Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Sat 18, 2021 7:36 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Reisstor bands
PostPosted: May Tue 25, 2021 10:23 am 

Hi there,
Can someone tell me what the bands in this resistor are? I see red, black, gold but I am not sure. It measures 24.7 Ohms and if my vision is correct, that reading is off.

Attachments:
DSC04185.JPG
DSC04185.JPG [ 558.86 KiB | Viewed 695 times ]
DSC04185.JPG
DSC04185.JPG [ 558.86 KiB | Viewed 695 times ]

Post subject: Re: Reisstor bands
PostPosted: May Tue 25, 2021 11:40 am 

Hard to see in picture from far away. But looks like red red black gold or 22 ohm 5%.

PostPosted: May Tue 25, 2021 11:45 am 

Definitely need a better close up picture in good natural light.

PostPosted: May Tue 25, 2021 12:15 pm 

That's because I could not find the proper setting in my camera.
I am attaching two good pics and a resistors color table in which the bottom line shows red-black-gold.
I thought that if that was red-black-gold, the value should be 20 Ohms but according to the table the gold means a multiplier of 0.1 which would mean the 20 becomes 2.0. Any clarification?
However, even if it were 20 with a 5% leeway, the measured value of 24.7 should indicate the resistor is gone, correct? It is connected by the way to a zener diode in a transfromer/stepdown of 220VAC/9VDC.

Attachments:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 49.17 KiB | Viewed 691 times ]
Capture1.JPG
Capture1.JPG [ 86.14 KiB | Viewed 691 times ]
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG [ 194.21 KiB | Viewed 691 times ]

PostPosted: May Tue 25, 2021 12:20 pm 

Hi Scott,
So you are in peaceful Montvale and most likely we crossed paths in some ham fest when I lived in NJ.

PostPosted: May Tue 25, 2021 12:43 pm 

Yes, Red Red Black Gold: 22 ohms, 5%

Yes, 11% off but probably still works.

PostPosted: May Tue 25, 2021 1:36 pm 

If you want to measure a low value resistor like this accurately you have to subtract the lead resistance when using a DMM. With VOMs and VTVMs this is taken care of when you zero the meter out, but most DMMs don't have the means to do this.

If you have a DMM, short the probes together and note the reading. You will probably get a number around 0.7 ohms. Some will be a little higher, some a little less. That number is to be subtracted from whatever it reads when you measure the resistor. So your 24.7 ohm resistor is probably more like 24 ohms. 24/22 = 9% over marked value. The gold band means 5% tolerance, so technically it is out of spec but not so far out that it should cause the circuit you describe to malfunction. Resistor values only hold when measured at a specific temperature, nominally 25 degrees C (77 degrees F) so if the temperature was different--say you just unsoldered it and it was still considerably hotter than room temperature when you measured it--then it could read higher.

If the resistor is in series with a Zener diode in a power supply circuit of some kind, a couple more ohms might actually be advantageous, since that would tend to lower the current through the diode, helping it to last longer.

Thomas A. Edison

PostPosted: May Tue 25, 2021 5:40 pm 

Thanks, I will try to measure it with two more meters but how does the multiplier works because if we multiply 20 by 0.1 for gold we get 2.0 Ohms.
On a related issue, I have to replace two axial electrolytics ( which was the reason I got curious about the resistor), one is 470/10, the other 2000/18 but I can not find axials here so I have to go with radials. That poses a problem because the large cap goes sideways on the back of the board and measures an inch in length which means that I can not use a radial because its leads do not spread that much unless they are long enough. So, if I solder the cut-off leads of the old cap to one or maybe both leads of the new, radial, cap, will the capacitance be affected significantly?

PostPosted: May Tue 25, 2021 5:45 pm 

radioer wrote:
Thanks, I will try to measure it with two more meters but how does the multiplier works because if we multiply 20 by 0.1 for gold we get 2.0 Ohms.

Gold is the tolerance. Black is the multiplier.

PostPosted: May Tue 25, 2021 5:52 pm 

radioer wrote:

Colors are Red, Red, Black, Gold. Black is multiplier (x 10^0), gold is tolerance (5%). So 22 x 1, 5%, 22 ohms.

As said, short the meter leads to see what the DMM reads and subtract that from the actual reading.

radioer wrote:
On a related issue, I have to replace two axial electrolytics ( which was the reason I got curious about the resistor), one is 470/10, the other 2000/18 but I can not find axials here so I have to go with radials. That poses a problem because the large cap goes sideways on the back of the board and measures an inch in length which means that I can not use a radial because its leads do not spread that much unless they are long enough. So, if I solder the cut-off leads of the old cap to one or maybe both leads of the new, radial, cap, will the capacitance be affected significantly?

No, lead capacitance only matters when you get down to picofarads.