Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 09, 2019 7:04 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 1970s Child Guidance Show 'N' Tell Disaster
PostPosted: Oct Sun 20, 2019 3:42 pm 

My youngest son is showing interest in records, so I had the idea I'd dig my old 70s Show 'N' Tell out of my folks' storage for him. When retrieved, the platter was loose on the spindle, rocking wildly to the touch, so I am presuming at some point it was dropped or damaged. It also would not select any speed.

In the process of removing the platter whatever mechanism that was underneath to secure the platter to the spindle mechanism totally shattered - when the platter came off there were many plastic pieces and splinters of plastic, and again I'd guess it was already damaged before I even touched it given how loose the platter was.

I lubricated the mechanism and got it at least to where the idler would connect and turn (at 33 1/3, cannot get it to go into 45 mode) but now the idler pushes the platter up as it turns, as there's nothing to secure it to the post. I attempted to superglue the spindle cap onto the platter, but with nothing to really secure it as it turns that's not really solving any problem other than keeping the platter centered.

Any suggestions for a creative way to get this to work, or should I just bite the bullet and buy another kids player for him that actually works? Just trying to save the $$$ if it's at all possible to find a way to get this to function, but I don't have much hope at this point.

Attachments:
IMG_7145[1].jpg
IMG_7145[1].jpg [ 669.87 KiB | Viewed 482 times ]
IMG_7147[1].jpg
IMG_7147[1].jpg [ 450.63 KiB | Viewed 482 times ]

Post subject: Re: 1970s Child Guidance Show 'N' Tell Disaster
PostPosted: Oct Sun 20, 2019 9:49 pm 

Best suggestion is to replace it. Most of these kiddie record players are not designed to be repairable, and actually have an unsafe setup for the amplifier.

Depending on the age of your kid, I would start with an old school type record player, like Audiotronics, Newcomb or Califone. The sound quality will be much higher. If he's old enough to be know to be careful, I would find a nice 1960's tube stereo suitcase record player with a voice of music or garrard changer. I rebuilt a 1963 Zenith flipdown for my then 10 year old niece's Christmas. She loved it.

PostPosted: Oct Mon 21, 2019 1:10 am 

I agree that unless you REALLY have some sentimental attachment to this, it's probably too far gone to save and about the only way you could save it would be to have an identical drive mechanism out of a junk kiddie phonograph to use for parts. On yours, it sounds like the plastic has aged and is very brittle. Even if you used epoxy to put it back together, it would probably soon break in another spot.

In the early '80's, I was loaned a green GE 4-speed show 'n' tell by a family member and it dated from the early '70's. For what it was, it sounded OK; but, it was all plastic and not worth putting much time or money into, had it stopped working.

These were made, in some form or the other, from about 1964 until well into the 1980's and they still pop up for sale fairly often on the auction sites.

I agree with what was said about getting an old classroom record player. They are still plentiful, were built like tanks, and will sound better than the average kiddie record player.

PostPosted: Oct Mon 21, 2019 2:48 am 

Thank you both - I actually have an 80s Califone that it didn’t even occur to me to give them - I’ll get it out tomorrow and get them going with it. Thanks again!

PostPosted: Oct Mon 21, 2019 6:01 am 

Quote:
I actually have an 80s Califone

Now you're talking....Much better choice..Just make sure he knows not to get into the innards of the player.

PostPosted: Oct Mon 21, 2019 10:39 pm 

Yes, give him the Califone, that way he can pass it on to his kids.