Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Thu 21, 2019 4:44 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Any Mohawk experts ?
PostPosted: Apr Fri 23, 2010 1:18 pm 

Hopefully there is a Canadian Mohawk expert around.

I'm trying to research this model for a friend of mine. This radio was found in his dad's basement after he passed away.

The info that is printed on a tag on the chassis reads "Mohawk Radio Limited Toronto - Lyric Superheterodyne-8". I searched through the Radio College of Canada information that I have and came up with a schematic for a "Mohawk S-8" (1931-32)...... I'm wondering if a "Mohawk Superheterodyne - 8" and a "Mohawk S-8" could be one and the same ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Fri 23, 2010 5:55 pm 

Hi Dennis,
Try Googling Mohawk Radio Corporation, Lyric Radio or All America Radio Corp.......I came up with a lot of hits , as well as, available schematics (JustRadios for one). Most of the hitsm, I'd have to look at while home....at work now, and cannot get to those sites.
Good Luck - nice looking (late 20's?) console.

Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Fri 23, 2010 7:28 pm 

The styling says 1931-32. What's the tube lineup?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Fri 23, 2010 9:01 pm 

Hi,

Checking in LLoyd Swackhammer's "Radios of Canada" I find an advertisement for your radio. It is the S7 console model, superhetrodyne with spotlight tuning.

MYE canada lists the S7 as being on page 14 of RCC under Mohawk. Tubes listed are 24, 24, 27, 35, 35, 47 & 80.

I can supply the RCC schematic if needed.

Ed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Fri 23, 2010 9:36 pm 

PM sent.

Ed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Fri 23, 2010 11:58 pm 

http://www.radioremembered.org/trdirm.htm

Listed "All American Mohawk Corp.

Is that a different Mohawk? or same company joined with the Canadians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Oh well,. Guess I will just find out for myself.

Last edited by JMBell_01 on Apr Sat 24, 2010 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Sat 24, 2010 3:04 am 

Thanks to all who responded. I will be getting my first "in-person" examination of the radio in question sometime next week. I'll be able to, at that time, get the tube line-up nailed down.

Ed, Thanks for the info that you've sent. Very useful. I looked under "Mohawk" page 14 of my RCC cd and that page was for a model SA-6 and a model S-75. Maybe I am not looking in the right place ?
I found the Mohawk S-7 on page 7 and the Mohawk S-8 on page 8. I'm thinking the S-8 might be the schematic I need, but until I actually nail down the tube line-up I can't be sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Sat 24, 2010 4:21 am 

Expert by no means but I have noticed a couple of Canadian built Crosleys that have Mohawk manufacturers tags on the chassis. These examples look to be about 10 years newer than this console. My point is, maybe some cross referencing with Crosley might find you more info. I don't know when the Crosley/Mohawk association began and for how long it lasted.

Bruce Webster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Sat 24, 2010 4:52 am 

Bruce Webster wrote:
Expert by no means but I have noticed a couple of Canadian built Crosleys that have Mohawk manufacturers tags on the chassis. These examples look to be about 10 years newer than this console. My point is, maybe some cross referencing with Crosley might find you more info. I don't know when the Crosley/Mohawk association began and for how long it lasted.

Bruce Webster

I have also owned Crosley sets, Canadian market ones from the post war period, that were made by Moffats Ltd. Moffats made stoves and fridges and were still doing so up until ten years ago at least.
American made Lyrics have some sort of connection to Wurlitzer, I think that A.A.M made them and Wurlitzer marketed them under the Wurlitzer name.
Usually when I see the name Mohawk connected with anything in Canada it is either an All American Mohawk imported from the U.S or an Addison. Some Addison radios say "Mohawk Radio" others say "Addison Industries" on the build plate, I have examples of both. Speaking of appliances there is a connection between Addison and Norge appliances as the factory service sheets have both the Addison and Norge names printed on them.
Best Regards
Arran

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Sun 25, 2010 4:55 pm 

Arran,
One of the Mohawk built Crosleys in question that I recently purchased looks like this one although it's Mohawk tag indentifies it as a model J529. It's intersting that so much farming out of manufacturing went on between companies but given the times I guess they were brainstorming any number of ways to make money, let alone stay afloat.

http://www.radioatticarchives.com/image ... 49-A_(1940)_Stone.jpg

Boy, do I remember the Norge brand but you had to dig deep into my old grey matter to drag that one out. All the Addison named products in this town died long ago too....all but one! You can still buy a new Addison Cadillac off the original family dealership.

Bruce Webster