Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Thu 22, 2020 10:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Spartan 931 restore fun
PostPosted: Jan Tue 07, 2020 2:51 am 

Just before Christmas, I picked up a Spartan 931. The chassis and speaker are in pretty good shape, but the cabinet had the usual scuffs, dents and bad watermarks. Because it had NO doors, I got it for good price. I had a blast getting it back in shape and thought I'd share a couple quick photo's and comments.
Here's the unfinished cabinet during the first door fitting. The doors are 5/8" thick solid walnut.
Attachment:
File comment: initial door fitting
IMG_1685_sm.jpg
IMG_1685_sm.jpg [ 378.34 KiB | Viewed 1344 times ]

Here is the front, it was in pretty good shape, but there was enough small damage that it had to be refinished.
Attachment:
IMG_1686_sm.jpg
IMG_1686_sm.jpg [ 399.88 KiB | Viewed 1344 times ]

After fitting the doors, I took them off and proceeded to strip and sand the entire cabinet. Happily the watermarks on the top came out. Here the cabinet after the sanding sealer was applied, lightly sanded, then a clear coat of lacquer, another light sanding, then I toned the dark woods.
Attachment:
IMG_1700_sm.jpg
IMG_1700_sm.jpg [ 373.08 KiB | Viewed 1344 times ]

Here's the final cabinet, with the toned new wood appliques and rosettes on the doors. (six total lacquer coats)
Attachment:
IMG_1702_sm.jpg
IMG_1702_sm.jpg [ 415.51 KiB | Viewed 1344 times ]

It turned out to be a pretty cabinet. And I'm happy with the final look.
Now.... on to the electronics, NOT my strong suit. But I'm learning.

Happy New Year Everybody!
RT

Post subject: Re: Spartan 931 restore fun
PostPosted: Jan Tue 07, 2020 3:03 am 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
Very nice. I especially like the grain bookmatch on the doors. I don't like the contrast level between the trim and the panels. I find it too strong.

Nice work !!

PostPosted: Jan Tue 07, 2020 10:12 am 

That's a remarkably good outcome. Could you buy the door appliques?

Well done Gary

PostPosted: Jan Tue 07, 2020 5:16 pm 

Thanks guys. I appreciate and value the comments. I did buy appliques. They are all over the internet. These were basswood and were the closest I could find to the original patterns.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 07, 2020 6:13 pm 

Thanks for tip on obliques.

" I don't like the contrast level between the trim and the panels. I find it too strong.". But many radio of the era were like that and the colour looks right with the original. The shine will dull down with time and it may look a lot softer in room lighting as well.

In all an excellent effort.

Gary

PostPosted: Jan Tue 07, 2020 7:38 pm 

My current post deals with just this problem. The color the factory used was more of a very dark brown. If I tape it all up like you did, the difference will still be noticeable. Yours looks OK, it's just a design statement to me.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 07, 2020 7:55 pm 

Radio Fixer wrote:
Thanks for tip on obliques.

" I don't like the contrast level between the trim and the panels. I find it too strong.". But many radio of the era were like that and the colour looks right with the original. The shine will dull down with time and it may look a lot softer in room lighting as well.

In all an excellent effort.

Gary

Yes, I agree that many of the radios of the time had strong contrasts. My point comes from what I saw when I went to Mr Google (after seeing the OP's photos) and searched out photos of this model to see just what came from the factory. I liked the factory trim levels better.

Yes, I definitely agree that it was an excellent effort and I say that having worked in a commercial millwork shop doing exactly the sort of door construction that is presented here.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 07, 2020 10:48 pm 

I like the contrast look on your restoration. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but it seems to look just fine the way you did it. Just for camparison, here a couple of other 931's. Cheers, Russie

Attachments:
Sparton_931_Toppo.jpg
Sparton_931_Toppo.jpg [ 126.79 KiB | Viewed 1262 times ]
Sparton 931b.jpg
Sparton 931b.jpg [ 159.99 KiB | Viewed 1262 times ]
Sparton 931c.jpg
Sparton 931c.jpg [ 145.39 KiB | Viewed 1262 times ]
Sparton 931d.jpg
Sparton 931d.jpg [ 55.65 KiB | Viewed 1262 times ]

PostPosted: Jan Wed 08, 2020 1:23 am 

Thanks again everyone. I really look forward to hearing from fellow radio folk. I can see how the strong contrast can be a little too much. Looking at the other samples images, thanks Russie, there are quite a few different looks and I kind of like the lighter tone. I dunno.... The good news is, because this is lacquer over shellac, I can easily remove and tone down the dark chocolate brown and go for a little lighter look, maybe have a little more grain show through. I'll give it some time as see how I feel about it. I'm working on a Philco 18H right now, and then a pretty little Stewart lowboy 102-A with a separate 103 SW chassis. After that maybe I'll put rework the Spartan.
RT

PostPosted: Jan Wed 08, 2020 1:49 am 

CRTag55 wrote:
Thanks again everyone. I really look forward to hearing from fellow radio folk. I can see how the strong contrast can be a little too much. ............... After that maybe I'll put rework the Spartan.
RT

I think what's important is how "you" like it. My opinion is worth what ya paid .... or maybe less :) If you are happy with it, put it out on display and be proud. The work is great!

PostPosted: Jan Thu 09, 2020 5:54 am 

Considering that this radio would have been junked by most other restorers, I think he did a wonderful job saving it and making it pretty and complete again. If I was fixing up a 1920s house I'd be proud to have one like this in the living room, custom doors only add to its appeal.