Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Mon 21, 2019 9:14 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New E BAY seller advice
PostPosted: Mar Wed 13, 2019 5:03 am 

I think the number one most important aspect of selling is good photos and an honest description without spreading it on too thick if you know what I mean. I sold some radios in the last couple months with good results and no headaches. One guy was going to return a Zenith that he said was too flimsy ( bakelite radio, nothing wrong on my part) . The money was locked up in paypal for 2 weeks while he was to return it. It was a no show and my money was released . EBAY seems to be the only auction service that allows for buyer remorse. Shipping is a losing part of the deal when you consider the double boxing and packing materials, and the extra time required to pack correctly. I did get several kudos for over the top packing, for what its worth. Its a winter hobby with hobby money; I avoid any stress and if the buyer is happy , I am happy.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 13, 2019 5:21 am 

There is going to be some measure of loss in any retail venue. I would suggest that the occasional unscrupled eBay buyer who claims a bogus NAD and/or sends back a box of rocks, is the equivalent to a B&M store shoplifter. In both cases, thieves, and as well, just an unfortunate part of doing business. Having owned a retail store for 11 years, I think I qualify to offer that comparison.
I've been selling on The Bay since 1998, not all that much each year, but I am happy to say that buyer complaints have been rare, and I don't think that I've ever had a return.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 13, 2019 2:45 pm 

When Ebay started, there were lots of issues with buyers getting junk that differed significantly from what was described, or getting nothing at all. The latter is outright fraud, so Ebay had to take measures to protect buyers or risk being found legally liable for enabling fraudulent sellers. Consumer protection laws exist for a reason, and Ebay, along with brick-and-mortar auction houses and other online venues, are subject to those laws as well.

The other issue that started to become rampant on Ebay were sellers offering items for a penny, but charging a fixed $100 or more for shipping and handling as a way to avoid listing fees, so Ebay had to step in and include shipping and handling charges when calculating their fees. That also was 100% the fault of fraudulent and unscrupulous sellers.

What's unfortunate is that Ebay did swing the pendulum a bit too far towards the buyer, so there are indeed risks of loss as a seller. If you do get scammed by a buyer that ships back a box of rocks for a return, be sure to report that buyer to Ebay. While you may not get your money back, if Ebay gets enough complaints about a buyer, they will close that account and block that person from operating on Ebay. Also, be sure to block that buyer from your auctions going forward.

Every retail venue has its share of crooks and frauds. Don't even get me started on antique dealers and flea market vendors. Fortunately, the overwhelming majority of buyers are honest and just are simply looking for a way to purchase something that they cannot otherwise obtain (or easily obtain) from other sources.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 13, 2019 9:26 pm 

Quote:
That's if the buyer even sends back the actual item. Even if the seller wins, good luck getting the actual item back instead of a box of rocks. Try proving to eBay or PP that you didn't receive the original item back. Nope. They only care about the tracking that says it was delivered. Too bad, so sad, case closed.

There is a saying that the only difference between a Republican and a Democrat is that a Democrat hasn't been mugged yet. So whenever one of these horror stories happens to me, I guess that I'll be changing my tune. But for now I've only dealt with nice buyers.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 14, 2019 1:50 am 

Bye bye thread. You were nice while you lasted...

PostPosted: Mar Thu 14, 2019 4:24 am 

lexrageorge wrote:
If you do get scammed by a buyer that ships back a box of rocks for a return, be sure to report that buyer to Ebay. While you may not get your money back, if Ebay gets enough complaints about a buyer, they will close that account and block that person from operating on Ebay. Also, be sure to block that buyer from your auctions going forward.

While that might be a feel good action to take, it means nothing. If a scammer gets their user nic banned on eBay, they can simply start another account using a different email address and nic, and they're back in business.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 14, 2019 5:32 am 

fifties wrote:
lexrageorge wrote:
If you do get scammed by a buyer that ships back a box of rocks for a return, be sure to report that buyer to Ebay. While you may not get your money back, if Ebay gets enough complaints about a buyer, they will close that account and block that person from operating on Ebay. Also, be sure to block that buyer from your auctions going forward.

