Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Sun 05, 2020 4:55 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Silvertone 2015 Tube Radio
PostPosted: Mar Sun 22, 2020 4:13 pm 

I recapped this Silvertone 2015 tube radio and replaced out of tolerance resistors. I replaced the line cord with a new polarized cord and the radio played loud and clear. I plugged it in today and after the tubes warmed up all i get is a loud hum and squealing from the speaker. All tubes checked out ok, went over all solder joints, even tried a different 12sq7 tube just for fun but no change. what am i missing all coils check good i dont know where to look any help?

Post subject: Re: Silvertone 2015 Tube Radio
PostPosted: Mar Sun 22, 2020 7:42 pm 

Something came loose or failed. A tube could have shorted, etc.

PostPosted: Mar Sun 22, 2020 9:04 pm 

Does the volume control setting change the hum or squealing? If it does change something, is it just the volume level or do the noises stop and start at different control settings?

Jay

PostPosted: Mar Sun 22, 2020 9:06 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
Did it work before you started the overhaul?

Do you have a schematic that you can post for us?

Nevermind ::

Attachment:
silvertone_2014_2015_2016_radio_sm.pdf_1.png
silvertone_2014_2015_2016_radio_sm.pdf_1.png [ 39.85 KiB | Viewed 887 times ]

PostPosted: Mar Sun 22, 2020 9:18 pm 

When the volume control is turned up the hum and squealing gets worse real bad. And I have tested all the tubes twice and put new tubes in and the same noises. I have never had this problem that’s why I’m stumped. I even thought maybe bad electrolytic’s but they are this year caps.

PostPosted: Mar Sun 22, 2020 9:21 pm 

Marko582 wrote:
When the volume control is turned up the hum and squealing gets worse real bad. And I have tested all the tubes twice and put new tubes in and the same noises. I have never had this problem that’s why I’m stumped. I even thought maybe bad electrolytic’s but they are this year caps.

Did it work prior to repairs?

PostPosted: Mar Sun 22, 2020 9:57 pm 

No it was loud filter cap hum. It had not seen any work that I can tell.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 24, 2020 2:35 pm 

John I answered your question about the radio do you or anyone who reads these posts know what could be the problem?

PostPosted: Mar Tue 24, 2020 3:06 pm 

Marko582 wrote:
John I answered your question about the radio do you or anyone who reads these posts know what could be the problem?

Do you have a scope or signal generator?

PostPosted: Mar Tue 24, 2020 5:23 pm 

i have the white and chocolate sets of this radio.

i know they are pretty straight forward sets. at this point, i would bounce my work against the schematic, then go backwards and bounce the schematic against my work.

do this three times.

print out the schematic and use a highlighter on all your radio vs. schematic traces.

check for solder blobs or bare leads touching. check for solder drips that may ground out a contact to chassis.

also, if you have not already, drop in a known set of ALL good tubes and see what happens.

steve

PostPosted: Mar Tue 24, 2020 7:05 pm 

Dutch, I already thought of what you said about putting a known good or new set of tubes. I already ordered a complete set of tubes for the radio 2 days ago. I would like to strip the whole chassis bare and then install new tube sockets wires and parts but I know that’s risky as hell. If it worked after that radio would be a keeper for sure!

PostPosted: Mar Tue 24, 2020 8:42 pm 

the radio is not at that point. try the new set of tubes and in the meantime, bounce all work as described above.

steve

PostPosted: Mar Wed 25, 2020 9:50 am 

I would suggest checking each IF coil for continuity, each resistor to validate none have opened or shorted, and the same with each capacitor, both Electrolytic and non polarized. My guess is a component failure, since the set worked after you recapped and changed resistors, and then quit. Just because a component is new, doesn't mean it can't fail.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 25, 2020 3:04 pm 

Marko582 wrote:

I made boo boo and shorted a floating ground dial light to the chassis and it damaged the 12SK7 V3 Tube and it did the same as yours. Weird noises hum and squealing. Tapping the tube made it do strange stuff. It tested good on the tube checker, but when I replaced it all was well. Mine was a different radio. Just FYI as a bad tube can test good but cause those symptoms.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 25, 2020 3:14 pm 

Marko582 wrote:
I recapped this Silvertone 2015 tube radio and replaced out of tolerance resistors. I replaced the line cord with a new polarized cord and the radio played loud and clear.

I think this above ^^^ is a condition to remember before anyone suggests any servicing radical steps. The radio played well after the recap.

Quote:
I plugged it in today and after the tubes warmed up all i get is a loud hum and squealing from the speaker.

What causes a radio to stop working while it sits unused for one night?

PostPosted: Mar Thu 26, 2020 1:18 am 

fifties wrote:
I would suggest checking each IF coil for continuity, each resistor to validate none have opened or shorted, and the same with each capacitor, both Electrolytic and non polarized. My guess is a component failure, since the set worked after you recapped and changed resistors, and then quit. Just because a component is new, doesn't mean it can't fail.

In addition to this above, do some poking around unplugged, with a wood dowel to see if any wires are touching or if tie strips or tube socket terminals are touching anything else.

I have had this problem with another machine that ran fine as long as it was warm, but wouldn't run if it was cold. The problem was a wire that was soooooo close to ground that when it cooled it would move and touch ground.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 26, 2020 1:03 pm 

Well the new tubes came and replaced all the tubes in the radio and the problem is still there. I am going to do as Steve suggested and go over the schematic and compare it with the drawing I come up with. I have restored amps and radios in the past and never had this happen. I will post the results as I get them. Thanks for the suggestions.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 26, 2020 2:05 pm 

Marko582 wrote:
Well the new tubes came and replaced all the tubes in the radio and the problem is still there. I am going to do as Steve suggested and go over the schematic and compare it with the drawing I come up with. I have restored amps and radios in the past and never had this happen. I will post the results as I get them. Thanks for the suggestions.

This next suggestion is the sort of desperate action that isn't really trouble shooting, but it may find an "oops" ..... take out all the tubes and give the chassis a really good shake in all directions, up down, upside down, sideways up etc.... If you have compressed air, blow out tube sockets and tuning cap gangs top and bottom. This is just in case something is loose and shorting. It worked until it was turn off, so this is odd. And do the stick poking .... gently !

PostPosted: Mar Fri 27, 2020 2:11 am 

who is the member who suggests to take the wooden handle of a hammer and lightly bang on the chassis to remove any restoration soot ?

steve

PostPosted: Apr Sun 05, 2020 5:38 pm 

I haven’t responded because I have been under the weather. Today I decided to put the original tubes back in the radio and I now get low volume with the control up all the way. When I turn it down all the way I get low pitch hum boat motor sound and the dial flickers with the sound?? I get one station with full volume it’s just low. New tubes don’t make any difference.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 23 posts ]  Moderators: Marcc, Norm Leal Go to page 1, 2  Next