Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Tue 20, 2019 10:40 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Zenith Ebony Finish
PostPosted: Aug Wed 15, 2018 11:14 pm 

I have a nice Zenith 7S28 Ebony that could use a paint job. I have someone who will spray it professionally but want to make sure I get the correct finish.

Were the Ebony's originally, flat, satin, gloss, high gloss or what? Mine looks like it was gloss.

Thanks,
Joe Miller

Post subject: Re: Zenith Ebony Finish
PostPosted: Aug Thu 16, 2018 7:10 am 

I would say my 7S260Y has a gloss finish.

PostPosted: Aug Thu 16, 2018 10:34 pm 

It's hard to tell, as you'd have to go back to the 1930's to know what they looked like new. I would also guess gloss, judging from the surviving ebony Zeniths that I've seen. It's not an easy finish to duplicate, as any flaw is glaringly obvious.

Bob

PostPosted: Aug Fri 17, 2018 1:17 am 

After yo strip the old paint off you want to use a good automotive primer, you block sand the primer and paint lacquer black with a least 8 coats of clear. Then you want to wet sand and buff about 2 weeks later after the clear has dried good. High gloss is what was on there from factory. Its a time consuming process but well worth it when your done. You mite what to have a professional do it if you never done that type of refinishing before. I can do the job if you can send it to Dallas. Send me a PM if interested. If you need references ask any body here on the forum.

PostPosted: Aug Fri 17, 2018 9:24 am 

See most are calling the black finish paint but was it paint? However, if I'm reading it right Fred is indicating its best with a toner and lacquer finish.

Last part black I did I used Mohawk Black Toner finished with Mohawk 70% Gloss Lacquer. Came out well. Lots of prep and careful rubbing out.
Attachment:
Cabinet re-finished WEB.jpg
Cabinet re-finished WEB.jpg [ 93.71 KiB | Viewed 1093 times ]

Of course you cant tell quality from a tiny pic but it is good: wouldn't pass at Steinway :) but is very pleasing to me.

Gary

PostPosted: Aug Mon 20, 2018 1:41 am 

Yes black Lacquer base coat then several coats of clear over the black. Zenith may have used a straight black lacquer then polished it out. When I refinish a radio in high gloss I do a piano finish. unless the radio came satin or customer wants a satin finish. Here is picture of a black laquer high gloss I did a few years ago for Joe the zenithman.

Attachments:
joes radios 1289.jpg
joes radios 1289.jpg [ 121.6 KiB | Viewed 1008 times ]
joes radios 1290.jpg
joes radios 1290.jpg [ 117.38 KiB | Viewed 1008 times ]
joes radios 1287.jpg
joes radios 1287.jpg [ 136.07 KiB | Viewed 1008 times ]

PostPosted: Aug Mon 20, 2018 2:54 am 

Very Nice!

PostPosted: Aug Mon 20, 2018 6:05 am 

That's quite the Murderer's Row of cabinets. :shock:

Bob

PostPosted: Aug Mon 20, 2018 9:00 am 

Remember the big black one, how could I forget it !! Stunning and don't let the grandkids anywhere near it :roll:

I was wondering what the outcome would be if you just took the cabinet to an Auto shop and let them treat it as a car body? Primer, then top coat (guess water based now days) and then rub out. Would there be a big difference to the toner / lacquer way and would it last? I would thinks so as cars are out in 100 degree heat to freezing cold.

Gary

PostPosted: Aug Mon 20, 2018 12:29 pm 

Radio Fixer wrote:
Remember the big black one, how could I forget it !! Stunning and don't let the grandkids anywhere near it :roll:

I was wondering what the outcome would be if you just took the cabinet to an Auto shop and let them treat it as a car body? Primer, then top coat (guess water based now days) and then rub out. Would there be a big difference to the toner / lacquer way and would it last? I would thinks so as cars are out in 100 degree heat to freezing cold.

Gary

Yes as long as it has been primed and sealed in solvent type products, the base coat black color can be water based because the primer and sealer will protect the wood from water based paint. You don't want water based paint products on raw wood, doesn't work.