While that might be a feel good action to take, it means nothing. If a scammer gets their user nic banned on eBay, they can simply start another account using a different email address and nic, and they're back in business.

Exactly as fifties stated.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 14, 2019 5:46 am 

EX COT wrote:
I think the number one most important aspect of selling is good photos and an honest description without spreading it on too thick if you know what I mean. I sold some radios in the last couple months with good results and no headaches. One guy was going to return a Zenith that he said was too flimsy ( bakelite radio, nothing wrong on my part) . The money was locked up in paypal for 2 weeks while he was to return it. It was a no show and my money was released . EBAY seems to be the only auction service that allows for buyer remorse. Shipping is a losing part of the deal when you consider the double boxing and packing materials, and the extra time required to pack correctly. I did get several kudos for over the top packing, for what its worth. Its a winter hobby with hobby money; I avoid any stress and if the buyer is happy , I am happy.

Very good that you over package, in the long run its a lot cheaper than refunding money because the radio arrived damaged.

Museum Curator
https://roaringtwentiesantiqueradiomuseum.com/

PostPosted: Mar Thu 14, 2019 9:10 am 

Be sure to read, and then re-read both EBAY and PAYPAL's seller protection policies.

After that search FED-EX and UPS's websites for their package guidelines. The UPS one is almost useless, but the FED-EX one is very detailed. The FED-EX one is spelling out for you minimum requirements to packaging in order to not have a claim denied.

Ignore them and your claim will be denied. The UPS one does point out useful tidbits that will be used against you if ignored- such as boxes over 70lbs are to be marked as such in bold letters.

As was pointed out, block bidders that keep asking you bizarre/stupid/extremely long questions.

Don't be tempted to let the pictures do all the talking. Notate all defects in writing in the description. If it has a dent on the left side of the face panel- say so. If it has multiple scratches everywhere- say so. Covered in nicotine- say so. Rust on the chassis- say so.

If you gloss over everything and or use vague descriptions such as "GREAT CONDITION FOR BEING 77 YEARS OLD" or "DON'T EXPECT NEW AT THIS PRICE" - you are going to get ^%^%^&^.

If you fail to notate major defects in WRITING in the description, ebay will almost always side with the buyer in a NAD case.

Ebay is more work than Craiglist, Facebook Marketplace, LetGo, and here or a swapmeet. But more work usually equals a quicker sale and/or higher price. It is up to you to weigh the options. Generally the more its worth is the deciding factor, but major hassle's with packaging and transporting will also sway me- I gave up shipping speaker systems years ago.........but I am now sitting on quite a few guitar amplifiers I have to sell. Tempted to sell them at a loss to remind myself not to be so stupid again...

PostPosted: Mar Thu 14, 2019 1:18 pm 

8417 wrote:
Be sure to read, and then re-read both EBAY and PAYPAL's seller protection policies.

After that search FED-EX and UPS's websites for their package guidelines. The UPS one is almost useless, but the FED-EX one is very detailed. The FED-EX one is spelling out for you minimum requirements to packaging in order to not have a claim denied.

Ignore them and your claim will be denied. The UPS one does point out useful tidbits that will be used against you if ignored- such as boxes over 70lbs are to be marked as such in bold letters.

As was pointed out, block bidders that keep asking you bizarre/stupid/extremely long questions.

Don't be tempted to let the pictures do all the talking. Notate all defects in writing in the description. If it has a dent on the left side of the face panel- say so. If it has multiple scratches everywhere- say so. Covered in nicotine- say so. Rust on the chassis- say so.

If you gloss over everything and or use vague descriptions such as "GREAT CONDITION FOR BEING 77 YEARS OLD" or "DON'T EXPECT NEW AT THIS PRICE" - you are going to get ^%^%^&^.

