Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Tue 16, 2019 1:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Need info about the cabinet feet on an Atwater Kent 84
PostPosted: Nov Thu 29, 2018 6:25 am 

Hello "
I'm working on an Atwater Kent model 84 radio and i need some information about the cabinet feet. The radio came to me without any chassis bolts. The holes for the bolts are just straight through holes with no countersink, so the bolt heads would be on the table without some kind of foot installed. Can anyone tell me about the feet on this AK model 84. I can see the mark that was left around each of the 4 holes on the underside of the cabinet, from either washers or feet. I'm assuming that the chassis bolts hold some kind of rubber foot in place. But i can't find any information on this so I'm coming to you guys for help again.
Thanks
Terry D

Post subject: Re: Need info about the cabinet feet on an Atwater Kent 84
PostPosted: Nov Thu 29, 2018 4:17 pm 

Hi Terry, I pulled a couple out of my AK 84. Please see pics. The screw heads have a metal surround with a felt like material for the "foot".

Mark

Attachments:
AK 84 Chassis Bolts 1.JPG
AK 84 Chassis Bolts 1.JPG [ 86.1 KiB | Viewed 340 times ]
AK 84 Chassis Bolts 2.JPG
AK 84 Chassis Bolts 2.JPG [ 85.81 KiB | Viewed 340 times ]

PostPosted: Nov Thu 29, 2018 7:49 pm 

Wow thanks Mark.
now i can try to find something similar. i appreciate the pics and info.
thanks again so much

Terry D

PostPosted: Nov Thu 29, 2018 8:13 pm 

Ok, again i need help. i had this AK 84 working great. i get up this morning , turn it on , and all i hear is a loud scream from the speaker.
the volume control does not affect the sound from the speaker. when i turn it on, the sound starts off as a high pitch and then drops quickly to about 300 hz and stays there. the radio has been recapped and all bad resistors changed out. I'm thinking, and hoping, that since this radio was just finished being restored this week, and was working so well for a few days now, and the problem came on so suddenly that it is a tube failure. other than that i'm lost as to what to do next.
can anyone help me get started with this troubleshoot ?
Terry D

Post subject: Re: Loud squeal from speaker on an Atwater Kent 84
PostPosted: Nov Thu 29, 2018 10:44 pm 

Hello everyone , and thank you all for all of the help in the past.
I have a problem with an AK 84 early model that i could use some help with. This radio has been recapped and all resistors checked. It was working well when i finished up the alignment a few days ago. This morning I turned it on and all I hear from the speaker is a loud squealing sound. The sound starts off with a thump in the speaker and then immediately starts screaming a high pitch sound that soon drops to about a 1000 hz, that stays there at about 3/4 volume..
The volume control does affect the sound somewhat. If I turn the volume all the way down, i can just hear the squeal. If i turn it up just the slightest amount the tone jumps out, loud, and stays the same as i continue to turn to max volume.
I was thinking that it might be a tube the suddenly died, because it was doing so well for the last few days.
Can you guys help me get started with this repair ? What are your thoughts ? Has anyone ever had an AK 84 do this before ?

not sure if i should have started a new topic or not Peter.
please let me know

Terry D