Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jan Thu 20, 2022 12:57 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: How do I lube a RCA VICTOR 45-J-2 motor
PostPosted: Apr Fri 02, 2021 7:23 pm 

Sorry for such a basic question, but I have an RCA VICTOR 45-J-2 record player. I am going to disassemble, clean, and lube the unit. I have all the rubber parts needed. I have never done anything like this before. I see some clips on youtube about taking the motor apart, but nothing on how I should clean and lube it. They just say 'clean and lube it'. I suspect that is because most folks going through stuff like this know how as it is the way one does it for all motors like this....but I have never done a motor, at all. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: How do I lube a RCA VICTOR 45-J-2 motor
PostPosted: Apr Fri 02, 2021 9:35 pm 

The motor separates into 3 pieces. These pieces are held together by two screws and nuts. Place the motor with the capstan facing up, the coil toward you, and take a picture for reference.

Remove the two screws and nuts securing the silver parts of the motor and pull the parts apart. The rotor will come out with the top half. Use non chlorinated brake cleaner if you get it, I occasionally use regular contact cleaner.

Spray the inside of the bottom bearing down throughly and liberally. Let dry. Do the the same for top bearing and capstan. Fill bottom bearing with turbine oil, and very carefully oil the top bearing, making sure that you don't get oil on the capstan itself.

Reassemble and spin rotor. Spindown should be about 2 seconds

PostPosted: Apr Sat 03, 2021 12:33 am 

Chris Cuff servicing the (double pole) motor in an RCA RP198

Watch 9:17 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpDpJ3kP318

Chris sadly passed away recently - - - check-out his other Videos if you are interested in the world of servicing changers. His YouTube channel is a goldmine of information.

Should you require it, your service manual is attached below.

Greg.

Attachments:
SAMS 144-7.pdf [5.33 MiB]
Downloaded 111 times

PostPosted: Apr Sat 10, 2021 3:42 pm 

Thank you both for your thoughtful replies. This is exactly what I was looking for!

PostPosted: Apr Sun 25, 2021 1:29 am 

Sorry to hear about Chris, his videos really helped me out and I'm sure they've done that for others too. I had a question on the motor in my 45EY2, I lubed it with electric motor oil and for a while it worked fine, but then it started being really slow on startup. It eventually gets up to speed but it takes 3-4 minutes. I've read these little motors weren't great to begin with. Do some of them just do that or is there something wrong?

PostPosted: Apr Sun 25, 2021 1:53 am 

Al1630 wrote:
I had a question on the motor in my 45EY2, I lubed it with electric motor oil and for a while it worked fine, but then it started being really slow on startup.

It eventually gets up to speed but it takes 3-4 minutes. I've read these little motors weren't great to begin with. Do some of them just do that or is there something wrong?

Recommend soaking the bearing housings in solvent to
dissolve/remove the very old oil in the reservoirs.
Then re-lube with turbine oil.

If this is not done, the old oil, which may be viscous with age,
will heat up when motor runs, and may wick out onto
rotor shaft and bearing base.
When the motor cools, the old oil will harden and then
impede operation.
Recommend Zoom Spout turbine oil for these, and
I have always had good results.

Hotwax