Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Fri 03, 2021 9:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Sun 02, 2011 2:38 am 

Some day, I'm going to get a serious multitube phono from the late fifties, early sixties, about as old as me. I'm new to the hobby and working on my first phono,a Webcor Holiday two tube 1153-1, and an old four tube no-name cathedral radio. If I get both of these working, I'm going to do my research and get something I can really enjoy! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Sun 02, 2011 3:26 am 

"vmguy",
Thanks for all the information,it sure sounds like a very nice sounding portable!

I'd love to hear one in person.

I look for record players all the time too,but never see any nice portables come up for sale locally,Ebay is usually the only place,but often the prices go very high,and then of course there's shipping.

That vibrasonic model is on my "wish list" too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Sun 02, 2011 11:00 am 

vmguy wrote:
... And when I hooked my Bose 301's to it just for laughs, I was amazed at the deep rich Hi-Fi sound I got from this Motorola...

The speaker designs were different back then. The Motorola amp is by far better than its speaker system, especially on the low end. That was true of many different makes and models.
I have a pair of Interaudio made by Bose speakers from the '80s. They are small ported enclosures using a 6½ inch woofer and a cone tweeter. They are always a big improvement on the older sets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Sun 02, 2011 11:55 am 

I'll bet this Motorola console will rattle the floor joists. It pulls 190 watts of power, so it's got to be a beast. The cabinet is rough, but it's restorable.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-MOTOROLA-St ... 3a61eb2010

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Sun 02, 2011 3:32 pm 

Youre right Larry,
Just look at that speaker setup too!

I used to have a Motorola console with the large center channel woofer and vibrasonic and that one sounded really good too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Mon 03, 2011 3:06 am 

You know, Fellas, when I see a young person with a Motorola cell phone or I see these coaches at football games wearing Motorola headphones, I always make it a point to tell whoever I am with that the company putting those things out today used to make fantastic stereo systems 40 or 50 years ago. They just look at me.
Larry, I had a Motorola console similar to that SK14M model you showed us from Ebay. I found it on a sidewalk waiting to be picked up by the bulk trash collectors. This was 1993. I asked the owner if they cared if I took it with me and they said go for it. I recapped it and put in a new speaker and needle and you should have heard the sound coming from that cabinet. I played some 1950's Capitol recordings by Frank Sinatra on it and the fidelity was thrilling. Such sound and power. I had it until 1995. We moved and I could not keep it. I gave it away. Doug, after hearing my portable Motorola with the Bose, it was hard to go back to the original speakers, but I must say they do a pretty darn good job for portable speakers, but Bose is a tough act to follow. Hi-Fi In Fiberglass, if you do look for any Motorola portables, I would personally go after the SH-12N or the SH-17S series. These look and sound great and I think you will be happy when you score one of these.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Tue 04, 2011 2:48 am 

Thanks "vmguy",now if I could only find some!

I don't know what it is about Capitol records from the late '50's but they always sound fantastic,especially Frank Sinatra and Nat king cole.

Last night I listened to Franks 1958 "love is a kick" on Columbia and it blew me away too,so maybe it's all Frank Sinatra records!

I have to admit I really like the feel of some of Frank Sinatras Columbia work,"love is a kick" had some very lively top flight arrangements and was much more upbeat than some of his Capitol records from that same time period.

Oh yeah,Tennesee Ernies "old rockin ern" on Capitol is great too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Tue 04, 2011 11:35 am 

Don't forget Peggy Lee and "Fever". Nelson riddle and his Orchestra backed up Frank and had a few of their own hits on Capitol, the same with Less Baxter in 1956, The Poor People of Paris Hit number one. The very last bass note on the record is so low that not many phonographs can reproduce it. Capitol records were premium.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Tue 04, 2011 5:38 pm 

Yeah,Peggy Lee is a great singer.
I have her "Latin ala Lee" & "ole 'ala lee" Capitol albums which feature arrangements by Jack Marshall,the music director on the munsters tv show.

