Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sun 15, 2019 12:38 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Forum Change and Rules Addition
PostPosted: Nov Fri 15, 2019 3:52 am 
Site Admin

This forum exists to help members. They can ask questions and get answers and help from other. Topics exist to aid more than the original poster. Your question may well be that of others. Your answer may help more than the person who asked in the first place. This is why there are decades of postings made available.

Every now and then someone decides to go through and replace the text in all of their posts with *** or something like that. This is not only extremely rude to the members that put time and effort into their responses, it usually results in worthless threads that would take hours to clean up.

Allowing the editing of your posts was a convenience afforded members so they could fix typos and errors they may spot in the future. This privledge has been abused, and editing is now restricted to one hour from the time the post was submitted. After that, only a moderator can make changes.

The following wording will be added to the Forum Rules:

When registering a user is required to provide information for their membership. This information is publicly viewable. Content posted in the forums is publicly viewable to everyone visiting the site.

I thought it was obvious that things you publicly post would be publicly viewable, but apparently not, so the overly long rules are getting even longer.

The edit will be made when I get reliable Internet access to do so.

Post subject: Re: Forum Change and Rules Addition
PostPosted: Nov Fri 15, 2019 4:11 am 

Alan, this board is not the only that suffers from that abuse, and dialing it down to allowing one hour to edit a post is plenty of time for legitimate corrections.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 15, 2019 4:52 am 

I would like to go back and correct some things I did 50 years ago but it isn't going to happen.
One hour is plenty of time to find the errors in postings to the forums. I assume the edit button is going to disappear after an hour.

On another subject, I'm confused by the time stamp on Fifties' posting. I thought he was in CA but the time seems to be several hours off for his time zone or mine.

Edit: Maybe the posting times haven't been corrected for DST? I thought my posting times were usually correct but this one is an hour off.

Jay

Last edited by JnTX on Nov Fri 15, 2019 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 15, 2019 4:54 am 

Frequently make corrections/additions/clarifications. Agree, an hour should be plenty.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 15, 2019 5:18 am 

Why don't you deal with the bad actors.

Some time back my image host (PBase) made some server alterations and all my URLs for the images I have included in my posts had to be updated.

I have (here at arf) in excess of 1000 images compiled by me, and paid for by me that had to be updated. Not an easy task.

I still have many to correct - - how can I do this now?
Greg.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 15, 2019 5:24 am 

I don't agree with the 1 hour time limit and I will explain. If someone posts puts a ad in the classified forum with multiple items and he sells one or two, the seller usually edits the post stating X and Y was sold but item Z is still available. Now the moderator will be very busy editing the posts.

Why not limit this to the offending member with a warning?

Sal

PostPosted: Nov Fri 15, 2019 5:26 am 

Jay, in Board preferences via User Control Panel, you can select different timezones, with or without DST

Greg.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 15, 2019 5:27 am 

Sometimes we start a new post to ask for help, and when the issue is solved, we edit the original post to say "Solved" or something to that effect.
Will we still be able to do this?

Thank you!
Bob

PostPosted: Nov Fri 15, 2019 5:46 am 

If it's the guys that are deleting their photos (and requests for help or I.D.) after a few days, disabling the edit feature won't stop them from pulling the photos from their hosting site.

I've been watching these people for some time, and altering the rules for everyone doesn't make sense to me.

One or two people with paranoia or some other mental health problem shouldn't ruin it for the majority of decent folk here.

Greg.

Edit: Why don't you implement your original rules?

Strike one...

"A second offense will result in a ban from posting in the forums for 7 days. This includes posting under a different account as well as the user account of the violation. Posting under a different user name while under suspension will result in a permanent ban.

A third offense will result in a 30 day posting suspension.

A fourth offense will result in a 90 day posting suspension.

A fifth offense a permanent and irrevocable ban from participation in the forums".

PostPosted: Nov Fri 15, 2019 6:23 am 

Yes, I think this change will effect how postings are managed in the Classifieds. It will no longer be possible to edit the subject to indicate sold nor the original post to indicate a price change or sale of individual items. Navigation of postings will become a bit more awkward.

Reverting to WTB with only one item/post seems to be the route to take...

Oh, well times change...

I do think this will curtail most of my lengthy descriptions of 20's radio issues. I need a break...

Chas

PostPosted: Nov Fri 15, 2019 6:35 am 

egg wrote:
Jay, in Board preferences via User Control Panel, you can select different timezones, with or without DST

Greg.

I have the correct time zone and DST checked but still an hour off.
Jay

PostPosted: Nov Fri 15, 2019 6:47 am 
Site Admin

This is a recurring problem. The latest defacement involved the removal of about 1,920 posts, going back several years. All the deleted posts exist in backup files, but the effort to sort and match everything up is unwieldy.

I'll have to explore making an exception in the Classified section.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 15, 2019 7:15 am 

Well, he has been a busy little beaver...

viewtopic.php?p=3067197#p3067197
viewtopic.php?p=2735548#p2735548
viewtopic.php?p=2629451#p2629451

Obviously he has left the building.

Still, altering the long-standing privileges for everyone because another guy has gone off-the-reservation doesn't sit well with me.
It's almost three years since this happened before, when a member deleted his postings en masse.

Yet... we are the ones now paying the costs for the actions of some looney tune.
Greg.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 15, 2019 8:14 am 

JnTX wrote:

On another subject, I'm confused by the time stamp on Fifties' posting. I thought he was in CA but the time seems to be several hours off for his time zone or mine.

Be glad that you're not fifties, who always seems to be confoozeled, eh eh. Yes, here in California, with standard time enabled. Right now it's 11:14pm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Fri 15, 2019 9:38 am 

I am sorry Alan this goes on here also....... Alot of sites limit edit time because of this.......... Its sad but reality I guess.......

Thank you for keeping stuff good here :)

PostPosted: Nov Fri 15, 2019 11:26 am 

egg wrote:

Why would someone want to do this? I don't understand their motive.

-Greg G

PostPosted: Nov Fri 15, 2019 11:57 am 

My perspective comes from being active on several fora over the past 20 years---and putting in time as a moderator on two of them.

Dealing with individuals takes more time, so one needs simple rules and procedures that are efficient. In this case, it seems that the central issue is preventing the destruction in the first place. With that in mind, I support the change.

In the limit, it is not necessary to edit posts---all you have to do is post a correction. In fact, it can become very confusing to edit something based on later comments. I do this when I make dumb mistakes, but it is not really necessary----it's quite acceptable to make a mistake, be corrected, and then acknowledge the correction. This is--in fact--how we do it in person, on the telephone, etc.

In the classifieds, we don't need things saved for posterity, and it would make sense to allow the OP to completely delete the thread---or maybe to automatically delete it after some reasonable time limit.

Veering off-topic a bit---pictures are an issue independent of individual behavior. Using hosting sites for pictures can cause history to get lost through the actions of 3rd parties---why not just attach pictures directly?

Again, put yourself in the shoes of the administrators and moderators---keep them happy and everyone benefits.....

PostPosted: Nov Fri 15, 2019 1:03 pm 

Well, this is deeply disappointing. I just replaced old Photobucket links in one of my threads with new links. The thread is worthless with the old Photobucket links. I often see people edit to add additional information to their original post when it comes to light. It saves reading thru pages of posts to get to that info. If a few people ruin their own threads by deleting the messages, so be it. 99.9% of the people here don't do those things so we should not have to be punished. If a member deletes their posts without valid reason, they should be suspended or kicked off the list.

As usual, a very small amount of people ruin it for everyone else.

Last edited by Scott on Nov Fri 15, 2019 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 15, 2019 1:19 pm 

I totally disagree with the new rule Alan. If I make an error in my post I want to be able to correct it. Let's say I make a mistake and don't realize it until the next time I'm on the forum, the next day or maybe two days later. A forty-eight or 72 hour limit would be much fairer. It's my post and I should be able to fix it if its wrong. Also agree on the problem caused with the classifieds.

Museum Curator
https://roaringtwentiesantiqueradiomuseum.com/

PostPosted: Nov Fri 15, 2019 1:36 pm 
Site Admin

Ask a moderator.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 99 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next