Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Tue 15, 2019 10:07 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: New eBay scam
PostPosted: Dec Thu 13, 2018 6:09 am 

Let me summarize the video below of how the scam works. The scammer sells you an item, but ships who knows what, usually a magazine or something that most people wouldn't care about. They ship it to a local business and require a signature. The USPS website doesn't show the address for delivery, and the business that gets the useless items usually just throws it away.

In this case, eBay asked for the official printout from the PO, which shows the signature and the address, but then eBay shot down the claim after that was sent by saying they needed it on official letterhead. According to the comments, he got it resolved, but it meant a lot of hoops to go through.

What I'm not getting though, is he says he payed with paypal instead of a credit card, however he could have used a credit card with paypal, which would have protected him that way. In any event, be careful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGyHYkMCbZY

Post subject: Re: New eBay scam
PostPosted: Dec Thu 13, 2018 7:24 am 

I don't get how this scam works. The seller would have to ship "something" to an address in the buyer's city, and "someone" would have to sign for it--meaning, the address itself would have to be legitimate or it would come back as undeliverable. OK, for instance, a person at Bixby's Cueball Cleaning and Waxing would have to sign for a package for Mr. Jones, even though there is no Mr Jones there. Might happen, but not if the address did not exist.

But, every buyer on eBay has a registered address; the seller has the ability to change this address before printing a label, BUT, there is a record when this is done. eBay would know they did this, and that is one reason you should never ship to a different address; eBay will not back a seller if they ship to the wrong (different) address.

Still don't understand how eBay could NOT back the buyer in this situation.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 13, 2018 9:16 am 

I had to play the video a couple times and read the comments to understand it myself.

You buy an item that's listed. In this case it was a guitar. The seller then goes and buys, for example, a copy of Time magazine. They ship that copy of Time to some random business in your town, In this case it was a restaurant. And the scammer may have even addressed it to the name of the restaurant. So the person there sees it was shipped to them. not sure why or why they have to sign for it, but whatever. But it's being shipped with a tracking number, which the scammer provides to eBay as the tracking number for the guitar. The PO, doesn't show the delivery address on their website, so the buyer had no way to know anything is wrong until the magazine is delivered.

It's taking advantage of two things. First, the lack of info that the PO has viewable, or for that matter available. If you ship something with them, and pint your own address label, and use a certified mail slip, then I don't think they put the address in with the tracking info anyway.

The second thing it takes advantage of is they know eBay is obviously not doing much research at all. In fact, this guy provided what they asked for, and they still denied the claim. He says later they made good on it, but I'm not sure what he had to go through.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 13, 2018 10:19 am 

I get it.
The package shows as being delivered, so AFA eBay is concerned, the seller has met his obligation. There is no evidence that the package was delivered to the buyer's address, only that it was delivered, which is all eBay is concerned about.

How to beat the scam? The buyer would file a SNAD claim with eBay, who would then send him a return label. He affixes it to an empty package and mails it. Once it shows as delivered back to the seller, he gets reimbursed. I think the expression is, "tit for tat"... :wink:

PostPosted: Dec Thu 13, 2018 1:27 pm 

I wonder if anyone has actual statistics on EBay transactions? I have sold a few things things over the years, but I've mostly been a buyer. A few radios, but mostly supplies: Eye tubes from Ukraine, Grundig tape recorder parts from Germany, magnet wire from Temco or Remington, 1N270 Ge diodes, etc. etc. And I think my wife once got some concert tickets.
For me---zero problems with EBay-----and I doubt that I am alone.

All that said, if I start selling some radios, I think I'll probably specify local pickup only, but agree to deliver to the shipper of the buyer's choice. For that option, I wonder what the options might be for getting the shipper to document what was actually shipped--as a defense against potential scams.

One long-standing curiousity: We're all aware of at least two sellers that make use of shills, and/or plaster their offerings all over CL to steer potential buyers to EBay. Has anyone ever confronted EBay with the evidence? Should we maybe try to get a show like 60 Minutes to do a story?......

PostPosted: Dec Thu 13, 2018 1:42 pm 

fifties wrote:
How to beat the scam? The buyer would file a SNAD claim with eBay, who would then send him a return label. He affixes it to an empty package and mails it. Once it shows as delivered back to the seller, he gets reimbursed. I think the expression is, "tit for tat"... :wink:

Nice idea but if the buyer registered a complaint that he/she never received the item, how can they claim to have sent it back.? Couldn't the seller challenge this claim? The only way I can see this working is if the refund policy is done automatically without any human inquiry or intervention.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 13, 2018 3:14 pm 

1. Buyer disregarded discrepancy between written description and photo in listing.
2. Seller had “0” feedback.
Buyer pays $1,500 anyway.

^^ these two red flags would prevent me from forwarding even $15.