Frank Sinatra had lots of talented arrangers backing him up,Billy May,Nelson Riddle,Gordon Jenkins,Axel Stordahl,etc.

I really like Billy May,he started out with Alvino Reys orchestra.

Incidentally Alvino Rey was also a Capitol recording artist.
I have his "ping pong" & "a swingin' fling" lps.

Last edited by Hi-Fi in Fiberglass on Jan Tue 04, 2011 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Tue 04, 2011 6:18 pm 

There are lots of LP's that are excellent for HiFi listening but the 2 that come immediately to my mind are Carribean Moonlight by Les Baxter On Capitol and Quiet Village by Martin Denny on Liberty. The sound quality and the music on these LP's is really good and these albums will really let you hear the highs AND lows of your HiFi or Stereo sets from the late 50's-early 60's. They sound absolutely awesome on my Rek-O-Kut CVS restoration deck through my Bose 301's as well. Speaking for myself, one great thing that CD's did for the music industry was to cause record companies to re-issue tons of the great Easy Listening HiFi era recordings that they call Ultra Lounge today. Martin Denny, Les Baxter, Marty Gold, Hugo Winterhalter, Nelson Riddle... I could go on and on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Tue 04, 2011 10:03 pm 

"vmguy"

If you really want to push your Hi-Fi into the stratosphere I offer these three words:

Juan Garcia Esquivel!

If you've never experienced "sonorama" before prepare to blast off for other worlds and other sounds!

I simply can't say enough about Esquivel and his Sonorama arrangements!

Everytime I listen to his first American album from 1957 on RCA "To love again" I am amazed by the beautifully futuristic and bizzare arrangements and the way he used background vocals!

I have every record the man ever put out but one (Cabaret Tragico soundtrack)

Thankfully as you mentioned much of his body of work has been released on cd.

To date "Latin-Esque" his RCA "stereo action" record which was recorded in two seperate studios using two seperate orchestras for purer seperation,is the only album which hasn't made it to cd in it's entirety...at least in America.

You're right,thankfully much of the music that society had turned it's back on for so long was re-released in cd form during the so called "lounge" or "space age bachelor pad" music revival.

I have even seen some of Bob Thompsons albums make it to cd,but still no re-issue of Dean Elliotts "Zounds!,what sounds!" or Jack Fascinatos "music from a surplus store".....and what about Frank Hunters "white goddess"?

Last edited by Hi-Fi in Fiberglass on Jan Tue 04, 2011 11:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Tue 04, 2011 10:18 pm 

Thanks for reminding me about Esquivel, Hi-Fi In Fiberglass. He had a unique musical vision to say the least. Along those lines you should check out a song by Marty Gold called "Rush Hour". It is on Side 4 from an LP called "24 Pieces Of Gold". Pure musical HiFi insanity but very clever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Tue 04, 2011 11:16 pm 

vmguy wrote:
Thanks for reminding me about Esquivel, Hi-Fi In Fiberglass. He had a unique musical vision to say the least. Along those lines you should check out a song by Marty Gold called "Rush Hour". It is on Side 4 from an LP called "24 Pieces Of Gold". Pure musical HiFi insanity but very clever.

Thanks!
I have never heard that song by Marty Gold before and don't have the album.
The only album of his I have is "soundpower"
I went on YouTube to see if it had been posted there and nothing,so I'll have to find the album.

I forgot to mention my favorite Les Baxter albums,"space escapade",and "music out of the moon"

Music out of the moon,Perfume Set to Music and Music for peace of mind all feature Dr.Samuel j. Hoffman on theremin.

It's too bad we didn't make much more strange "jetsons" music than we did.

I only wish Esquivel would have released more albums than he did and kept his "Sonorama" concept undiluted up to the end.

He had even remarked many years later that he wished he had concentrated more of studio recording than his live shows in Las Vegas.

Post subject: Re: Motorola SH12N Wow!
PostPosted: Sep Thu 16, 2021 12:56 am 

I have a Motorola Sh12N turntable and need a new needle/cartridge and would appreciate if someone could tell me what kind I need and where can I can find one?

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 34 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2