Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Mon 03, 2020 4:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: One-Tube Radio Suggestions / Schematic
PostPosted: Oct Wed 09, 2019 4:37 am 

I have been asked to make a progress of radio display for demonstration at a local festival depicting history of radio in our valley. Coming up with a "hands-on" early style crystal radio is no problem. I would also like to include a vintage hands-on early twenties one-tube regen using an '01A. I have ample components to build a very authentic one-tube set using parts of that era. Here is the hitch, It will be on display for a few days, there is no AC power available and I just as soon not have to worry about recharging batteries or run a perfectly good '01A for all that time especially at the hands of inexperienced spectators. My initial thought is to construct a typical one-tube regen set of that era with the big dials, coils and '01A BUT instead of employing an operating '01A, use a dud in the socket and someplace hidden under the breadboard have a solid state circuit replacing the function of the '01A but retaining the function of the other original controls. I would like to have the set have an operating regen for the old radio nostalgic effect. I am hoping that someone has made such a display so I do not have to "reinvent the wheel". Basically I am looking for a solid state '01A replacement schematic that that is regen compatible and operates on low a voltage of say 6-9 volts.

Thanks for your help.
Bob

Post subject: Re: One-Tube Radio Suggestions / Schematic
PostPosted: Oct Wed 09, 2019 5:03 am 

Why don't you use a 1.5v filament battery radio tube from the thirties? They are common and cheap. A UV199 also runs on dry cells but is a bit more expensive as it might set one back 10 bucks for a good one. The "D" dry cell 1.5v for the filament and three 9v batteries in series for the B supply will run a tube for weeks. You can even add a couple of battery set tubes to amplify the audio to feed a loudspeaker.

Your display won't then be phony as most displays are these days. (We all live in a world of fake things and revisionist or distorted history and putting a solid state receiver under the tube is unfortunately following today's fake trend).

PostPosted: Oct Wed 09, 2019 5:56 am 

Thank you for your comments. I prefer not to use a thirties vintage battery tube for it is too new. I have on my shelf a few regen sets that I have built using my favorite #49 tube and I could use one of those sets but I am looking for an example of a home built radio that fills the era between the crystal set and the all so common back then three dialers which I will also display not running. I have spare 99's and had not thought of the '99 and that is a possibility if I use a push button switch to minimize its on-time. Again, I have a number of radios in my personal collection that use the '99 and just as soon not use up a good one. I also have in my personal collection working commercial sets of that era that use WD-11's and WD-12's which would be perfect for the display but no way would I use one of those as a hands-on display.
Bob

PostPosted: Oct Wed 09, 2019 5:12 pm 

https://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/vi ... 9&t=259831

and

https://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/vi ... 19&t=81553

GL

Chas

Set the "A" supply at 5.5 volts and the "B" at 22-1/2 unless the viewers are going to short or mess with the wiring, take out the tube and bust it. Well, I think your safe using a 201a...

PostPosted: Oct Wed 09, 2019 7:17 pm 

Are you or another responsible adult going to be there the entire time? Reason being is I have built a few items for hands on displays and at the end of the event its usually broken, often at the hands of little ones climbing all over it and doing things it was never meant to do. I would build something that looks the part but you can bring home in pieces without fear.

https://ornerscorner.neocities.org

PostPosted: Oct Wed 09, 2019 7:58 pm 

What about a circuit that allows the batteries to be connected for a short amount of time, say two or three minutes, after a button is pushed?
John

Post subject: Re: One-Tube Radio Suggestions / Schematic (Info. Found)
PostPosted: Oct Wed 09, 2019 11:52 pm 

Thank you all for your comments. Chas, your second suggested website contained a link to greenhillsgf.com which had the exact the information that I was looking for. I appreciate your providing me with the needed information.
Bob

Post subject: Re: One-Tube Radio Suggestions / Schematic (Info. Found)
PostPosted: Oct Thu 10, 2019 12:16 am 

k2glo wrote:
Thank you all for your comments. Chas, your second suggested website contained a link to greenhillsgf.com which had the exact the information that I was looking for. I appreciate your providing me with the needed information.
Bob
Just a couple of minutes mining Google :D
Get back to us on the project, vids on YouTube of wide eyed kids welcome...

Impressing the young ones helps to keep the old technology alive.

Don't forget to add Amateur radio too... Maybe some ARRL handouts?

Chas

PostPosted: Oct Thu 10, 2019 3:20 am 

Good Idea
Bob