Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Tue 26, 2020 12:54 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Question for a friend and his motorola
PostPosted: Apr Sun 27, 2014 12:49 am 

A buddy of mine has a 1958 motorola and he asked/told me of a problem it has developed. He has lost one of the channels for stereo output. He says that if it's switched to mono, sound will come from both sides, so at least he knows the speakers work.

I would like to try and point him in the right direction, but I haven't a clue as to where he would start. So if anyone has any thoughts on this, the help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

John

Post subject: Re: Question for a friend and his motorola
PostPosted: Apr Tue 29, 2014 2:52 am 

Location: ZIP 23831 South of Richmond, VA 25 miles down the pike.
You need to provide more info. What are you (he) talking about? The tuner, or a phonograph, or a proton buster? It could just be the switch needs a good cleaning. What's the model number?
Bill J.

PostPosted: May Thu 01, 2014 1:16 am 

Geeze Bill...gimme some credit...the Proton Buster was the first thing I had him check!

He says he gets stereo in all functions except the record player and then only the left side works. If he switches it to mono, then both sides work. It is a Motorola model SK13MC.

Thanks again,

John

PostPosted: May Thu 01, 2014 2:24 am 

Sounds like you have a defective cartridge, needle not seated properly or a wiring problem going to the cartridge.

PostPosted: May Thu 01, 2014 3:17 pm 

I had this same issue with a Motorola three channel portable last year, it uses a sonotone 8t stereo cartridge, it would play fine in stere then one side went out, swithced to mono came back on, i finally descovered the tine solder point under then changer where the tone arm wires go one joint was loose, retouched it with the solder iron issue was gone away. but to be safe i replaced the cartridge with a nos 8t and cleaned all the switches with Deoxit. havnt had the issue since. sometimes the rubber bridge on the cartridge gets hard and dry and you look a channel to. some people always make the mistake of rubbing the tip of their finger on the needle to see if its working, worst thing you could ever do! you can break the tiny ceramic rods in the cartridge or cause other damage and then you can break it eventually doing that.

PostPosted: May Fri 02, 2014 1:57 am 

Thanks everyone! I will pass these suggestions along to him, see if he can't get 'er up and running again!

John

PostPosted: May Fri 02, 2014 2:16 am 

Location: ZIP 23831 South of Richmond, VA 25 miles down the pike.
John,

Here's a link to SAMS 453-9 for MOTOROLA SK13B M MC SK14B CW M W CH HS-696 HS-709.

https://app.box.com/s/otst9nnq3bdkwkdf2paf

And just in case he does not have the changer data and as SAMS indicates it is V-M 1200A here's a link to it.

https://app.box.com/s/smmwo2nzi6bxocqjm8t9

Ditto prior info provided. I really like his electronics, don't really go for sets with legs if it might be like SAMS picture. But, simple, no radio who cares, and separate preamp with all them 6BQ5's. He can place set somewhere in house where there's a cool spot, warm it up.
Bill J.

PostPosted: May Fri 02, 2014 11:21 pm 

Bill...That's awesome! Thanks! He really likes it and I've heard CD's played through it, sounds really good. He's also been on an LP collecting tear, so will be good to get him up and running. Thanks again!

John