Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 16, 2019 8:27 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Is eBay Eliminating Last-second Bidding?
PostPosted: Dec Wed 26, 2018 10:29 pm 

You are exactly correct. So why are you pointing as fact that sniping work. The sniping sites makes money from the ignorance of people. They prophet a theory that people buy and religiously follow, without of any proof that really works.The only thing that you can say for sure is that you actually overpaid by $0.10 or whatever the site charges.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 26, 2018 10:30 pm 

dan3460 wrote:
I said i would not comment anymore but:
Where is your proof of the same book, with the same people and sniping?
An article is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. I don't spend too much time analyzing bid, i just think is stupid, but for this guy the book was worth $400. How do you know that maybe his max bid was $1000 and at $400 he got a bargain.

Maybe $1000 WAS his max bid. If he'd bid that $1000 at the last moment, looking at the bidding pattern fifties linked to, he'd very possibly have gotten it for $31 or $32. I can't speak for you, but I'd certainly consider $32 a much better bargain than $400, even if I were willing to pay up to $1k.

-Pat

PostPosted: Dec Wed 26, 2018 10:46 pm 

dan3460 wrote:
You are exactly correct. So why are you pointing as fact that sniping work. The sniping sites makes money from the ignorance of people. They prophet a theory that people buy and religiously follow, without of any proof that really works.The only thing that you can say for sure is that you actually overpaid by $0.10 or whatever the site charges.

As I mentioned in earlier posts, I have PERSONALLY seen incremental bidders bump the price up on auctions I've bid in at times when I've had to make my bid even 30 seconds early. I'm not sure what other 'proof' you think I need - what I've seen from watching and participating in ebay auctions over the years proves the benefit of sniping to my satisfaction. Please tell me how I'm being ignorant by adjusting my way of doing things to save my hard earned $$ based upon my repeated personal observations?

I'm still interested in hearing a theory regarding how bidding early DOESN'T often cost more $$, but you've yet to put one forth despite continuously denying evidence that sniping can save money because the supporting information provided is only anecdotal. Show me some evidence to the contrary, even anecdotal evidence. In my book, anecdotal evidence is better than NO evidence.

And incidentally, I snipe manually, so using this method of bidding has never cost me a dime.

-Pat

PostPosted: Dec Wed 26, 2018 10:52 pm 

ok you win!!

PostPosted: Dec Wed 26, 2018 11:56 pm 

dan3460 wrote:
ok you win!!

There is more than one way to skin a cat when it comes to auctions. Each bidding method had its advantages and disadvantages. In the end, as long as you are happy with what you win and what you paid for it, that is all that matters.

I prefer snipe bidding for eBay as that what has worked best for me. But everyone is free to do whatever works best for them.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 65 posts ]  Moderator: Lou deGonzague Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4