Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Wed 16, 2019 6:23 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Your Opinion, Please...
PostPosted: May Wed 15, 2019 9:01 am 

There is a seller on eBay now that is selling packs of NOS resistors. The title clearly says you will receive more than 500 resistors. All the pictures (4, I think) show what is obviously a lot more than 500 resistors; the picture is taken outside and there are dozens of plastic wrapped packs of new resistors.

In the text he states that the 500+ resistors will be taken from that pile. He doesn't make mention of the values or wattages.

Would you consider his action of showing a very large pile of resistors, then stating you would only receive more than 500, to be deceptive? I have seen many sellers show multiple items when the listing is for less, or even one. Is this misleading?

Post subject: Re: Your Opinion, Please...
PostPosted: May Wed 15, 2019 11:46 am 

Hard to say.. I don't like when sellers do that.
They show multiple items in the main photo and then state in the description only that you are receiving one.
There are 4 in your photo. You should be offering the 4 in the listing for the listed price.
It is definitely deception to make you have to scrutinize the listing to find out what you are getting.

That said... i have sorta done it in the past where I had multiples of one tube that were date matched. I showed the whole box but it was not the main photo. It was the last photo and described in the listing to show I had the box in date order.
I DID get crap from a guy once who said he was confused b the listing.

:)

PostPosted: May Wed 15, 2019 12:47 pm 

Johnnysan wrote:

Would you consider his action of showing a very large pile of resistors, then stating you would only receive more than 500, to be deceptive? I have seen many sellers show multiple items when the listing is for less, or even one. Is this misleading?

I have seen that many times also. I can't understand why a seller would do this, especially considering that Ebay always sides with the buyer. There are a bunch of sellers who show you hundreds of tubes, but you only get one, that being the tube number that is in the listing title. The seller never puts up a picture of the actual item, only the large lot of tubes. Why bother showing all of them? Just show the item you are actually selling. I don't think this kind of stuff helps the seller.

PostPosted: May Wed 15, 2019 1:16 pm 

Ebay once suggested this in the detailed description:

Two shown for clarity, price is for one (1) name of item.

Why?

You have to go back to a lawsuit against an e-tailer that showed two (of the same) fishing lures. They used that verbiage, got challenged by a customer, and yet it survived two court appeals. I had an eBay store in 2006/2007 and eBay sent an eBay stores newsletter about the lawsuit and the ramifications for sellers. They gave an example - a jewelry item as an example. Show front and back in one pic, use the above wording (or two shown for detail, only one item offered) to avoid buyers making a claim.

I used to bid on one seller's "300+ Electronic Parts" - a chance/risk first, but when the first 24X24X24" box arrived, I bid on EVERY SINGLE ONE after that. I got 1000+ in every lot, every time.

I've said it a thousand times - subscribe to AuctionBytes or ECommerceBytes newsletters - this stuff comes up in their newsletters, and they always get the official word from eBay. Free, no-nonsense advice and a great heads-up if something is coming that will impact sellers. Many times I've seen targeted questions asked of eBay that cause eBay to scuttle a new idea, after AuctionBytes made them aware of something those folks at eBay didn't consider. No affiliation, just a happy subscriber that doesn't have to guess, or ask questions....

PostPosted: May Wed 15, 2019 1:35 pm 

My method of operation:
Describe in painfully accurate wording, as if there were no pictures, and take enough pictures so that there is no need for a written description.
I wish that was an ebay rule, but no, they even recommend that you use pictures from their vault instead of actual pictures of your item. I was scrolling once, and saw a picture of MY Sams CB manuals in another guys listing. I've seen this since on several of my items - I take nice pics and give full descriptions after some research, and I see some Neanderthal quoting me word for word.
I've gotten duped before-a guy had a picture of two of the item, and he said "found some more of these..", yet I only received one.
Dan

PostPosted: May Wed 15, 2019 2:14 pm 

Johnnysan wrote:
There is a seller on eBay now that is selling packs of NOS resistors.

Link?

PostPosted: May Wed 15, 2019 2:15 pm 

I don't know if deceptive is the right word but close enough I guess. When I look at a sale item that is what I want to see . Just that. I don't want to have to determine what is or is not for sale or try to interpret anything. If one item is being sold say and show that. I don't want to see a whole collection of whatever with a bunch of nonsense wording .
Just my $.02
Henry

PostPosted: May Wed 15, 2019 11:39 pm 

Funny,
I had this listed and thought it was a good clear listing..
Now reading it as a buyer I cant believe I listed it like this...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192880929118

:(