Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Fri 19, 2019 8:13 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Opinions on "reconstituted" Veneer.
PostPosted: Mar Sun 24, 2019 2:35 am 

Hi all, looking for some informed opinions on this product.

I need to redo the cabinet on my Seeburg jukebox, the original finish was "Zebrawood", but it wasn't actual veneer, just a simulated finish.

I can get real Zebrawood veneer, or "reconstituted" which is real wood veneer of a cheaper type with the pattern printed on it.

One big advantage is the cost is way less than half the real thing, in the photos it looks quite good to me.
The original finish was fake to begin with (really fake, as in painted on) so I figure it doesn't need to be real Zebrawood now, and it might even be closer to the original finish.

Another advantage, besides cost, is the uniformity, there wont be any surprises or defects in the pattern, the base is real paper backed wood veneer so applying it should be the same and it should be as durable.

Has anyone used this stuff before, any problems I should be aware of? Another person in the Jukebox forums has used it and was very happy with it, I'd just like some more opinions before I jump in.

This photo shows what it should look like:

Attachment:
zebrawood.jpg
zebrawood.jpg [ 50.95 KiB | Viewed 650 times ]

And this is a photo of the reconstituted Zebrawood (very close IMO):

Attachment:
zebrafake.jpg
zebrafake.jpg [ 68.83 KiB | Viewed 650 times ]

Post subject: Re: Opinions on "reconstituted" Veneer.
PostPosted: Mar Mon 25, 2019 12:58 am 

The one thing you need to be aware of is if you plan on spraying the paper backed veneer with a lacquer based product is. If the veneer does not have at least 3 coats of a shellac based sanding sealer, the lacquer WILL attack the paper backed adhesive. It will then bubble up and make a real mess. Don't ask me how I know. The veneer is super thin and the paper backed adhesive is not compatible with lacquer, I'd steer clear and maybe use a poly type finish if you don't want any trouble.
Tony

PostPosted: Mar Mon 25, 2019 1:02 am 

Well Tony, that's disturbing news.
On my last box I used Lacquer right over the veneer (paper backed) with no sealer. it was however real Oak veneer so maybe not an issue? I've had no trouble with it yet.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 25, 2019 4:15 pm 

I have sprayed lacquer directly on paper backed veneer many times and have never had a problem.

Steve

PostPosted: Mar Thu 28, 2019 1:51 am 

Another thing I am concerned about with this product is possibly sanding through the pattern when sanding the edges flush.
Since it's printed on I wonder how much it can be sanded without removing the pattern?

PostPosted: Mar Thu 28, 2019 11:24 am 
Site Admin

Eric H wrote:
Since it's printed on I wonder how much it can be sanded without removing the pattern?

Pretty much zero, but why would you need to sand it in the first place?

PostPosted: Mar Thu 28, 2019 3:35 pm 

You can sand just as you would any other veneer. The grain pattern is not just printed on. Reconstituted or sometimes referred to as composite veneer is real wood. It is made using inexpensive wood that has been sliced into sheets of varying thickness and are dyed varying colors. The sheets are then stacked in a careful order and glued in a press to create a large block. The block is then sliced into veneer and the paper backing is added. Some reconstituted veneers look very good, especially the quarter cut, though I have seen some flat cut and some burls that look down right phony.

Steve

PostPosted: Mar Fri 29, 2019 10:46 pm 

The reconstitute veneer may be half the price of the real Zebrano veneer, but even if you used the real stuff how much of it would you really need, in square feet? If you were covering large areas, like a dining room table, but if it's just a few pieces that are 1 square foot or under you can buy small pieces rather inexpensively from fleabay.
Regards
Arran

PostPosted: Mar Sat 30, 2019 5:50 pm 

It'll probably take most of a 4x8 sheet, possibly more. The sides are large slabs about 27" at the wide part, and the pattern runs at an angle on everything so that uses up more square footage.

I plan on making paper patterns and using them to figure out the best layout.

PostPosted: Apr Tue 02, 2019 7:25 am 

Good veneer isn't cheap. I just got a $454 quote on a 4X8 sheet which is about the 32BF lumber price. I was fortunate to find a couple of dozen veneer spindles (what the veneer blade couldn't reach) with much better than average figure for half that. Another advantage of living in the forest.

John