Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Wed 26, 2020 12:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Victrola one sided 78 record
PostPosted: Jun Sun 18, 2017 9:44 pm 

andyjon100 wrote:
The family already raided the place and took what they wanted...They don't want to waste the time selling the place because the nursing home would just take all of the proceeds (what little there would be)...There is no bank involved - he's 80 something and it's the house he grew up in. There's nothing worth taking from the house proper. The neighborhood is like a DMZ. He's one of the last holdouts when the neighborhood changed. The guy had electronic stuff up the wazoo. I was told the garage was FILLED with chassis', parts & equipment. All of that disappeared when they found the garage door kicked in. It's only a matter of time before the house is next - the houses next door on either side are vacant as are the houses across the street....My initial thought of the records was "meh, leave 'em", but I can't help that nagging feeling that for him to have hoarded all of those, there MUST be something there - or, with MY luck - not!

Look for early labels or labels that have a high number of desirable records pressed under them (Paramount is a good one that comes to mind, or the Victor scroll label of the late '20s/early '30s. Black label Columbia Viva-Tonals have a lot of desirable ones too). Also, look at record labels online and try to get a feel for the earlier ones. For me, anything prior to the mid 1930s is of interest. The exception is early R&B and rock and roll records of the late '40s through mid '50s. Most mainstream titles from about 1940 onward have little collector interest. Unfortunately 99.9% of what you find today are the ones that sold millions of copies each.

Oh - and whatever you do, clean them only with distilled water. DO NOT use any kind of commercially prepared record cleaner, as these are for LPs and 45s only. 78s are pressed in shellac, which is soluble in alcohol.

PM me for my email address

PostPosted: Apr Sat 28, 2018 6:26 am 

I have a Victor Oct 1, 1911 purple label Harry Lauder, one sided record. I'd never seen one before. What is its worth?

PostPosted: Apr Sat 28, 2018 3:13 pm 

Location: Gold Country, (Stanislaus National Forest) California 95235
Google search reveals similar discs selling for $10-$25 - which is a lot. Unfortunately the vast majority of 78's have most places either not taking them in for resale in the first place or blowing them out for pennies or tenths of pennies on the dollar for use as a clay pigeon.

If you have more than one 78 to sell you might try Nauck's http://www.78rpm.com as the few that are worth money seem to get an acceptable price there vs the common market.

Don't go buying up thousands of random 78s or inheriting them from thrift shops etc trying to flip them though - because you'll end up with a handful of something you can sell and a thousand clay pigeons.

PostPosted: Apr Sat 28, 2018 3:43 pm 

Harry Lauder records on the purple Victor label from that era are very common. They don't have much monetary value at all, but they can be fun to listen to.

Here's a listing of sold listings on Ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/Records/176985 ... Complete=1

PostPosted: May Sat 05, 2018 4:11 am 

Ken Doyle wrote:
Harry Lauder records on the purple Victor label from that era are very common. They don't have much monetary value at all, but they can be fun to listen to.

Agreed. I'd say the value of this one is a couple of bucks at most and that's if you can find someone who needs it to fill a space in a collection.

PostPosted: Jun Mon 18, 2018 4:01 am 

I understand that this is an old thread but I found an interesting 1923 internal RCA memorandum in the RCA archives at the Hagley Museum that relates to this discussion.

Attachments:
RCA Single side records.jpg
RCA Single side records.jpg [ 142.83 KiB | Viewed 1094 times ]

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries." A. A. Milne

PostPosted: Jun Wed 20, 2018 1:56 am 

Here is a photo of an RCA-Victor Red Seal record I have which is one sided.
It has a spiral groove to take the pickup to the center for changers.

-Steve

Attachments:
rcaredseal.jpg
rcaredseal.jpg [ 149.22 KiB | Viewed 1069 times ]

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Sat 03, 2018 8:53 pm 

ndiamone wrote:
Dude111 wrote:
I have one record,its about 1/2 inch thick. Looks like it made out of wood or something.. My crosley plays it but LOW VOLUME due to my needle not being BIG ENOUGH to get to the whole groove.....
Check and see if it's an Edison Record or an Edison Re-Creation. These fit the description but the reason they play at such a low volume on your Crosley is not necessarily because your needle is too small but because the vertical component of your cartridge is either minimal or nonexistent.

Ya that could be buddy.... This edison is 80rpm not 78 ... I can have my crosley go 80 by putting the speed switch RIGHT BEFORE IT CLICKS IN THE 78 SPOT........

The two music pieces on this edison record sound insane!!!!! - There is so much depth and width in the recording,it sounds fabulous!!

I tell ya guys 78s sound the BEST on the crosley!!! (I do have a couple 1 sided 78s also)

PostPosted: Nov Tue 20, 2018 1:18 pm 

A few years ago now I had heard of a yard sale at a house that was being torn down and although it was the last day of the disposal I went up anyway. The place was a shambles with junk and newspapers scattered everywhere and I decided it was too late to find anything. On the way out I spotted under a piece of furniture and newspapers, some records, most broken and junk but I persued the search anyway and found an original “Mean Conductor Blues” by Ed Bell on a Paramount label in a sleeve and a copy of “Maggie Campbell Blues” by Tommy Johnson on a Victor label also protected with a sleeve. There was nothing else there of the slightest interest. These were in very good condition and I sold them for a nice profit. So, you never know!

PostPosted: Nov Tue 27, 2018 9:00 pm 

Merrill Bancroft wrote:
A few years ago now I had heard of a yard sale at a house that was being torn down and although it was the last day of the disposal I went up anyway. The place was a shambles with junk and newspapers scattered everywhere and I decided it was too late to find anything. On the way out I spotted under a piece of furniture and newspapers, some records, most broken and junk but I persued the search anyway and found an original “Mean Conductor Blues” by Ed Bell on a Paramount label in a sleeve and a copy of “Maggie Campbell Blues” by Tommy Johnson on a Victor label also protected with a sleeve. There was nothing else there of the slightest interest. These were in very good condition and I sold them for a nice profit. So, you never know!

ANY late '20s Paramount blues record found in the wild today is worth bragging about! Finding a Victor scroll Tommy Johnson would make my day, too, regardless of condition.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 30 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2