Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Wed 11, 2019 10:15 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Restoring Plastic Finish
PostPosted: Jul Wed 18, 2018 9:43 pm 

I have a radio, Motorola 79XM22. I have been working on restoring it's finish.
I first dusted and then cleaned the cabinet then I used combinations of Brasso, Novus 2, Novus 1 and ArmorAll outlast trim and plastic restorer (used for automobiles).

I also used blue non scratch pads. ( Sold for cleaning of kitchen pots and pans etc.)
The shine of the bottom, and right side were pretty good when I started, the top and left side was hazy (white haze.)
I have managed to improve the sides, bottom, of the cabinet quite a bit with a layer of slight white haze on the top?

Is there any way to remove that slight haze? Should I purchase some very fine sand paper starting with 600 and going higher up to 1000 and maybe using Brasso in-between? Would a final step of say using Min wax paste for wood or other competing brands also be a good step? Any help on this would be highly appreciated.

Thank you, Jim.

Post subject: Re: Restoring Plastic Finish
PostPosted: Aug Tue 07, 2018 6:38 pm 

Try polishing your plastic cabinets (polystyrene) with Novus 2 polish. If it's painted bakelite, then use a good car wax such as Mother's or Meguiar's.