Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Thu 21, 2019 12:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Zenith 5-S-319 knob removal help needed
PostPosted: Mar Fri 15, 2019 10:02 pm 

I want to detail the cabinet on my little Zenith 5-S-319 and I can't get the knobs to move. I've tried wrapping floss behind the knob pulling out and I've tried pliers with tape padding the jaws and nothing moves them at all. I know about the flange on the knob wanting to pop off, if I apply pressure around the edges, so I'm wary of doing that. What else???

Post subject: Re: Zenith 5-S-319 knob removal help needed
PostPosted: Mar Sat 16, 2019 1:30 am 

meat fork

make sure that there is not a set screw.

PostPosted: Mar Sat 16, 2019 9:45 am 

Would try to get some lube in there, say W40, by laying the radio forward and squirting. Leave over night.

Could try taking out the chassis screws then slip a piece of thin cardboard around the knob spindle to protect the cabinet. Cardboard will need a hole punched in it for the spindle and then a slit to slide it over.
Now with someone holding the cabinet firmly push the chassis a far forward as it will go and then rapidly jerk it straight back. I assume all other knobs are off.

Gary

PostPosted: Mar Sat 16, 2019 2:52 pm 

Believe me, meat fork or auto trim remover tool
Place cardboard behind knob so as not to mar cabinet an use fork or tool
To pry off , better than jerking the control apart

PostPosted: Mar Sat 16, 2019 9:59 pm 

I had that problem with a knob on the Volume/on-off switch. I used the two pieces of cloth trick and held the radio with my feet. It did finally come off along with the shaft that pulled through the E-ring that holds it in the control. Some SOB had glued the knob onto the shaft. I had to use a crappy old chisel to break the knob in pieces. The shaft had a split in it and all that was needed was to just spread the split a tad or so. I was able to get the shaft back in the control by spreading the E-ring a little, but it took me a while to do it.

Good Luck with yours.
Freeman

Post subject: Re: Zenith 5-S-319 knob removal help needed/Got it!!
PostPosted: Mar Sat 16, 2019 11:39 pm 

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. What wound up working for me was: I wrapped each knob tightly in about three wraps of 3/4" wide duct tape (electrical tape slid off during this procedure) and used the channel locks pictured to carefully squeeze and pull like crazy. It took pulling from two different directions to finally budge them off with no damage. As you can see in the pic, the excellent original finish on the cabinet and the escutcheon behind two of the knobs, didn't allow me to assist from the back side of the knobs without risking damaging either backing. Spraying a lube was risky with that nice finish and the felts behind each knob that would've absorbed most of the lube. Anyway, they're off! Hopefully this method helps someone in the future.

If this method hadn't worked, I was going to take a large thin flat washer and cut a slot to the center hole, so I could slide it behind the knob. If you drill two opposing holes near the outer edges, prior to inserting it on the knob stem, you could use wire thru those outer holes to pull with and hopefully not damage the flange on the knob.

Now it's cabinet detailing time!

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Mar Sun 17, 2019 5:45 am 

Freeman wrote:
I had that problem with a knob on the Volume/on-off switch. I used the two pieces of cloth trick and held the radio with my feet.

Could you do that pose again, and have someone take a picture that you could post here? :wink: