Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sun 05, 2021 4:07 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Johnson Ranger SSB mods???
PostPosted: May Wed 18, 2016 8:50 pm 

Picked up a nice Ranger over the weekend and it has a modification
so it can be used with an SSB adaptor. I know very little about the Ranger
or any of the common mods that were made back in the day.

Can anyone shed any light on these types of mods or point me
to articles about them?

Thanks!
Steve

Post subject: Re: Johnson Ranger SSB mods???
PostPosted: May Wed 18, 2016 9:05 pm 

Steve,

That wasn't a common modification. I think one of the 1960s era SSB handbooks had some information on converting a number of different CW/AM transmitters to SSB and I will take a look through them later if nobody comes up with anything.

In general the final would have to be re-biased for linear operation and provision would have to be made for driving its grids directly or also re-biasing the 6CL6 multiplier to linear operation and operating it straight through for drive from a SSB exciter. In any case you would need an external SSB generator (like the Heathkit SB-10 or Johnson SSB adapter) or a low power SSB exciter (like a Central Electronics CE-10) to drive the Ranger. Using its VFO to provide frequency control would result in a very marginal stability and that is putting it kindly.

Johnson made provisions for using SSB with the Valiant, Valiant II, and 500 and the company's SSB adapter was designed specifically for the Valiant. The SB-10 was designed for the TX-1 and would work with the DX-100 and DX-100B with a modification kit for the transmitter. The Valiant II had some changes to improve VFO stability for SSB but it would still be very drifty even by late 1960s tube type single range VFO with crystal mixer standards and horrible by today's standards.

Unless you specifically want to set up a demonstration station using SSB with the Ranger I would just undo the modification and turn it back into a normal AM/CW rig. It really isn't a practical setup for SSB.

Steve, On edit: Are you sure this was for a SSB adapter and not for use with the Johnson 6N2 transmitter? The 6N2 was an external AM/CW transmitter for 6 and 2 meters that used the Ranger power supplies and modulator for power. This was a fairly common modification and is documented by Johnson in the 6N2 meter manual. Although it was most commonly used with the Valiant Johnson provided instructions for use with some of their other transmitters.

Rodger WQ9E

Post subject: Re: Johnson Ranger SSB mods???
PostPosted: May Thu 19, 2016 2:26 am 

Thanks Roger. My guess is the mods were made to use an external 'signal slicer'
or similar SSB generator. There is a pot that is labelled "SSB BIAS" and a switch
on the rear panel to enable it.

The mods were well done and could be somewhat useful if/when I find a
Johnson SSB adaptor to go with it. This Ranger will be paired up with the
Thunderbolt I bought recently. I have another Ranger that has no mods.

Steve