Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Tue 16, 2019 1:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Cleaning
PostPosted: Feb Fri 20, 2004 7:23 am 

I would like information concerning the cleaning of the interior of an Crosley 516 that I own. This radio is in good condition, and it works; but needs to have many years of crud removed from it.<P>Background: someone gave it to me because of a debt owed and I know nothing about the restoration of old radios. It has sat in my basement for about 20 years but now I wish to put it on display in my home.<P>The unit is in good condition, but I will refinish the wood. The electric cord is about 1 foot long (original), with replacement wire.<P>QUESTION: can I use some type of spray electronic cleaner and compressed air to clean the guts of the radio (when removed) without harming it's ability to play? Can I do this with the tubes, etc., still installed in the base? I am not interested in making it look factory fresh, but just want to clean it.<P>It would be a shame to "trash" the unit just for the astetics I desire. There must be some law against that.<P>Any advise directed to this "know nothing" would be appreciated.<P>Joe Roulias<BR>Reading, PA<BR> <A HREF="mailto:harvey1949@comcast.net">harvey1949@comcast.net</A> <P><BR><P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Feb Fri 20, 2004 1:44 pm 

If we were talking about any sort of liquid cleaner,opinions vary.As regards *dry*removal of surface dust and dirt,paint brushes,one inch and smaller are what I use.<BR>I also have a small air compressor that I use sometimes.<BR>It is easy to break wires and do other kinds of damage as well unless you proceed slowly and cautiously.<BR>**Underneath**the chassis you can do lots of harm by breaking wires and shifting components so that they touch when they should not do so,unless you are **very**careful.<BR>Tubes can be removed to allow better access,but make sure you draw a diagram first showing where each one belongs according to the tube number on the glass envelope(usually) or base(sometimes) and don't confuse tube type numbers with various other markings tubes often have on them.<BR>Tubes often have loose(unglued)envelopes at the point where the envelope joins the base so too much force exerted on the envelope could rip it from its base.Remove tubes by grabbing the base,whenever possible,not the glass.Some gentle back and forth rocking while pulling upward may be called for.Forget brute force!!<BR>Tubes can be gently wiped with a soft cloth and sometimes cleaned with mild soap and water,but don't accidently remove the tube type numbers by being too aggressive or using to much soapy water.<BR>Malcolm<P><BR>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Feb Fri 20, 2004 6:09 pm 

I use an old hair dryer and soft makeup brushes, both contributed by wifey, to remove the loose dust. Pipe cleaners do a good job of cleaning the crud from tuning condensors plates.<BR>Bill<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Feb Fri 20, 2004 8:43 pm 

"The unit is in good condition, but I will refinish the wood."<P>Why would you refinish an antique that is already in good condition? IF it is really that nice, clean it with mineral spirits and give it a coat of wax. IF you are not an experienced refinisher it will never look right when you are done. Doing so will put a very heavy hit on the value of the set. <P>Electronics...........?? No amount of spray cleaner is going to make it play properly or even be safe to use. The capaciters need to be replaced. Especially the electrolytics. If you don't do this you will destroy the transformer by playing it. You don't need a cleaning so much as an electronic restoration. This is not out of the reach of the amatuer. You will need to learn about electronics and old radios. You will need some test equipment and tools. If you intend to get into the hobby I would go for it and start learning. If you just want to fix up this one radio I would send it to an expert. Good luck. <BR><P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Feb Fri 20, 2004 9:25 pm 
Inactive

Hi,<BR> If I can't get the dirt/crude off with a brush and brake cleaner/electronic spray, I brush on oven cleaner sparingly and that usually gets to the bare metal. Pull all tubes first.<BR> Ken<BR> <P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Feb Sat 21, 2004 1:00 am 

Ken,<P>How long do you leave the oven cleaner on? Is this only for external sheetmetal or do you spray the component side also? Water rinse the whole chassis?<P>As for dust cleaning I like a cheap 1" long-bristle paint brush with my DustBuster or a vacuum hose in the other hand. <P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Feb Sat 21, 2004 5:08 am 
Inactive

Hi,<BR> I only leave the oven cleaner on for maybe ten minutes. Wipe off with rag. If it needs a second coat do the same way. Wipe off as much as possible and spray well with fast drying spray I buy at NAPA. Think its called lectec or something like that in a red spray can, $4.00. No I only do surface chassis metal with oven cleaner. I spray the underside after with the NAPA cleaner which is super fast drying. They came out with this cleaner because it doesn't harm plastic and was used for cleaning computers and such. One guy grabbed the wrong can which was the brake cleaner spray and came back p---ed because it got into the plastic on his computer. This is my quick solution to greasy/nicotine coated chassis's. I'm sure there are other members that have their own methods also.<BR> Ken<BR> <P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Feb Sat 21, 2004 8:25 pm 

I use Westleys Blech Wite tire cleaner . Apply to a rag and wipe the chassis it works good .<P><P>------------------<BR>