Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Thu 12, 2019 3:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: My first record player: Victrola V-105
PostPosted: Oct Thu 24, 2019 12:03 am 

Hello folks
I saw this unit on craigslist and it looked good to me, especially at the price, so now it’s mine.
According to the label inside it’s an RCA Victrola V-105.
Sorry about the long post but I’ve been trying to research it and not coming up with much besides a blurry schematic.
I’d like to know a little more about it, if possible. I’m planning to restore the radio and would like to get the phono working again, too, but I know ZERO about that.
Any info, advice, guidance, whatever… I would greatly appreciate!
Here’s some more info about the unit.
It’s in very clean condition for something that must be almost 80 years old (I think).
Minor dust on floor of housing interior and chassis upper surface. A lot less dust than I’ve seen inside younger radios.
There’s a “needle” in the cartridge.
I KNOW someone has been inside it more or less recently because it has a polarized power plug.
They attached it inside the chassis by cutting the cord wires and wrapping w/electrical tape… not re-soldering to its connections.
I also think maybe the dial lens has been replaced… it’s flexible like blister pak plastic.
As the pictures show it’s a light brown color except for mahogany (?) veneer trim.
Couple of light scratches here and there
The capacitors in the radio look good enough that I think it may be been re-capped.
I’ve worked on younger radios with brown waxy caps that looked a heck of a lot worse. The ones in this unit are clean cardboard.
But I haven’t really dug into it yet.
I tried to take a picture of the phono motor but I can’t get enough light in there. It’s really clean, too. It’s got a little fan blade on it.
The connector that joins the wires that come down from the tone arm to the wires on the chassis is configured like a light-bulb socket.
It's spring loaded, with flanges that you twist into the socket after you compress the spring.
Is this a standard connector type for old audio?
The seller said he never plugged it in, which was welcome news.
He also gave me a rack of old 78’s… they’re all two-sided, I think… some Columbia, some Victor, haven’t inventoried them.
I thought I was in trouble when I got the “restoring tube radios” bug.
Now I KNOW I’m in trouble because I’m looking at buying another Victrola in Pennsylvania tomorrow night!
Thanks for listening.
Jim

Post subject: Re: My first record player: Victrola V-105
PostPosted: Oct Thu 24, 2019 10:34 am 

Okay, let me know if this is how I should proceed with this unit:
First recap the electronics and take care of any obvious problems on the chassis and with the radio, then power it up gradually on my variac and see how it responds.
For the turntable I understand I should take it apart, clean and inspect, fix problems, reassemble and test.
Is this a good plan?
Can anyone suggest some resources on how to disassemble a turntable without tears? :roll:
How about online resources for parts? The voiceofmusic.com site doesn't seem to be up anymore.
Other recommendations?
Thanks
Jim

PostPosted: Oct Thu 24, 2019 11:39 am 

Werewolf Zero wrote:

How about online resources for parts? The voiceofmusic.com site doesn't seem to be up anymore.

Try this:
https://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/

PostPosted: Oct Thu 24, 2019 1:40 pm 

You don't really have to disassemble the motor if it is working. Oil it and it should be fine.
Grab a P-51-3 Pfanstehl cart from VOM and it is a direct replacement minus the smaller pin connectors.
Recap and you should be good to go.
Kirk

PostPosted: Oct Thu 24, 2019 10:16 pm 

Good luck...Watch the tracking weight on that arm. IIRC the P-51 is only good for up to about 9 grams.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 25, 2019 12:39 am 

Tbirdkid wrote:
Good luck...Watch the tracking weight on that arm. IIRC the P-51 is only good for up to about 9 grams.

I would think that a Pfanstiehl P51-3 would be just fine in that plastic tonearm.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 25, 2019 12:30 pm 

Thanks for the input... VOM is a GREAT resource!
OldRestorer, I read your how-to on cartridge rebuilding. I may someday take a stab at doing that myself. Replacing the current cartridge in the V-105 would give me one to practice on :twisted: . But getting the equipment to play again is my priority at this time. Thanks for the steer on the Pfanstehl P-51-3.
How does one adjust the tracking weight on this type of tone arm?
Thanks again
Jim

PostPosted: Oct Fri 25, 2019 2:40 pm 

Hello,
With the old cart removed the weight will be just about 14 grams? I cant remember exactly but I have redone a few of those deco arms and without the cart they are light. You can throw in a counter spring easily to lessen the weight if needed.

Pictured is one from a different tonearm but you get the idea. It will be easier on yours.
Kirk

Attachments:
IMG_8347.jpg
IMG_8347.jpg [ 410.12 KiB | Viewed 411 times ]