Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Mon 18, 2019 4:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Wow what beautiful AM transmitter handiwork
PostPosted: Mar Sat 04, 2017 1:22 am 

I have to give credit when I see such beautiful work.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AM-BROADCASTER- ... 1eb2f58009

Post subject: Re: Wow what beautiful AM transmitter handiwork
PostPosted: Mar Sun 05, 2017 7:27 pm 

Yes, nicely done, but my eyes go to the extra washers/spacers on the transformer. :oops:

PostPosted: Mar Sun 05, 2017 8:24 pm 

Mike Toon wrote:
Yes, nicely done, but my eyes go to the extra washers/spacers on the transformer. :oops:

LOL... Listing says 40 sold, by this time you'd think he'd have it right :?:

Not that there is anything wrong with project boxes, they just ain't my style... After looking at the prototype 12AV6/12CS6 xmitter I built for a few weeks, I gave it away...

Tom

PostPosted: Mar Sun 05, 2017 10:58 pm 

I was in reference to the circuit wiring.
This guy is an artist.
Attachment:
am transmitter.jpg
am transmitter.jpg [ 110.27 KiB | Viewed 6316 times ]

PostPosted: Mar Mon 06, 2017 12:03 am 

Like I said, you build 40 of the same thing, it should be neat...

PostPosted: Mar Mon 06, 2017 3:08 am 

Mike Toon wrote:

That is an extra nut, green in color......to connect the unit to earth ground. Helps in establishing a good xmit signal. An old fellow in our church bought one for his radios - all tabletop Emersons with the Ingraham cabinet maker name. His kin made the cabinets.

He jokes he's the only living "silent key" - he gave up Ham Radio a dozen years ago.....for travel, all funded by the sale of his "shack."

PostPosted: Mar Mon 06, 2017 3:25 am 

Makes sense. A ground symbol would make it prettier.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 06, 2017 5:20 am 

So, how can he sell assembled transmitters? FCC rules have previously been discussed on ARF that prohibit selling a functional, assembled unit which has not been type approved by the FCC. That process costs tens of thousands of dollars. No mention is made of this unit meeting any such legal requirements so we can only assume it does not.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 06, 2017 6:18 am 

Mr. Detrola wrote:
So, how can he sell assembled transmitters? FCC rules have previously been discussed on ARF that prohibit selling a functional, assembled unit which has not been type approved by the FCC. That process costs tens of thousands of dollars. No mention is made of this unit meeting any such legal requirements so we can only assume it does not.

because the FCC has no clue about it ...and it's such small potatoes... who really cares?

PostPosted: Mar Mon 06, 2017 6:33 am 

Mr. Detrola wrote:

Wasn't there a thread about someone else who got caught selling assembled units and had to pay an enormous fine, awhile back?
Regardless though, I believe we have previously discussed the situation wherein the FCC will normally only investigate a complaint -about non-legal transmission- made by a commercial radio station.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 06, 2017 11:31 am 

Ramsey Electronics of kit fame sold a completed AM Transmitter - in assembled and kit form. I bought the kit, along with their BA1404-based FM Stereo Transmitter back in 1995. I still have the FM transmitter - the AM one would drift after 20 minutes or so. All NP0 caps, and still drifted. Panaxis also sold assembled transmitters, both OTA (for export) and carrier-current.
I'm ignorant to the FCC rules - we used a Panaxis FM transmitter kit to broadcast our church service from the sanctuary to the ladies in the nursery 300 feet away, probably breaking a few FCC rules every Sunday. :?

PostPosted: Mar Mon 06, 2017 9:58 pm 

fifties wrote:
Wasn't there a thread about someone else who got caught selling assembled units and had to pay an enormous fine, awhile back?
Regardless though, I believe we have previously discussed the situation wherein the FCC will normally only investigate a complaint -about non-legal transmission- made by a commercial radio station.

