Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Tue 10, 2019 9:50 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Philco 41-608 Turntable
PostPosted: Nov Mon 11, 2019 6:58 am 

Hello all,
I have a Philco 41-608 restoration just about complete, but the turntable needs adjustment. I'm pretty sure it's a Chicago Webster direct drive, but I don't know what model I have. Can someone out there tell me which manual I should order.
Thanks,
Ed

Post subject: Re: Philco 41-608 Turntable
PostPosted: Nov Mon 11, 2019 11:10 pm 

PHOTOS please.
Hotwax

PostPosted: Nov Mon 18, 2019 4:16 am 

The 41-608 doesn't have a cartridge. It has a photo cell which will probably be dead. Also, the mirror stylus assembly is going to need new bushings.

Donald Cochrane

PostPosted: Nov Mon 18, 2019 10:52 pm 

If it is a Webster than it is a replacement record player. People in the 50's and 60's wanted to play 33 and 45 speeds.
They tossed the original players.
Kirk

PostPosted: Nov Sun 24, 2019 12:34 am 

Hi All,

Turns out it's a Philco direct drive, found the manual in the Philco yearbook for 1941. I replaced the photocells with Bill Thompson's mod, https://billthompson.us/bt/philco-beam- ... storation/
and it plays, though the volume is weak. I soaked the original bushings for the stylus in 303 and they're nice and pliable now.The little autotransformer that was originally installed between the chassis and the tonearm is missing, so I'm feeding the signal from the photocells direct to the phono input. If I increase the voltage to the light bulb the volume goes up (I'm powering the bulb with a couple of flashlight batteries right now.)

What light bulb is called out for the original BOL? I think if I can increase the brightness I can avoid having to amplify the tonearm output. Since I'm using DC for bulb power I could use any number of bulbs, as long as the filament is more or less straight like the original.

Final question, is there such a thing as a replacement stylus for the BOL? I understand the original was a hard plastic like nylon. My tonearm has a stylus on a short copper arm sort of attached over where the original was. It works but it's easily bent out of position, not ideal.

Ed

PostPosted: Nov Sun 24, 2019 3:10 am 

The original was a sapphire. I have a couple of extra transformers. Make sure you check the rubber bushing around the light bulb and the bakelite disc behind the bulb. There was a rubber boot behind the disc and it disintegrates, causing the bulb to short out to the frame.

Donald