Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Tue 19, 2019 2:00 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Grunow 1152
PostPosted: Sep Tue 25, 2012 3:55 pm 

I have located one of these (Grunow1152) at a local antique shop. Cabinet is in very good shape with only a little finish problems on the upper corners where it looks like the finish has worn off from people placing their hands there to move the set. The tag says it works (don't they all). It has the original owners manual with it. Appears to be in relatively good shape and complete chassis wise. Any info on these sets and what it may be worth? The dealer is asking $175.00 (no way) and says he's "negotiable". I thought if it was still there later this month, I'd make an offer. Thanks for any info.

Post subject: Re: Grunow 1152
PostPosted: Sep Tue 25, 2012 5:39 pm 

Assuming it does work, and has been electrically restored and isn't bad cosmetically, I wouldn't think $175 is too bad honestly. It's a pretty rare 11-tube radio from 1934 with push-pull 45s for audio output which should sound pretty good. 45s are the precursor to 2A3s. You might offer $100-125 and see if that's a hit.

We'd love to see some more photos of it when you purchase, those don't turn up very often.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 26, 2012 1:20 pm 

Cabinet is 80%. Needs new grill cloth. The knobs are wood, and one is missing, the chicken head one. Looks like the chassis is original and untouched. All there but very dirty.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 26, 2012 2:26 pm 

I've attempted to restore two 1152s in the past and have failed because of a shorted mica capacitor that connects between the oscillator coils and the plate of the oscillator tube causing the AM coil to burn open. One side of the oscillator coupling cap is high voltage and the other side is ground through the oscillator coils. When the cap fails, whatever oscillator coil it's switched to goes down with it, If that Grunow does still work, as the seller claims, the first thing to do is to replace that oscillator coupling cap immediately before you ever power it up.

Here's a schematic to show you the cap that you should be aware of.

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByMode ... 008334.pdf

PostPosted: Sep Thu 27, 2012 11:57 am 

Indiana Radios...thanks for the info. Good stuff to know. I'm still watching this radio hoping that as it sits there taking up floor space, the price will drop. Where are you located in Carmel? I'm in Kokomo.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 27, 2012 8:00 pm 

Mike,

Thank you for that tidbit of very important information! I have a Grunow 1151 which has the same chassis. I have yet to restore it but I will put a note inside to remind me of this capacitor when I do!

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Sep Thu 27, 2012 8:24 pm 

One more thing to consider before you buy this radio. Today's price for one 45 from Antique Electronic Supply is $96.80. You might be able to find somebody in your area who will be willing to sell them for less -- maybe $50 or so. But you should keep the going price of a 45 in mind if future repair costs are a factor.

If you do decide to buy this radio, take a tube tester and test them first. (In fact, test all the tubes while you're at it. The seller might get suspicious if you only test the 45s.) Usually a 45 will work OK even when you get a poor emissions test -- say about 1/3 on the meter.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 28, 2012 11:55 am 

That's a good idea about the tube tester. I don't own one, but have access to one I can "borrow" pretty much whenever I need it. A military TV-7B/U. It's become a real necessity. Might even help to get the price down if the owner knows that I am there with test equipment prior to a deal. Also I was not aware of the price on 45 tubes. So far I have avoided any models with thos, just by luck I guess.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 04, 2012 1:19 pm 

So would this set be considered particularly desireable? While it's not is bad condition, it is rather plain with a basic round dial. As far as I can tell there's no bells and whistles like magic eyes or anything.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 04, 2012 2:39 pm 

Personally, I would consider it desirable. I wouldn't knock it for not having an eye. This radio was made before the Magic-Eye was available.

It has an RF amp to increase sensitivity and reduce spurious responses and a decent audio section with the P-P 45s.
It should be a good performer!

It does have one interesting feature. A Beat Frequency Oscillator or BFO! It is called a "Signal Beacon" on the schematic.
It is turned on by a switch on the tone control. This will allow reception of Single Sideband signals as well as CW (Morse Code) on the Amateur Radio bands. While not a very useful feature for normal broadcast, it could make things interesting if your into listening in on HAM conversations.

I would be worried about the oscillator coils. If they have been burned up by that cap, it will not be an easy fix. :(

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Oct Tue 16, 2012 12:23 pm 

The wife reported that her and a friend went antiquing and the Grunow was still there. Marked down to $125.00. Still watching....

PostPosted: Oct Tue 23, 2012 1:17 pm 

After much thought about this radio, the hobby, and my direction as far as what I want to collect, I have decided to pass on the Grunow. If anyone in the central Indiana area is interested in it I can tell you where it's at.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 23, 2012 1:42 pm 

That a classic '30's console. Right up my alley! Grunows are one of favorite brands. Wish I had the space!
Here's a pic of a nice one off the net:

PostPosted: Nov Tue 27, 2012 1:02 pm 

Had a long weekend due to the Holiday and got bored yesterday while the wife was at work. Took some wire for an antenna and went up to the antique place that had the Grunow. It's still there. Asked the people if I could test it, they said sure. It lights up....and that's it. No hum, no buzz, no static no nothing. Of course the proprieters (sp?) think if it lights up...it's working. Still asking $125.00. I'll pass. But while I was looking at it an older gentleman asked me if I'd be interested in his old Philco "from the 30's or 40's". I said sure depending on what it was and what he was asking for it. Gave him my number. he said he'd send me a text with a photo. He also told me he just gave away a "black dial Zenith". Who knows, may pan out into something cool.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 27, 2012 2:01 pm 

I completely forgot about this thread. I was in central Indiana a couple of weeks ago. The Atwater Kent I bought on the way back could have had a traveling companion. I already have an 1162 that is in pieces. It's a very similar set to the 1152. It has slightly different grille work.

If it ain't broke, take it apart and see how it works.

PostPosted: Apr Tue 30, 2019 9:55 pm 

Groundhog74 wrote:
Had a long weekend due to the Holiday and got bored yesterday while the wife was at work. Took some wire for an antenna and went up to the antique place that had the Grunow. It's still there. Asked the people if I could test it, they said sure. It lights up....and that's it. No hum, no buzz, no static no nothing. Of course the proprieters (sp?) think if it lights up...it's working. Still asking $125.00. I'll pass. But while I was looking at it an older gentleman asked me if I'd be interested in his old Philco "from the 30's or 40's". I said sure depending on what it was and what he was asking for it. Gave him my number. he said he'd send me a text with a photo. He also told me he just gave away a "black dial Zenith". Who knows, may pan out into something cool.

Been about 7 years now, how did you make out??? :)

PostPosted: Jun Sun 30, 2019 3:49 pm 

Guy never called. passed on the Grunow