Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sun 08, 2019 10:58 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Victrola Florenza, anyone?
PostPosted: Nov Tue 12, 2019 9:11 pm 

Greetings!

I recently became the proud owner (ie: I inherited) a Victrola Florenza. Plays beautifully and with the exception of a few minor scratches (and one major one), overall, it's in pretty good shape. My goal is to get things back as close to original as possible.

Now for the bad news: it's missing a bunch of pieces/parts that, while they don't impact the record-playing portion of the Florenza, are pretty substantial. For example, the legs are missing (it now sits directly on the floor) and the entire Radiola 25 it came with has been removed.

The problem I'm running into is that it appears the Victrola Florenza was a pretty rare model. Even a Web search turns up very little. So I was wondering if anyone out there has a Florenza or at least knows if most of the parts were "standard" for the time period--in other words, will cabinet screws, grill cloth, etc., from a 1926 Victrola work with my Florenza?

More than happy to provide pics (or, in the case of missing parts, the location they are missing from).

Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: Victrola Florenza, anyone?
PostPosted: Nov Thu 21, 2019 1:13 pm 

Hello and welcome to the Antique Radio Forums! :D

Radiola 25 parts are not hard to come by, but the panel configuration and mounting hardware used is likely only going to be found in the Florenza, or possibly another Victor with the Radiola 25.

You might get more info by posting to The Talking Machine forums.

Restoration of a Radiola 25 wouldn't be for the beginner. Much of the circuitry is encased in a metal can (called a Catacomb) filled with a rosin compound.
They have to be melted out and carefully repaired. You could seek out a local radio club with a member willing to help with that, or ship the Catacomb to someone who could repair it. Beyond that the 25 isn't that hard to restore. Beyond the catacomb, the tubes (UX-199) would be the most pricey at over $100 for all six.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Nov Thu 21, 2019 2:55 pm 

Florenza also known as a Victor VV9-1

Find some information here:

https://www.americanradiohistory.com/AR ... 3-1928.pdf

Notes pdf pg 596

https://www.americanradiohistory.com/AR ... 1932-A.pdf

Data pdf pg 121

The Radiola radio catacomb is unique to the Radiola 25 and some other phono/radio models and uses UX 199's and a 120 as a last audio tube. These tubes are not as "pricey" as the v-99 bayonet base. This is a battery operated radio.

Major problem is the the panel from the 25 is not the same as in the Victor model. The electronics would be VV9-1the same. Other issue is the specialized acoustical valve and the mount for the reproducer also specific to Victors. If these parts are missing it will be far more difficult to reproduce.

The phono does not "play" through the radio electronics.

The Radiola 25 also uses a loop (designed for the VV9-1) or a loop coupler coil for external antenna and ground. The loop or coupler are part of the tuning system of the radio and substitutes must have the correct inductance for the radio to tune properly.

The radio does have one advantage, uses the wooden horn of the phone for improved tone...

There are a couple of ARF members who collect phono/radios who may have parts units.

I have repaired a few catacombs, not difficult, tedious...

Ebay often has remnants of these machines. I may have the radio but not the panel or reproducer.

YMMV

Chas

PostPosted: Nov Thu 21, 2019 4:03 pm 

azenithnut wrote:
Hello and welcome to the Antique Radio Forums! :D

Steve,

Thank you for the warm welcome! And from a fellow Ohioan, no less!

And no worries: I was not going to attempt to restore the Radiola on my own! Truth be told, my original plan was to simply get all the parts and pieces together (non-working would be fine) just so that it LOOKED original. It was shortly after that when I realized that the Florenza was somewhat rare and that parts might be hard to come by (even non-working ones). You're also correct in that the "panel" for the Radiola 25 does appear to be somewhat unique to the Florenza, which sort of makes my search to find one a bit harder!

I have also joined Talking Machines and have actually been able to find someone who had an extra original screw that I was missing. My wife had to laugh when she saw how excited I was over finding a single, old screw!

PostPosted: Nov Thu 21, 2019 4:16 pm 

Chas wrote:
Florenza also known as a Victor VV9-1

Find some information here: Chas

Chas,

Amazing stuff! Thank you for sharing!

Sadly, I'm quickly learning that I might have bitten off more than I can chew with my dream of restoring this Florenza. I thought that since the phonograph portion was complete (and functional) and that the cabinet had "good bones", it would just be a matter of time before I came across the different missing pieces (even non-functioning ones) I needed to make the Florenza complete again, if only from a visual perspective. Little did I know that even photographs of the Florenza are hard to come by, let alone parts.

I can confirm that the Radiola for the Florenza (at least the one I have) came with a loop coupler coil. It was housed inside a panel on the left side of the cabinet. Sadly, that is missing, too and I have been unable to locate any photographs that show the "setup". ..but at least I can see the screw holes where it was removed from!

Thank you again for providing those links. I now have a little light reading to do!