Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Thu 02, 2020 10:16 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Solovox L amp/speaker unit found - what to do?
PostPosted: Nov Mon 04, 2013 4:09 am 

Hi all,

I managed to scoop up a 13-tube cabinet with speaker for free, but it has no keyboard unit. There are no tuned coils on my unit, so they must all be on the keyboard, which I had hoped would be simply a bank of switches. Might anyone have a keyboard unit lying around for sale?

If I don't have any luck finding a keyboard, I guess I'll just add a jack to use it for an amplifier until I manage to find a keyboard unit. Perhaps if I could find the schematic for the model L, I'd be able to find out how to turn it into an amp without modifying beyond the point where I could get it back to the way it was it or cannibalizing it. I could sell off the six 6SN7GT tubes and gut out all the mica caps, resistors, octal sockets and terminal strips. But I'm not going to.

I play both piano and organ, so my interest has been piqued. I could buy one on Ebay right now for $200, but that's a lot of dough, not counting shipping.

Anyone got a lead to a keyboard or a schematic? Nostalgia Air only covers the model J, which is a breed apart...

Post subject: Re: Solovox L amp/speaker unit found - what to do?
PostPosted: Nov Mon 04, 2013 10:15 pm 

My Solovox article includes the technical manual for model L, including schematic, parts list, layout diagram, etc.

http://antiqueradio.org/HammondSolovoxKeyboard.htm

If you're patient, you might find a keyboard. Some years ago, I sold a naked tone cabinet to a guy who had nothing but a keyboard. If you are searching on craigslist or eBay, be creative, since some people who own the keyboard unit may not know exactly what it is.

You could also post a WTB ("want to buy") ad in the Classified section of this forum. Note that keyboards for the various Solovox models may not be interchangeable. (I haven't compared them in detail, but I wouldn't make that assumption without doing some research.)

Regards,

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html

PostPosted: Feb Mon 17, 2020 4:28 am 

I just happened to come across some articles in Sylvania News that cover servicing the Hammond Solovox. They are in the July 1942 and October 1942 issues. They were written by a Mr. G. A. Hodson of Hammond Instrument Co. They can be found on AmericanRadioHistory.com:
https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Ar ... s-1942.pdf

PostPosted: Feb Mon 17, 2020 3:24 pm 

Wow, I'm surprised I got an email telling me there was a reply to this thread! Just a week after I made my original post in 2013, I managed to snag a Solovox "K" complete with keyboard. And I got it to work after re-soldering a wire on the harness plug. The capacitors in the keyboard need replacing, 'cause it's out of tune. And the normal recapping needs to be done as well. Maybe when I retire I'll get the chance to do the recap...

The chassis for the Solovox "L" was donated at one of the ARCI swap meets some time ago. I never had the heart to part out anything with tubes in it...

PostPosted: Feb Tue 25, 2020 5:17 pm 

I have a Solovox and keyboard stuck on one of may Hammond 100 organs.

The cabinets often get separated from the keyboards and pop up.
Perhaps it is difficult to unscrew from them the organ after the
estate sale, and nobody knows anything about the big cable.

Do keep it. It makes the weirdest sound ever. Doubt if a snth could duplicate it.

And like as a Hammond tone wheel organ, it never is in, or out of in tune.

Steve Dow
ve7aso@rac.ca