Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Tue 19, 2019 9:34 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: I need your interpretation!
PostPosted: Apr Sat 13, 2019 10:16 pm 

The following is an excerpt from the 1934 Sears Silvertone Catalog concerning a 57FM1824 console:

“The instrument panel is a combination of veneers with stump walnut at top and bottom; center of sliced cut walnut and elm burl with metal alloy inlays; remainder, walnut and other hardwood veneers, all beautifully polished.”

What is your interpretation of "beautifully polished"? I believe it to mean that the entire radio is "mirror" polished. There are no pictures other than the hand drawn old black and white brochure on radiomuseum.org, which I cannot reproduce, but it does appear that it reflects the surrounding.

Pat

Post subject: Re: I need your interpretation!
PostPosted: Apr Sat 13, 2019 11:55 pm 

In my opinion - - this Grunow is Beautifully polished.
https://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/vi ... 6#p1734916

This Silvertone is not far behind, though it's hard to see with the shop lighting.
http://www.raincityaudio.us/blog/1938-s ... dio-repair

If it was mirror finished, they would have said so. Lol
Greg.

Edit: reflects the surrounding?

someone has pulled that image from the catalog, and added a drop-shaddow in Photoshop!

PostPosted: Apr Sun 14, 2019 12:04 am 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
Restorationnut wrote:
What is your interpretation of "beautifully polished"? I believe it to mean that the entire radio is "mirror" polished.
Pat

I agree.

There is a lot of debate about "how polished" radios were originally. It's hard to tell unless we can see an actual original, unfaded, unmolested finish. Some years ago I had one of the Philco 116 models with the lid over the dial scale. The lid on this model would fold down on itself when lifted to expose the dials and there was no reason for the inside finish of the lid to ever be exposed to "anything". While the exterior of this set was quite dulled, the interior of the lid was polished like a grand piano before a Liberace concert. There were other examples that I saw over the years, illustrating the same.

My opinion is that most radios came polished, maybe not quite to a mirror finish, but to a level far more than most sets are "refinished" to today.

PostPosted: Apr Sun 14, 2019 12:04 pm 

If it was mirror finished, they would have said so. Lol
Greg.

But have you ever seen the term "mirror finish" in an ad?