Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Thu 09, 2020 10:04 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Can anyone explain the sudden popularity of 1980’s tvs?
PostPosted: Apr Sun 05, 2020 3:19 pm 

I was wondering what is fueling the sudden popularity and sky high prices of 1980’s tabletop television sets on eBay? It’s not just one or two sets selling Occasionally. Search completed listings and These things are typically bringing $299 and up. I’ve seen some go for $600 which just amazes me.

In the past I’ve seen threads here where some members have complained about someone asking $500 or more for a dualette and then it sells. There was even a General Electric forecaster years back,a very rare set,someone had for $1,200 and it sold. I could understand that because those sets had fantastic designs and 60 years later not many are left,but I don’t understand why suddenly people are paying similar prices for bland looking 80’s TVs? What is the attraction? Heck,not long ago thrift stores wouldn’t even take crt TVs because they wouldn’t sell!

I was wondering if any folks here have noticed this trend now and had opinions on it and why suddenly there’s such a huge interest.

Attachments:
3587B73F-7641-4049-9EBE-1299818E8E8D.jpeg
3587B73F-7641-4049-9EBE-1299818E8E8D.jpeg [ 582.79 KiB | Viewed 1923 times ]
21F1BF6D-12C3-4938-B0C4-A3E6E86098F4.jpeg
21F1BF6D-12C3-4938-B0C4-A3E6E86098F4.jpeg [ 284.09 KiB | Viewed 1923 times ]
C1C05370-7AE4-4C96-92E4-EF27AF9E0AD6.jpeg
C1C05370-7AE4-4C96-92E4-EF27AF9E0AD6.jpeg [ 539.78 KiB | Viewed 1922 times ]

Last edited by Hi-Fi in Fiberglass on Apr Sun 05, 2020 10:15 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Can anyone explain the suddenly popularity of 1980’s tvs
PostPosted: Apr Sun 05, 2020 3:29 pm 

like the "rare" flat screen tubes? Over supply and creating a false demand to drive prices up

PostPosted: Apr Sun 05, 2020 3:30 pm 

I haven't looked on ebay so I wouldn't of known, but maybe they are after the CRTs for use in "vintage" arcade games. The CRTs haven't been made in at least a decade.

PostPosted: Apr Sun 05, 2020 3:39 pm 

Notimetolooz wrote:
I haven't looked on ebay so I wouldn't of known, but maybe they are after the CRTs for use in "vintage" arcade games. The CRTs haven't been made in at least a decade.

with over the air HD, the tube is the only value in these for sure, good call

PostPosted: Apr Sun 05, 2020 3:39 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
The people who grew up with those TV's are now at an age and place in their life/career where they can afford to buy the nostalgia for their generation.

PostPosted: Apr Sun 05, 2020 3:41 pm 

Nothing magical about these sets that I can see. Except for the prices they bring.

And who ever would have thought the words “motel set” would be used as a selling point. Might as well just say “high hour” set.

PostPosted: Apr Sun 05, 2020 4:22 pm 

I have been told by several people that those who collect the earliest generations of video games want a CRT type TV of the same vintage as their game to play it on.

John's point about people collecting the things from the era they grew up in is also valid. That has often been the case in the car collecting community, someone buys what they admired back then but maybe couldn't afford at the time.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Apr Sun 05, 2020 5:03 pm 

Mr. Detrola wrote:
I have been told by several people that those who collect the earliest generations of video games want a CRT type TV of the same vintage as their game to play it on.

John's point about people collecting the things from the era they grew up in is also valid. That has often been the case in the car collecting community, someone buys what they admired back then but maybe couldn't afford at the time.

That makes sense I suppose. But if something has no style,it has no style,but then,that too is subjective.I’m sure somebody thinks Yugo’s are attractive too. Lol.

Jay Leno said on an episode of Jay Leno’s garage that the segment of the collector car market that’s really growing these days is the late 70’s and 1980’s vehicles,with the 80’s ones rising the most in value. He said 50’s cars are stagnate right now. The interest is changing with the demographic.

I guess these 80’s guys must be a lot more free with their money than us “old guys” who like the stuff from the 50’s and 60’s,because I have seen posts here where members loudly expressed their opinions that a dualette or forecaster is only worth $150 or so and anyone spending more is a “hipster” or crazy. Lol. So I’m sure the prices these 80’s sets are bringing will seem even more ludicrous and absurd to them.

