Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Fri 19, 2019 4:43 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Couple of nice TVs in Chicagoland.
PostPosted: Dec Wed 12, 2018 11:19 pm 

A bakelite Admiral console with metal back and magnifier for only $200. One of the cleanest cabinets I've seen in quite a while.

http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=271154

Attachment:
adm.jpg
adm.jpg [ 148.91 KiB | Viewed 487 times ]

The other is a 21-inch predicta Holiday that looks to be in working condition (shows raster) for only $250.

http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=271153

Attachment:
p21.jpg
p21.jpg [ 107.16 KiB | Viewed 487 times ]

Post subject: Re: Couple of nice TVs in Chicagoland.
PostPosted: Dec Thu 13, 2018 1:17 am 

Two good deals. The Admiral is a classic and one of my favorite vintage TV's. It has mismatched knobs. They should all be dark brown, but none seem to be. They're pretty common one's though, or you could Krylon them. The metal back is pretty uncommon though.
The Predicata looks good and knowing the CRT is good is a big plus.
Anyone who wants to grab the Admiral, I'll give you the $200 for just that metal back and you can keep the set for free. :D I know, I'm crazy, but I've been looking for one for a long time now!

PostPosted: Dec Thu 13, 2018 4:58 pm 

One of my my all time favs too. Looks like there are some metal capped knobs on the Admiral. That's a thin brass sheet metal cap they put over the plastic knobs for the blonde finish models. They can be popped off to reveal pristine brown plastic knobs underneath :)

PostPosted: Dec Thu 13, 2018 5:57 pm 

bandersen wrote:
One of my my all time favs too. Looks like there are some metal capped knobs on the Admiral. That's a thin brass sheet metal cap they put over the plastic knobs for the blonde finish models. They can be popped off to reveal pristine brown plastic knobs underneath :)

Interesting Bob. I thought they had a metallic look to them! Likely that set was in the hands of some collector at one point being it's so clean. I agree that it's a great set. They work as good as they look too.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 17, 2018 1:52 am 

If you want the metal back - next time keep your eyes open for one of those Admiral Triple Thrill consoles that nobody wants and can be gotten for maybe 5 bucks. I believe they have that same metal back. I have one of those I bought for a buck sitting in my garage with that same metal back,

PostPosted: Dec Mon 17, 2018 2:05 am 

Nuke wrote:
If you want the metal back - next time keep your eyes open for one of those Admiral Triple Thrill consoles that nobody wants and can be gotten for maybe 5 bucks. I believe they have that same metal back. I have one of those I bought for a buck sitting in my garage with that same metal back,

Thanks. I've had my eyes open for an opportunity, but nothing so far. I know there was one with, I believe, a circular opening for a yoke control which would not be correct for my set. I learned that a lot of these don't have backs because the bakelite screw "tunnels" would easily chip-out when the screw was overtightened.