Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sun 20, 2019 12:09 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Any 78 record collectors out there?
PostPosted: Apr Sun 07, 2013 9:05 pm 

Hello,
I have some bing Crosby records that have been sitting for a while and I want to know their value:
Macnamaras band & dear old donegal Crosby and the jesters on Decca
Who threw the overalls into mrs Murphy's chowder & it's the same old shillelagh Crosby and the jesters
Did your mother come from Ireland & where the river Shannon flows Crosby and the jesters

Any help would be appreciated

Post subject: Re: Any 78 record collectors out there?
PostPosted: Apr Sun 07, 2013 10:34 pm 

Hello. I have a couple thousand 78's so I guess I can be called a hoarder/collector. Go to Ebay and type in artist name and one or two words of the "A" side song. Be sure to go to completed listings. Not giving you a book value but what someone at that time was willing to pay for it.

Popsike.com is excellent and free. Keeps history of ALL sold records on Ebay starting at $20 and on up. Goes back 7 years or so?

Remember now...'ol Bing sold millions of 78's so don't be too discouraged. Good luck.

PostPosted: Apr Sun 07, 2013 11:13 pm 

I mostly collect pre-1935 78s, but I can say that most of the Decca label Crosbys are very common. Some of them turn up so often that I would swear that three copies were pressed for every man, woman, and child in the US at the time!

PM me for my email address

PostPosted: Apr Mon 08, 2013 12:59 am 

Oh okay thanks guys I have more but what labels are rare? Or have any value I have about 100 of them and need to know what to donate and what to keep

PostPosted: Apr Tue 09, 2013 12:16 am 

The only Crosby records that acually have any dollar value are on Brunswick, and the records he made with Paul Whiteman on Victor & Columbia.

Dig that trumpet work by Bix !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uP4M-xVxFLo

Ken D.

PostPosted: Apr Mon 15, 2013 11:20 pm 

Greetings from FixitLand!

Radiosmarts1234 wrote:
Oh okay thanks guys I have more but what labels are rare? Or have any value I have about 100 of them and need to know what to donate and what to keep

Not everything on any given label is "rare," but labels of interest to collectors include Victor ("race" series V-38xxx, Depression-era 22xxx, 23xxx and 24xxx numbers on "scroll" label, for example); Columbia (again, "race" series 13xxx-D and 14xxx-D plus pop series 2xxx-D and 3xxx-D, especially blue-wax "Royal Blue" issues); Brunswick "lightning-bolt" three-digit series; Gennett; Paramount; 1920s-era OKeh; and 1950s-era Sun; to mention just a few. What is most definitely NOT rare is the vast majority of post-World War II popular records: anything on black-label Decca; black- or purple-label Capitol; the numerous indie labels (with certain exceptions for early R&B/R&R); red-label Columbia and black-label RCA Victor 20-xxxx (again, a very few exceptions for certain artists such as Arthur Crudup and other blues guys). Classical stuff is also quite common and of little to no value (with, as before, certain exceptions).

To properly assay your collection we would need a list of what you have (label/catalog #, artist and titles). Condition is also very important, as even a rarity is of only nominal value if worn out, cracked or has a chunk out of it.

The Bing Crosby items you mentioned at the top of the thread appear to have come from Decca postwar album A-495, "St. Patrick's Day." ("MacNamara's Band"/"Dear Old Donegal" is Decca 23495) Decca sold a bunch of Crosby album sets, and basements across the country are full of them. They have much more value to be played and perhaps enjoyed than any monetary value.

Take care,
--
J. E. Knox "The Victor Freak"