Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 16, 2019 8:00 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Edison Voicewriter Info??
PostPosted: Nov Sun 03, 2019 11:16 pm 

I am trying to find any technical or marketing information about the Edison VoiceWriter VP series dictating machines which were manufactured from about 1953 into the mid-1960s. They use thin flexible records made of translucent red plastic about the size of a 45. Edison introduced desktop dictating machines using this medium in the late 1940s, but introduced the portable VP models in 1953.

There are no schematics for any of these models on RadioMuseum.com, but only a few photos. I can also find no reference to them in the SAMS index, giving me the idea that the only repair option at the time was to return the machine to the Edison dealership who had their own internal documentation. Also these machines were sold through a dedicated sales force. I have not seen any marketing information other than magazine ads. There is very little reference to models.

Having collected a few of these and having looked at others, I see that there are several models which are electrically rather different and some with a slightly different tube lineup. The only schematic I’ve been able to find is for the original 1953 model which was featured in an audio magazine at the time (see below).

Does anyone have any servicing information/schematics for these machines, or marketing information which describes features of different models or tiers?

Models I am aware of are-- 76,500, VPC-1, VPD-3, VPS-1, ME-E, ME-T, EV-E, as well as what may be an internal model listing-- 68,000, 68,100, 68,200.

Thanks,

Steve

Attachments:
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 569.95 KiB | Viewed 383 times ]
VWS1.jpg
VWS1.jpg [ 87.93 KiB | Viewed 383 times ]
VWS.jpg
VWS.jpg [ 82.24 KiB | Viewed 383 times ]

Post subject: Re: Edison Voicewriter Info??
PostPosted: Nov Fri 08, 2019 11:37 pm 

pdf hits for... "VoiceWriter"
at David Gleason's website, americanradiohistory.com

"VoiceWriter" site:americanradiohistory.com
https://www.google.com/search?q=%22Voic ... 3252306000

Use quotation marks for exact phrase.
Greg.

Post subject: Re: Edison Voicewriter Info??
PostPosted: Nov Sat 09, 2019 4:36 am 

Thanks Greg!