Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Tue 25, 2019 1:21 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Need Service Manual Sams for 1957 RCA 7-HFR-1
PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2013 4:25 pm 

Im in the process of starting a restorartion and wanted to see if anyone can email me a service manual or Sams for a 1957 RCA 7-HFR-1.
I would be greatfull. I will be posting some pics soon. if you can just send me a personal message and i will give you my email unless you are able to reply from the forum to my email.

Post subject: Re: Need Service Manual Sams for 1957 RCA 7-HFR-1
PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2013 6:06 pm 

Location: ZIP 23831 South of Richmond, VA 25 miles down the pike.
Victrolaman,

Here's some links.
Bill J.

SAMS 365-11 7-HFR-1
https://www.box.com/s/jnx60rjx76kg7meb5ewz

SAMS 340-16 7-TR-2
https://www.box.com/s/sgpah5tvn39egcquxfi2

[url]SAMS 358-10 RP-205
https://www.box.com/s/h3kuwl2tknzpzn1ot5wk[/url]

PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2013 6:17 pm 

That's a neat console, especially if it has the tape recorder. Sadly, it looks like it's 1/2 track mono. You can play 2-track in-line tapes on it but you'll only hear one channel.

MAYBE there was a full-track head available as there was for the Magnecord built TR-1 (M30 series) found in the 6HF1 where you'll hear both tracks but in mono.

GOOD LUCK!

PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2013 6:32 pm 

Great thanks guys :) Yes this came with some tapes made by RCA, they sound fine to me, they are high fidelity. I got lucky because the rubber on all the tires and wheels are still soft. The set came from the owners Aunt who bought it new in 57. Cost 595.00 for this set, a huge sum back then. Was next to the top of the line model. I think that one had the magnetic changable heads for the record changer.

I noticed on my reel though mine looks a little different from the one in the service manual the member posted for me. Mine has a green recording tuning eye to the right. It may even be a stereo unit but im not sure, there is a extra input jack on the back of the tape unit next to the one thats being used for the internal speakers, so maybe this one was for a external speaker for stereo? I have not got that far yet to test anything.
All i done so far is brought it up slow on the varic, and let it play for a bit, played it for 3 hours. There is no hum or distortion plays just fine.
Next i will pull the amp and have that recapped and serviced.
I will post some pics for you to see, you dont see this model often at all

PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2013 6:51 pm 

there was some 2 track tapes i got with it so i assume you can here both tracks only in mono, i need to look into it more, it may even be a stereo unit, as there is a separate extral unused jack on the back of the tape chassis. I cant imagine why the lady would have the 2 track tapes if she couldnt play them right. I have to look into it more.

There was one like mine on ebay not to long ago. it was just a tape deck inside its own console and it was a stereo one. looks exaclty like mine with thew green tuning eye to the right.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2013 6:53 pm 

The console model recorder may be a little different. That's to be expected.

It also may have a 2-track head. Can you post a picture of it? You would need a second speaker to get the full stereo effect from the recorder.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2013 7:26 pm 

Hi, Yes i have a second cabinet speaker i can use. i need to take some pics for you. I looked on the forum here is there is a another post about one, and in the post is a few pictures and its the same exact reel to reel as mine with the green tuning eye and controls, its the same exact one
The title of the post is in the subject line

1957 New Orthophonic SHF-2

If you type that in you will see it. His was just the reel to reel unit only, mine has the radio and Changer as well but the tape deck in his is the same as mine.