As I recall, someone reported that guy to the FCC, and so they investigated. It could also have been a manufacturer of a certified product that reported him.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 06, 2017 11:20 pm 

BobWeaver wrote:
fifties wrote:

As I recall, someone reported that guy to the FCC, and so they investigated. It could also have been a manufacturer of a certified product that reported him.

Seems there was some discussion a while back about whether a tube unit without the tubes plugged in was an "assembled unit." Now I'm curious, would this seller be in the clear if they didn't provide the tubes and left it up the buyer to get them elsewhere?

PostPosted: Mar Tue 07, 2017 1:16 am 

Ramsey Electronics has been raided by the feds:

Ramsey Electronics of Victor, New York was raided on November 10, 1999 by the United State Customs Service. They had a search warrant stating that they we manufacturing and distributing electronic and surreptutitous intercept devices which are illegal according to Title 18 USC, Section 2512.

http://www.mediageek.net/2006/01/micro- ... ed-by-fcc/

No law against selling kits, but assembling SStran kits for others has gotten one our members a $10,000 fine....

http://www.part15.us/forum/part15-forum ... -assembler

If RangeMaster filed a complaint, that eBay seller might get a rude surprise.

And not installing a tube isn't going to make fly as a kit.

Pete

PostPosted: Mar Tue 07, 2017 10:47 pm 

The guy selling these transmitters is a total AS* HOLE I asked him a question about his transmitter one time and the guy came unglued called me names I won't repeat here maybe he was drunk or high on something? He accused me of wanting to steal his design, and I guess under sell him not sure what his concern was so no way would I give this guy any of my money. Buyer beware and good luck with support if you have problems with your purchase.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 08, 2017 2:05 am 

Yeti575 wrote:
The guy selling these transmitters is a total AS* HOLE I asked him a question about his transmitter one time and the guy came unglued called me names I won't repeat here maybe he was drunk or high on something? He accused me of wanting to steal his design, and I guess under sell him not sure what his concern was so no way would I give this guy any of my money. Buyer beware and good luck with support if you have problems with your purchase.

Really? If he was that concerned over someone stealing his design, then why did he put a picture of the underside of his transmitter in his listing? Given enough time I could easily trace it and draw out a schematic.

Caretaker of Portable Tube Radios

PostPosted: Mar Wed 08, 2017 2:58 am 

Hcompton79 wrote:
Really? If he was that concerned over someone stealing his design, then why did he put a picture of the underside of his transmitter in his listing? Given enough time I could easily trace it and draw out a schematic.

He he :lol:

I've seen enough that I'm fairly convinced it's using a 12CS6 mixer/osc modulated by a 12AU6.. Output of 12CS6 is amplified by the 50C5 power output... Oh yeah, it uses a rectifier dropper to lower voltage for the 75v series string... Probably has a resistor that's dropping the additional 12v...

We were building 12AV6/12CS6 Tx here on ARF six or seven years ago... Setup properly a extra power output isn't necessary...

Tom

PostPosted: Mar Wed 08, 2017 3:42 am 

Hcompton79 wrote:
Yeti575 wrote:

At the time there was no picture on his Ebay account from what I can remember. Are you the seller?

PostPosted: Mar Wed 08, 2017 4:20 am 

35Z5 wrote:

We were building 12AV6/12CS6 Tx here on ARF six or seven years ago...

Would you have a link to that thread, and did it contain a schematic?

PostPosted: Mar Wed 08, 2017 4:53 am 

35Z5 wrote:
Hcompton79 wrote:

He he :lol:

I've seen enough that I'm fairly convinced it's using a 12CS6 mixer/osc modulated by a 12AU6.. Output of 12CS6 is amplified by the 50C5 power output... Oh yeah, it uses a rectifier dropper to lower voltage for the 75v series string... Probably has a resistor that's dropping the additional 12v...

We were building 12AV6/12CS6 Tx here on ARF six or seven years ago... Setup properly a extra power output isn't necessary...

Tom

Likewise. I first saw that transmitter at least a year ago, and I traced the circuit from the photo far enough to see that there was nothing special about it. He probably needs the extra power output because there's nothing in the circuit for tuning the antenna.