Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Sun 15, 2019 9:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Need help with Zenith X 932 turn table
PostPosted: Aug Sat 17, 2013 8:54 pm 

Hey guys, first post, somewhat green to the world of vintage record players but my appreciation for the old technology is still high. Being a musician myself, sound quality is important to me, both when I record a song and what I listen to. So, on to the important topic.

I recently inherited a Zenith X 932 record player from my grandfather. What I know of it is that it uses a ceramic cartridge, features Zenith's own micro touch technology and has a dual needle stylus tip. The cartridge looks to be in good condition (it's clean, not rusted) and as a whole, the unit looks to be in great shape for something built in 1967. That said, there is a problem with it. The turn table comes mounted inside of a console cabinet, and while it works, it seems like some stuff could be done to fix it up electronically. The knobs for the volume and balance cause crackling through the speakers when adjusted, and there is some crackling when a record is being played.

That isn't the most major thing however. The biggest issue seems to be with the needle arm. When the knob on the turn table is switched to on, the arm should raise up and settle down on the edge of the record, however it does not do so. I opened up the back of the cabinet to look at the underside of the turn table and nothing major looks broke, in fact everything looks pretty clean and in good condition under there (sans 46 years or dust!). Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any information on how to go about fixing the arm lift so that I can get the record player back in working condition.

Post subject: Re: Need help with Zenith X 932 turn table
PostPosted: Aug Sun 18, 2013 12:58 am 

Location: ZIP 23831 South of Richmond, VA 25 miles down the pike.
GuitarPlayer64,
You have a V-M changer unless it has been replaced. Sounds like operator problem. The attached link is to SAMS 797-7 for the V-M changer. The operating instructions are on second page. IF not working read the rest of the data to fix the problem.
Bill J.

https://app.box.com/s/mzksqhpu10943van60qg

PostPosted: Aug Sun 18, 2013 2:28 am 

It's common for the grease in those old record changers to become hard, making it necessary to take the entire mechanism apart for a good cleaning and relubrication. www.thevoiceofmusic.com can fix you up with service information and any parts that you might need for this changer.

The cartridges used in these are gentle on records and rarely go bad.

The static in the controls can be cured by spraying deoxit or a similar control cleaner into the opening on each control and then rotate the control through it's range a few times.

PostPosted: Aug Sun 18, 2013 9:27 pm 

Alright, I will have a look at that. I noticed that the needle doesn't return when set to manual mode, I am not sure if the needle is just too worn out and doesn't hit the return groove properly.