Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 09, 2019 6:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Seeburg 1000
PostPosted: Oct Tue 08, 2019 2:46 pm 

I've fooling around with this Seeburg 1000 . The unit is complete and kind of works . I have done some recapping and the amp works but phono has real low volume (gain and master volume full on). I'm looking at the phono cartridge now . There is no info in the service manual that I can find about the cartridge except its a low impedance MM type . The phono will play the records so needles are good ,the speed is a little off (to be expected ) .I'll deal with the speed if I can get volume corrected . So my question is there any thing I do to the cartridge to get more output ,or test it to check output ? Watching mechanism operate is pretty is cool . Thanks

Post subject: Re: Seeburg 1000
PostPosted: Oct Tue 08, 2019 8:48 pm 

Have you checked and recapped the preamp section? Depending on the model you have, it may have a separate preamp box or the preamp can be part of the amplifier. There was a gain control on the separate box, not sure about the built in one. Also depending on the model, the preamp used a tube in
the preamp section on the earliest and a transistor on the later versions. The transistor is known to go
quiet and needing replacement.

The cartridge was made by Pickering for Seeburg and was based on the 350 or 371 home models and
was a moving iron design called the Fluxvalve, with output of 10mv. The styli for the 1000 was a special .5 mil for the small grooves and would either be red or green. These styli have not been available since the late 80's, the
styli used in the Seeburg 45 jukeboxes (either grey/diamond or blue/sapphire) will fit but have a larger styus tip of .7 mil which will cause more distortion and record wear on these special 16 rpm discs.

Be sure to clean the contacts on the back each stylus assembly, they look like a couple of metal dots, and the corresponding contacts on the cartridge.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 08, 2019 9:25 pm 

My 1000 has a phono preamp board with two 2N408's . I did remove the first one and diode tested it ,it pass except for CE test, it did show some leakage but only one way C-E I think . Some leakage like this normal for Germanium transistors I've read but how much is ok is not really known. My needles are light blue . I could switch the two 2n408 in MIC board or test the phono input with a signal . Thanks for info .

PostPosted: Oct Wed 09, 2019 12:33 am 

You could also plug in a turntable with a regular magnetic cartridge into the phono input and see if there
is any change.

PostPosted: Oct Wed 09, 2019 9:45 pm 

Good idea , thanks :D

PostPosted: Oct Fri 11, 2019 4:52 pm 

Ok I test it with MM turntable and volume level is the same . So the two 2N408 in Phono pre are the next suspects . I might have to use NTE replacements. I'll be back …………….

PostPosted: Oct Thu 24, 2019 1:45 am 

Location: Gold Country, (Stanislaus National Forest) California 95235
Just remember

1 those needles are going to be NOS - so even if they play without skipping they are still probably trashed or very rapidly approaching it.

2 They are only a half-mil like a talking book stylus - not 7/10 like stereo or 1 mil like mono

so if you go trying to find replacements and somebody just sends you a 2 pack of standard mono Seeburg T styli for an e.g. jukebox - your records are going to be in a world of hurt after that.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 06, 2019 4:15 pm 

Ok it was the 2N408 on the phono preamp board . I replaced both of them and the phono plays loud clear now . The speed is off but no real surprise . I think unit was tipped at some point and the oil ran out of the motor which doesn't help the old rubber idlers . I don't want to get into a full disassembling the mechanism .I'll see what I can do about the idlers . Watching the mech work is very cool . My mech is dry ,no grease on any gears ? looks like it was oiled though. its nice and clean no gunk.