On Shango066’s YouTube channel he got an old dualette he found going again. It was in rough shape and he said something like “even in this condition it’s worth hundreds,these are sought after by collectors because of their atomic eames esquivel era styling”. Lol. His videos are always fun to watch. He has a good sense of humor and always keeps posting neat vintage things he finds.

Last edited by Hi-Fi in Fiberglass on Apr Sun 05, 2020 10:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Apr Sun 05, 2020 5:19 pm 

Mr. Detrola wrote:

You’re probably right. I didn’t even think of the video game angle. Guess they want to play 8 bit Nintendo the way they did back then. I can see that. Then when they are done they can kick back with some New York seltzer,unstrap their Velcro reeboks and watch “Family Ties” or “Max Headroom” in a room filled with Patrick nagel prints,lol!

I guess that means we’ll be seeing a “cafe 80’s” chain of Reagan era nostalgic shops opening up soon like in Back to the Future 2.

Attachments:
4784CE70-E394-419B-8BB4-BB8FE22E2956.jpeg
4784CE70-E394-419B-8BB4-BB8FE22E2956.jpeg [ 290.73 KiB | Viewed 1904 times ]

Post subject: Re: Can anyone explain the sudden popularity of 1980’s tvs?
PostPosted: Apr Tue 07, 2020 10:49 am 

I definitely think it's the Gamers driving up the prices.
Young people who want to experience Atari or even the first gen X Box the way it was originally intended, and older people who are nostalgic for their old games.

I'm hanging on to an older Sony PVM2530 Monitor just in case I need a CRT for some reason, I paid $25 for it some years ago, now I see them selling on eBay for $400-$700

PostPosted: Apr Tue 07, 2020 2:56 pm 

I have a friend who's been dealing with vintage TV's for many decades. His most popular items are '80's CRT sets that he often still finds curbside. Buyers come into to his place and pass right by the cathedral/tombstone radios, consoles, and '40's TV's, and go for the stuff that we old time collectors see as junk. As mentioned already, the people that were young in that era are now established in their lives, often with a little extra spending cash, and getting nostalgic.
I still don't get it though. My era as a kid was the '70's and I have almost zero desire to acquire anything from that time. Planned obsolesce cheap junk. Quality and beauty is what attracts me with collecting and it will always be the '30's and '40's, even though I was born 20-30 years later.

PostPosted: Apr Tue 07, 2020 3:01 pm 

There is an element of input lag (or so I'm told) on modern TVs that CRTs don't have. Nintendo's Duck Hunt was one of the earlier games that wasn't suited to work on the newer LCD's when they first appeared on the scene. Video gamers have some serious game collections so having that period era set they first played on wouldn't be out of the ordinary.

https://hackaday.com/2016/08/30/trickin ... tv-as-crt/

https://www.howtogeek.com/341543/why-do ... odern-tvs/

Ken

PostPosted: Apr Tue 07, 2020 4:39 pm 

decojoe67 wrote:
I have a friend who's been dealing with vintage TV's for many decades. His most popular items are '80's CRT sets that he often still finds curbside. Buyers come into to his place and pass right by the cathedral/tombstone radios, consoles, and '40's TV's, and go for the stuff that we old time collectors see as junk. As mentioned already, the people that were young in that era are now established in their lives, often with a little extra spending cash, and getting nostalgic.
I still don't get it though. My era as a kid was the '70's and I have almost zero desire to acquire anything from that time. Planned obsolesce cheap junk. Quality and beauty is what attracts me with collecting and it will always be the '30's and '40's, even though I was born 20-30 years later.

American TVs for most of the 70s were not planned obsolescence by a long shot. Look at Zenith they had hand wired hybrid sets until 1975, large screen color table sets were in metal cabinets (not plastic) from the 50s to the early 80s, their SS from their intro in 73 to their phase out in 78-79 were handwired main chassis with the circuits divided up into postcard sized PCB modules that let you troubleshoot to component level or board level by installing a new board and trading the old board into a rebuilder for a faster repair (and to aid service techs that couldn't figure out circuit level SS diagnostics). I've had 6 of those modular SS Zeniths in the past 10 years and every one of them worked as found and most had never been serviced (!). It's hard to find a tube color TV still about as good as new 40 years of hard service into its life. Many of the consoles especially later in the decade were made of cheap fake wood but so was most furniture made by that point.
Motorola, RCA and Sylvania fielded similar quality chassis and cabinets back then...

