Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Thu 19, 2019 7:17 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Grill Cloth Tips ?
PostPosted: Jul Mon 02, 2012 3:48 pm 

After ironing, I use a hot-glue gun to install the cloth; I start at one corner and anchor it with a bead, line the pattern up, pull it tight, anchor again with a bead, and so on. This has worked very well for me.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 07, 2019 10:13 pm 

I jacked up my Philco "V" patterned cloth today. Undoubtedly the hardest cloth in the world to get right. One ripple or unbalanced pull across the face and it looks like #@$%. I ultimately got it all straight, but the baffle hole is wavy and not tight. It looks horrible; $30 worth of horrible. :roll:

I'm really liking the metal screen idea. Seems that would give it enough support to stay in place and not wavy.

First, I guess I'll order more cloth... (damn-it)....

PostPosted: Feb Thu 07, 2019 10:57 pm 

Spray/mist both sides with lukewarm water.
First... make sure that your grille-cloth is colorfast.

Depending on the amount of synthetic fibers - some will shrink more than others!

Let it dry naturally - repeat if necessary.
Protect the woodwork... :)

Greg.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 08, 2019 1:34 am 

egg wrote:
Spray/mist both sides with lukewarm water.

First... make sure that your grille-cloth is colorfast.

Depending on the amount of synthetic fibers - some will shrink more than others!

Let it dry naturally - repeat if necessary.
Protect the woodwork... :)

Greg.

Yeah, Greg. I've wet this twice already. The cloth is not shrinking much, if any. I finally took it back out and carefully removed the cloth back down past the 11" speakerhole. I then carefully stretched it from the center to the long end of the board and stapled it. Then worked my way outward to the edges of each side. It looks fine now, but was a real pain to get right. I didn't even have to buy new cloth! :)

PostPosted: Feb Fri 15, 2019 5:07 am 

For larger speakers, I like the way Scott radio cloth is attached: border pressed into saw kerfs with small stripes of wood.
My variation - using .125" screen door spline. If no saw kerf, cut one with a table saw: blade width 1/8 " and 1/8" deep.
I suppose a router would work, too. With thick cloth, maybe a bit deeper than 1/8th. Avoid any mounting screw holes.
With delicate cloth, lightly sand the kerf edge to avoid cloth snags while positioning the cloth during installation.
Be sure your saw kerfs are I/2 inch or more away from the grill opening. Put the speaker board in place and outline the opening with a pencil.
Practice the below method on some scrap plywood and some scrap cloth about the heft of old bed sheet to get the feel of this procedure..
Buy a package of .125 inch screen door spline and the spline tool (preferable with plastic wheels, rather than metal) at hardware store.
Iron the cloth with steam setting etc as described above in this thread.
Start at one edge and press the whole cloth length into the kerf and press in the screen door spline using the tool.
Same for the opposite side. pressing the cloth into the kerf should put some tension into the cloth. Be mindful of distorting the pattern.
Then do the same with the other two sides - adjusting the tension as you go.
If the cloth is a bit warped, or the pattern looks uneven, pull out the spline and try again.
When satisfied, cut away the excess cloth just outside of the spline with a sharp blade like an exact-o knife or box cutter.
Position the speaker board in the cabinet. Use an ice pick or other pointed tool before installing any screws that would penetrate the speaker cloth to avoid snagging threads that could ruin the cloth..
I seldom need any glue as the spline is sufficient, and it will be pressed between the cabinet and the speaker board further securing it.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 25 posts ]  Moderator: Peter Go to page Previous  1, 2