Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Mon 16, 2019 1:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: '31 Victor Radio repwood mini console
PostPosted: May Thu 16, 2019 1:54 am 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RCA-R3-Console ... SwH3Zc3IAf
I always wanted one of these oddball consoles, especially after seeing how small they are. You don't see examples this nice for sale anymore. The chassis looks quite busy! I wonder how difficult they are to restore.

Post subject: Re: '31 Victor Radio repwood mini console
PostPosted: May Sat 18, 2019 10:50 pm 

I know this as the Victor R15, RCA Radiola 48, GE T-41, Westinghouse WR-4 and Graybar 678.

I'm not sure where the RCA R-3 comes from.

Ive owned this Victor and GE versions. They are unusually designed chassis. The main issue the GE I had was the 80 socket had arced between the plate pins.
I had to replace the socket, so I installed a Bakelite type rather than the phenolic type that it originally had.

It was a pretty decent player, but just didn't do much for me so I ended up letting both go. I never restored the Victor.

I believe I still have a chassis and speaker up in the loft from a 3rd one I owned which was falling apart.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: May Sun 19, 2019 12:31 am 

azenithnut wrote:
I know this as the Victor R15, RCA Radiola 48, GE T-41, Westinghouse WR-4 and Graybar 678.

I'm not sure where the RCA R-3 comes from.

Ive owned this Victor and GE versions. They are unusually designed chassis. The main issue the GE I had was the 80 socket had arced between the plate pins.
I had to replace the socket, so I installed a Bakelite type rather than the phenolic type that it originally had.

It was a pretty decent player, but just didn't do much for me so I ended up letting both go. I never restored the Victor.

I believe I still have a chassis and speaker up in the loft from a 3rd one I owned which was falling apart.

-Steve

Thanks for that info Steve. I saw one of these, I believe the GE version, in an old radio shop as a kid. I loved how small it was! In all my years I never had the chance to acquire one or even see another one on person.

PostPosted: May Sun 19, 2019 4:24 am 

You should make room for that one, Joe. Make that memory a reality.

PostPosted: May Sun 19, 2019 11:52 am 

SteveG wrote:
You should make room for that one, Joe. Make that memory a reality.

Thanks Steve. The problem is I jammed my place to full compacity and I can't get myself to part with anything!
Actually two sets from that old radio/TV repair shop stand out - the little GE console and the '38 RCA 816K console. I never got either one. The small shop was jammed from floor to ceiling with vintage radios and TV's that he gathered from decades of service.