If all you like is quality wood cabinets that was basically phased out circa 1972-75, but if like me you can appreciate a well made/engineered chassis those persisted longer.

Planned obsolescence was primarily an import set game back in the 70s. It was the 80s where our sets also became cheap inside and out (though they tried to compensate with features and picture quality improvements).

PostPosted: Apr Tue 07, 2020 6:36 pm 

Some of these are a scam. It's a guy with one account buying high-priced items from himself with another account to drive up his ratings. They use a calculation to figure out when the auction fees are worth it. Later they'll either use those accounts for themselves or sell them to unscrupulous people.

These are the category of product that it's easy to do fairly high-value purchases without attracting much scrutiny, especially as there is likely some interest from gamers (but not $300 for a BPC set).

PostPosted: Apr Tue 07, 2020 8:18 pm 

Just think about it: 1980's TV's are... nearly 40 years old and now qualify for "vintage" (if not antiques yet) and 90% of these "value-less" sets were trashed long ago. When I was working for a TV repair company in the late 90ies we threw hundreds of these TV's in the dumpster. Clean well preserved ones in good working condition and bright CRT's are not so common today, thus prices are slowly climbing. Nothing strange about this. Remember when Zenith "portholes" or Philco Predicta's at 50$ found no takers ? Then...

PostPosted: Apr Tue 07, 2020 10:43 pm 

Cabinet materials tended to reflect cost constraints or desired price points of TVs. In the '70s I watched as nearly the same table model TV sets transitioned among plastic, metal and particle-board cabinets, depending on what was least expensive to build. TV sets by that time had long since become commodity items, built to a price.

When I was at North American Philips Consumer Electronics (which had acquired Magnavox, Philco and Sylvania brands, and engineers and moved them to Knoxville TN) from 1981-85, the real wood console cabinet production came to an end. They had been made not very far away in the furniture-building regions of Tennessee and North Carolina, and they were really nice, but too expensive and out of style.

PostPosted: Apr Wed 08, 2020 4:07 am 

were those asking prices or actual sold prices?

i think the fad of the moment is whatever one can find at the estate sales. 1980s items would be coming from people in their late 60s early 70s, like my parents, who set up their household in the late 1970s, and are now downsizing to sell the house to move to something like a townhouse or condo to rid themselves of home maintence.

also as mentioned the video gamers. those guns like used with nintendos duck hunt only work with crt tvs. they dont work with a flatscreen.

PostPosted: Apr Wed 08, 2020 4:49 am 

40 years old is old... most of us older folks dont think of it that way but it is. And many SS TVs worked well and often still do, as has been mentioned. Add in gamers and arcade folks. Theres a reason. I'll take the picture my 1982 RCA puts out any day and that was ran hard for over a decade.

Some people squirm about spending $10, but for someone that has the money to spend they buy what they want.

just wait until the 80's large consoles catch on and we will all wish we had stored a bunch of them. Times and collecting always changes.

PostPosted: Apr Wed 08, 2020 9:05 pm 

I have my grams ca. 1974 production RCA XL 100? I think is the model, 19 inch set. Have not had it on in years. One of the color modules went bad decades ago and I replaced that as it was a plug in part. Have no idea if it still works but now you got me thinking. Vintage classic and all that! Don't know if I could even remember any TV stuff to work on it like I used to do with TVs.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 09, 2020 1:16 am 

First the E-bay listings are BS. I can go to my dump that covers 3 towns pop abt 6,000 & pick up
a truck load every week. If I put an ad for "free CRT TV pick up" I would get calls all day.
Demand ( not at those prices ) comes down to gaming, nostalgia, stupidity & a little
bit of hobbyist / collector.

That being said the first few generations ( apx 1970-1980) of solid state 25" TV's were the best ever
built. Longest lasting, best physically built, easiest to fix, understandable circuits & most
parts availability. I spent 40 yrs in the biz & these TV's are the ones I enjoyed most & miss dearly.

73 Zeno
Stay well
LFOD !

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 33 posts ]  Moderators: 7jp4-guy, Mr. Detrola Go to page 1, 2  Next