Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Wed 21, 2019 1:29 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Uncommon 7" Raytheon Belmont TV
PostPosted: Nov Tue 27, 2018 1:33 am 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-VINTAG ... :rk:1:pf:0
This set is a very decent example of one of the more uncommon 7" early post-war TV's. It shouldn't take much to refresh it. I nabbed one of these a while back and have more into it than that with a detailed chassis restoration. It's a finicky set with it's odd plunger style tuner. The large tuning knob was required to get the leverage needed to make it work. Some of these are factory built, others are kits. I haven't yet found out how to easily tell the difference.

Post subject: Re: Uncommon 7" Raytheon Belmont TV
PostPosted: Nov Tue 27, 2018 6:26 am 

Ouch, I have one but I paid a fourth of that for it, didn't work at the time though.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 27, 2018 6:38 am 

I got mine for free, it took three dumpster dives to recover all the parts, including the picture tube. I had to make the dual section ballast.

Chas

PostPosted: Nov Tue 27, 2018 1:53 pm 

Eric H wrote:
Ouch, I have one but I paid a fourth of that for it, didn't work at the time though.

Being in good working condition is what you're paying for with this one. A complete TV chassis resto from a set of this period with cost at least $200-$300. Mine was so nice that I went for it and paid high retail. Although the chassis was working I actually paid a friend to go over and tweak the entire chassis anyway. Sometimes certain sets are "labors of love"! :D It's a really sharp little early post-war TV.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 27, 2018 3:38 pm 

decojoe67 wrote:
Eric H wrote:

Being in good working condition is what you're paying for with this one. A complete TV chassis resto from a set of this period with cost at least $200-$300. Mine was so nice that I went for it and paid high retail. Although the chassis was working I actually paid a friend to go over and tweak the entire chassis anyway. Sometimes certain sets are "labors of love"! :D It's a really sharp little early post-war TV.

I agree, not a bad price for what your getting. I'd take this before paying thousands for a radio mass produced and used for prop on a TV show.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 27, 2018 6:09 pm 

I just can't imagine the CRT surviving shipping, price looks OK for a restored set.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 27, 2018 7:17 pm 

Lou deGonzague wrote:
I just can't imagine the CRT surviving shipping, price looks OK for a restored set.

It can be done easily if it's packed right. The problem is knowing if the seller understands how. Also, surviving shipping and still working well is very dicey. I have no regrets paying more yet being able to pick it up locally. A lot less stress!

PostPosted: Nov Wed 28, 2018 3:57 am 

Mine was packed & shipped by a UPS Store, (which added another $100 to the price) it arrived in a box barely larger than the set, it got slammed so hard it cracked the board in the bottom of the cabinet and left a raised mark on the channel selector where the shaft tried to push through. The CRT survived but it knocked the gun slightly out of alignment so the picture can't be centered exactly.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 28, 2018 11:16 am 

Eric H wrote:
Mine was packed & shipped by a UPS Store, (which added another $100 to the price) it arrived in a box barely larger than the set, it got slammed so hard it cracked the board in the bottom of the cabinet and left a raised mark on the channel selector where the shaft tried to push through. The CRT survived but it knocked the gun slightly out of alignment so the picture can't be centered exactly.

Sorry to hear that. I heard getting it packed by UPS does not necessary mean it's packed ideally. If the box really gets slammed, the set is going to have some kind of damage. I had a bakelite Motorola sent to me with no problems a while back, but that's the chance you take. It's likely the only TV I will have shipped to me. It's silly, but I lose sleep in those situations! :roll: :D

PostPosted: Nov Wed 28, 2018 2:27 pm 

I can attest that the 7JP4 is very, very close to the chassis. That the CRT face strap liner offers no cushioning. During my refurbish process I re-lined the strap with thick felt as well as the sensitive chassis area. I would highly recommend anyone shipping this model TV, remove all tubes especially the ballast as it is a bit heavy, pack all tubes separately and ship them in their own carton. The speaker is on a 6" or so, narrow metal bracket, acceleration from an abrupt drop on the back could bend the bracket. The speaker is unobtainable, I had to have mine re-coned... Oh, number the tubes as to location, once the set is aligned, swapping identical tubes can cause problems.

Do expect to replace the OEM high voltage CRT coupling caps. I restored my set 30ya. at the time, these caps were NLA, I used C-D surplus transmitting micas, huge, but worked just fine...

This is the same set that I first discovered and repaired the corroded rivet problem. The video amp wasn't, after soldering all rivets that had chassis connections, problem solved.

I'll post an image of a CRT test using the Belmont if anyone would like to see it...

To get optimum high voltage one has to hand select 50L6's for the best 'nads, the HV oscillator runs at 100khz., develops only micro amps, any leakage anywhere in the system causes both a dim and blooming pix...

IMHO a nice little early set, in a way, I am sad I no longer have it but my interest has always been radio. The New York City area, Burbs and L.I. should have a few of these in dusty attics. A call to Harry Poster?

Chas

PostPosted: Dec Sun 16, 2018 8:52 am 

So.... THATS what those knobs I have fit ! Always wondered ....
Mark Oppat

PostPosted: Dec Sun 16, 2018 12:57 pm 

Looks like that set sold too. I guess that one is still holding it's value.
There was 2 different knob sets found on those sets. Those with gold center, and a plainer type without gold centers, including on the large channel selector. Mine has those and they're like a soy-based plastic that wants to shrink down onto the shafts.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 16, 2018 3:37 pm 

UPS = Un-Protected Shipping or Universal Pulverized Shipping
DHL = Damaged Handling Logistics

UPS is the WORST, use USPS and support America. I wouldn't ship a box of Kleenex with UPS, they would certainly break it

PostPosted: Dec Sun 16, 2018 5:19 pm 

glue_ru wrote:

UPS is the WORST, use USPS and support America. I wouldn't ship a box of Kleenex with UPS, they would certainly break it

I must add that I've had great results with getting smaller sets sent to me by USPS lately . I request "box-in-box" packing and I think that is key. The boxes never even have a dent or crushed area.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 16, 2018 6:07 pm 

glue_ru wrote:

I'm not sure I follow. Support America with using USPS?

UPS as well as FedEx are the 8th and 9th largest employers in the US and are US companies. Yes they are international, but originate here :D

Not saying they are any better at package handling though :lol:

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Dec Sun 16, 2018 7:25 pm 

UPS= United Parcel Smashers.

I try to avoid using them but sometimes sellers refuse to use any other shipper. It's all in how the set is packed though. Problem is very few people understand what needs to be done to insure survival, which often involved disassembly and custom made cartons and inserts. I'd rather spend half a day driving somewhere and back to pick up an item in person.

Pretty sure there's an even rarer 10" electrostatic version of the same basic chassis.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 16, 2018 7:45 pm 

This may not be the place to say this but ....Anyone want a 1951 era 21" Dumont TV (cabinet has doors) in Detroit for FREE? Its a model RA112-A-3 43" high, 33" wide 24" deep. Mahogany cabinet. doors fold back. I have pix on my phone but cant get them off yet. Its "all there" and will need cleaning and touch up on cabinet but not a full refinish as I see it. Send a pm to me. I will post it in the Classifieds soon . Just saw it last week.
Mark Oppat