Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Mon 22, 2019 11:01 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: GE wildcat
PostPosted: Oct Mon 29, 2018 10:18 pm 

Hi folks,

I got here by google searching ge wildcat repair. I've been a tinkerer since I was 5yrs old. I love to bring mechanical things back to life (clocks,toys etc). I recently picked up an old Westinghouse cabinet record changer with a tube amp. Didn't work all that great. After some searching I came across Gary storks VM page. I took the changer apart and cleaned, reassembled and lubed it. It now works great! At the flea market I picked up 2 GE wildcats. One working ( boxed over arm) and one not(fork overarm). The changer mechanisms are completety different. Took apart the non working one cleaned and lubed it. Everything is working.. except the tone arm drops in the wrong spot.. to much to adjust with the screw.. not much info on these. I believe it's a V935g, any ideas?

Thanks

Mike

Last edited by Mikemackd on Nov Fri 02, 2018 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: GE wildcat
PostPosted: Oct Tue 30, 2018 1:08 am 

Unlike a VM the turntable on a lot of these has a control to set the record size which sets the correct set-down position. Make sure it's set correctly.

-David

PostPosted: Oct Tue 30, 2018 1:19 am 

I recently took my black Wildcat, that I bought new when I was a kid, out of storage after decades and was surprised it still works!

Mine has the size selector. Could it be that you have a selection lever link that you reattached incorrectly, assuming you disassembled that part when you opened it up?

PostPosted: Oct Tue 30, 2018 5:03 am 

Thanks for the replies. The selector is in the correct spot. Ill double check the linkage. I took a bunch of pics. Has to be something simple.

PostPosted: Jan Sat 12, 2019 1:01 am 

FYI,

There spring that holds the tone arm against the set down position screw was missing.. managed to find one that worked and was able to adjust it correctly