Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Mon 22, 2019 7:34 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: radiola 18 cabinet refinish
PostPosted: Jan Mon 28, 2019 4:54 pm 

I have a radiola 18 cabinet that I am in the process of refinishing. I've already removed the finish of the lid using lacquer thinner and acetone. I've attached a pic. It didn't come out as blonde as I expected. Is it fine as it is for refinish or is it possible that it has staining that needs to be removed?

As far is refinish is concerned, this is what I'm thinking. Light sanding with fine paper to remove oxidized wood. Apply grain filler. Sand smooth. Apply sanding sealer. Sand. Then begin to apply coats of aerosol based tinted lacquer from Mohawk or similar. I've never refinished a cabinet before and welcome critique and suggestions. Last thing I'm concerned about is that the dents and gouges in the cabinet are going to show if I used grain filler in them. You can see the condition of the cabinet in the pictures.

Attachments:
20190127_173944.jpg
20190127_173944.jpg [ 78.51 KiB | Viewed 309 times ]

Post subject: Re: radiola 18 cabinet refinish
PostPosted: Jan Tue 29, 2019 9:35 am 

Think you should spend some time searching the Forum for cabinet refinishing how to. There is lots on here, some use more complicated methods than others.

Wood is mahogany, or mine was (pics of it on here), so colour is about right. Wouldn't use Mohawk toners as getting a uniform non 'specky' finish is to me impossible on such large areas of wood.. There are other ways, stain, "artists oil paint method" etc.

Shame you have chosen a large difficult cabinet for a first refinish try. Better to start on a few small AA5's

Its too cold now, unless you have somewhere heated to spray lacquer from cans.

Gary

Post subject: Re: radiola 18 cabinet refinish
PostPosted: Jan Tue 29, 2019 10:24 pm 

My Radiola 18 had a shellac finish. It was a simple job to leave the original finish in place and do a French polish finish over it with shellac. It gave a high gloss finish without grain filling.
Ed.