I’ve been a very active seller and buyer on eBay for twenty years. I’ve never been scammed. I don’t feel sorry for this guy.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 13, 2018 4:42 pm 

Commensurate with the lame economy that has persisted for years, I've noticed an uptick on merchandise that was sold to me on eBay during the last two years which was either the wrong item, damaged, not as advertised, or was simply junk. In one instance, I received a $10.00 45 RPM record that was warped so bad that it looked like a saucer, but I didn't bother to return it because the hassle involved simply wasn't worth the trouble. Then there was that engine oil stick which was not only bent, but wasn't for the car at all. On still another occasion, I paid $175 for a used HP Deskjet 930C printer, and received a junk printer instead with no power cord or cartridges. I suppose that the seller was perhaps hoping that I would decide to keep that contraption, but that didn't happen. I simply contacted eBay, and I was then summarily reimbursed by the seller. As for that junk printer, I think that my sister dropped it off at a Goodwill store. Not surprisingly, the seller didn't want that printer back.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 13, 2018 7:25 pm 

Blustar: FYI-The economy has been very good the last several years, not lame.
Dan

PostPosted: Dec Thu 13, 2018 9:16 pm 

Indiana Radios wrote:
fifties wrote:

Nice idea but if the buyer registered a complaint that he/she never received the item, how can they claim to have sent it back.? Couldn't the seller challenge this claim? The only way I can see this working is if the refund policy is done automatically without any human inquiry or intervention.

The buyer has to be on his toes here. If it shows as delivered, when it really wasn't, he obviously can't double talk eBay. He either states he never received it, or files a SNAD; one or the other.

The safest way to go is to review the sellers F/B, and if he has none, sadly in this day and age, let someone else be the Guinea Pig. Whenever I buy something available from several high volume sellers, I review their F/B. The ones below 99% positive don't make the cut.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 14, 2018 4:37 am 

Look at the feedback of the seller. If the seller is a scammer he will have little or no feedback. Do not buy from a seller with zero feedback, unless it's a very inexpensive item and you want to take the risk knowing you won't lose much.

Museum Curator
https://roaringtwentiesantiqueradiomuseum.com/

PostPosted: Dec Fri 14, 2018 12:24 pm 

fifties wrote:
He affixes it to an empty package and mails it.

To be on the safe side, he should return a box that weighs the same as the scammer's original shipment, and maybe even the same dimensions. Not that eBay would dig into it that much, but if they did, it couldn't hurt to have that info on file.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 14, 2018 3:50 pm 

Let's not forget the good old USPS... I had several items misdelivered... I have video of the carriers exiting their vehicles with an arm's full of packages at the time my packages were supposedly delivered... ebay told me to pound sand, the post office told me to pound sand and the seller told me to pound sand... all in all a very sandy deal for me... I ate it all times but the real culprit was the stupid lazy carrier...

Jim

PostPosted: Dec Fri 14, 2018 6:10 pm 

pixellany wrote:
I wonder if anyone has actual statistics on EBay transactions? I have sold a few things things over the years, but I've mostly been a buyer. For me---zero problems with EBay-----and I doubt that I am alone.......

+1

Museum Curator

PostPosted: Dec Fri 14, 2018 8:22 pm 

philcophanatic wrote:
Let's not forget the good old USPS... I had several items misdelivered... I have video of the carriers exiting their vehicles with an arm's full of packages at the time my packages were supposedly delivered... ebay told me to pound sand, the post office told me to pound sand and the seller told me to pound sand... all in all a very sandy deal for me... I ate it all times but the real culprit was the stupid lazy carrier...

Jim

The above makes absolutely NO sense. eBay requires sellers to deliver what they sell; if the item does not arrive, no matter who is at fault, the buyers will get a refund.

If the seller and eBay both say "pound sand" then you made a mistake.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 14, 2018 8:56 pm 

I had a situation a few years back, where I had sold an electronic device, a router or something, and the tracking number was shown by USPS as having been delivered.

The recipient said he never got it, and filed a claim with eBay. I sent eBay a scan of the proof of delivery (this is before they got sophisticated in such), and they sided with me.

Afterward, the buyer admitted that another delivery the same day was also missing, and they suspected the items were stolen from their front porch. :roll: Everybody tries to get away with something.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 14, 2018 11:07 pm 

fifties wrote:
Everybody tries to get away with something.

Some of us do not. :|

Museum Curator

PostPosted: Dec Sat 15, 2018 10:06 am 

Never sell to a buyer with a freight forwarder address. You have no recourse if the buyer decides to lie and say they didn't get the package. I was scammed out of $500 recently this way. Expensive lesson

PostPosted: Dec Sun 16, 2018 4:50 am 

Porch pirates...
https://eu.usatoday.com/story/tech/2018 ... 218910002/

Greg.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 16, 2018 7:51 am 

^Another wonderful aspect of this day and age.

Send me back to the 1950's...I'll be a good boy and not cause trouble...Much.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 21 posts ]  Moderator: Lou deGonzague Go to page 1, 2  Next