Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Thu 12, 2019 4:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Two Monoblocks to Stereo, How to?
PostPosted: Nov Thu 07, 2019 4:43 am 

Attachment:
VM 560 MonoBlock.jpg
VM 560 MonoBlock.jpg [ 53.21 KiB | Viewed 300 times ]
Hi,
I have an old VM mono record player I am restoring that I would like to convert to a stereo unit. I have the original monoblock from the player and bought a twin of the same. I have no experience in pulling off this task but I am seeking advice for the safe way to do this from the experienced in this forum.

First, I believe the two units need to be powered by separate power cords. Is it feasible to connect two power lines to one switch to power them on together or might there be a junction block? Each monoblock also has a connection to the turntable switch to turn on the amp and turntable motor. How would I need to connect that?

I know I have to send the output signals from the turntable separated to each amp in which I already converted with a stereo ceramic phono cartridge and mounting the wires to RCA jacks I installed underside the TT.

There is no preamp so to speak on each monoblock but these did have a volume and tone control pots connected with capacitors and resistors via extension wires to reach the front of the cabinet, so I am assuming they are the preamps. I would need to change the pots to control each monoblock channel for stereo and am wondering what to look for. I have the capacitor/resistor rebuild kits which I am at task to do as well. I hope this is not something off the wall to do but I am sure there is a way. I am very good at following schematic diagrams, understanding most electrical internals and excellent at soldering. Thanks much for any help you can offer.

Post subject: Re: Two Monoblocks to Stereo, How to?
PostPosted: Nov Thu 07, 2019 4:23 pm 

Find out what the rating is for the controls, you'll need a schematic. find a modern, stereo pot with the same rating and connect the wires to the stereo pot, seperating the channels for each side into the seperate amps coming off the pot. You would eliminate the volume pot on the second amp.

As for powering both amps up, you might be able bridge in on the switch on the record player. You wont need the motor connection.

Another way to do it would be to bypass the switch on the second amp, connect the power cord to the primary of the first amp's transformer.

Hopefullly someone else will chime in and give you more options.