Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Sat 21, 2019 2:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Cloth covered power cable
PostPosted: Feb Thu 19, 2004 10:16 pm 

Has anyone tried the cloth covered power cable that Radio Daze stocks? How flexible is it? Does it resemble the old cable?<P>------------------<BR>Carl T

PostPosted: Feb Thu 19, 2004 10:30 pm 

I think this is the same stuff that AES sells (S-W102). It seems to have a lot of the same characteristics as regular zip cord as it is more oval then round so it flexes better on one axis, if that makes sense. AES sells another "larger dimension" (S-W103)cloth covered power cord that they say is closer to original stock but at $3/foot I'll never know how close it really is..<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Feb Thu 19, 2004 11:29 pm 
Inactive

Hi,<BR> I find the smaller oval cloth covered cord more suitable for rewiring antique lamps. Bigger is better if you just do a few radios a year.<BR> Ken<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Feb Thu 19, 2004 11:42 pm 

I generally put 6 feet of cord on a radio--at $3 per foot that is $18--OUCH.<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Feb Fri 20, 2004 2:45 am 

The S-W102 apprears to be the same as the cord Radio Daze stocks, #18-2c at about the same price. The S-W103 doesn't specify conductor size, similar to the S-W102, just says that it is larger in physcial dimension<BR>to more accurately represent the old cord.<P>------------------<BR>Carl T

PostPosted: Feb Sun 22, 2004 3:54 am 

Hi Carl,<BR>Check Your Local ACE Hdwe. Outlet.Find the person who does the ordering and have them look up cloth covered cord in their catalog.<BR>Find out the cost per spool,not too bad if you can share the cost with coleagues. Can be colored brown-its gold looking.<P>Wayne<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Feb Sun 22, 2004 9:56 am 

I want to keep my Coronado 770 looking as close as possible to it's original appearence. how can I find what type of cord was used originaly? It currently has a dried cracked rubber/plastic brown cord but may or may not be original since the radio I'm told is from 1937. I don't know of any books or websites that have pictures of my radio but I'm sure they exist. I have seen cloth cord on old stuff and think it looks great. If anyone knows of cloth cord sold for less, I'm sure others here are interested too. What do we do for a nice looking plug end? don't want to spend all that money on cord only to put cheesy plastic, made in some foreign country, polarized plug end on it. Any thoughts?<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Feb Sun 22, 2004 6:15 pm 

Hi Wayne<BR>What would you use to color the cord brown?<P>------------------<BR>Carl T

PostPosted: Feb Sun 22, 2004 6:34 pm 

If near a large city, often shops that specialize in lamp repair carry cloth covered wire in several colors in stock.<P>RE: determining what kind of cord a particular radio originally had is sometimes tough to do. In the late 1930's both rubber and cloth power cords were available and most manufacturers, particularly the independents who built sets like the Coronado, used whatever they could get a good deal on that week. So the same radio is often seen with both cloth and rubber power cords and both could have been original. This has been discussed before and there is no definite cutoff date after which only rubber cord was used. Even some post-WW2 sets are seen with original cloth power cords, although by that time almost all of the sets came with rubber power cords.<P>The other problem of getting authentic looking plug ends is currently getting worse. Most everything you will find is plastic and does not look right on an old radio. There are a couple of suppliers selling new bakelite plugs but there are apparently only one or two styles available, and even those do not exactly duplicate the plugs that were used long ago.<BR>The best source for bakelite plugs is garage sales and flea markets in your local area. Sometimes people will have a box of old electrical parts at a garage sale and nice 50 year old plugs can be bought for 25 cents each. And sometimes you can even find an old damaged table lamp or broken clock for $1 that has a very good cloth cord and original plug on it.<P>------------------<BR>Dennis

PostPosted: Feb Mon 23, 2004 12:30 am 

Hi Carl,<BR>I've used brown felt tip markers,shoe dye to name a couple. Havent tried clothes dye yet but am planning to.<P>Wayne<P>------------------<BR>