If you fail to notate major defects in WRITING in the description, ebay will almost always side with the buyer in a NAD case.

Ebay is more work than Craiglist, Facebook Marketplace, LetGo, and here or a swapmeet. But more work usually equals a quicker sale and/or higher price. It is up to you to weigh the options. Generally the more its worth is the deciding factor, but major hassle's with packaging and transporting will also sway me- I gave up shipping speaker systems years ago.........but I am now sitting on quite a few guitar amplifiers I have to sell. Tempted to sell them at a loss to remind myself not to be so stupid again...

AMEN. :)

PostPosted: Mar Thu 14, 2019 2:47 pm 

Thank you all so much for the input already given - it was exactly what I was asking - and hoping - for, and has given me a lot to think on.

As I said earlier, my main goal is to buy things to restore, since that is what I like, and in the long run basically break even with as little drama as I can manage. I have no plans to sell anything via auction, all buy-it-now. A few assumptions :shock: I am currently working with to one degree or another to hopefully lessen the issues: First, I would think that by the very nature of what I am selling, much the same as extensively restored radios, is enough of a niche market to cut down on the scammers. Further, not selling at auction and setting high-but-fair prices further reduces me as a target. If someone wants to pay full asking price, well, I'm certainly not going to say no. If someone makes an offer, it gives me a chance to look at their buyer rating before making a decision. In the event it's sold, it gets sent with very good packing and documentation. Speaking of documentation, I'm thinking that anything written is either neutral or describes any imperfections. Let the pictures show anything positive (unit in operation and passing test, self-test OK screens etc.) and "as-is" disclaimers everywhere else. I really want to give full disclosure, but it's the implied things that I want to protect against.

When it's all said and done* I want to be the honest seller to the honest buyer. I think the majority fall into those categories, but this is very much a case where I have to hope for the best and plan for the worst.

Thank you all again for the comments, and i look forward to more.

Hal

* When all is said and done, much more is usually said than done.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 14, 2019 7:53 pm 

fifties wrote:
If a scammer gets their user nic banned on eBay, they can simply start another account using a different email address and nic, and they're back in business.

They can certainly do that, but remember there's the PP-verified address, which most savvy sellers will only ship to.

When the scammer buys, even using a CC, they'll almost certainly be going thru PP, since that's how most eBay sellers process CC transactions.
PP has the buyer's street address and other personal data. A seller can see the PP destination address and, recognizing it's the same scammer (or a blacklisted individual), simply cancel the sale and do an instant refund, sparing the seller the drama.
Canceling a sale normally earns a defect strike against the seller, if the buyer hasn't agreed to the cancellation (a scammer likely won't). However, eBay may credit fees, if the seller gives the reason for cancellation as the buyer being a known scammer (this is where the previous report to eBay can come in handy): https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees- ... ts?id=4128
Quote:
If your item doesn't sell, or if there was an issue with the transaction, you may qualify for a credit on the final value fee, payments processing fee, or insertion fee.

It would seem the only way creating a new eBay account would allow for scamming the same seller twice is if the scammer uses a completely different real name, username, email and street address for a new eBay and new PP account, which basically would mean they'd either need to use a professionally made fake ID (and manage to fool PP with the address verification) or use a friend or relative (i.e., fellow scammer associates), or move to a new street address (and use a fake name).

So, while it's true that sellers who never dealt with said scammer (or found them on a blacklist) could be in for a ride, the once-bitten seller should be protected from the same scammer operating under merely a new eBay username and email address.

It's pretty easy to scam a seller once, but it takes more effort to scam the same seller twice. I recommended earlier in the thread that the victim should plaster the scammer's info on every blacklist they can find, to help warn other sellers in advance, but that won't help much if the scammer just keeps switching to all-new identities/entities.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 32 posts ]  Moderator: Lou deGonzague Go to page Previous  1, 2