Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Fri 03, 2021 4:44 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Preserving a decal during veneer stripping?
PostPosted: Jun Fri 04, 2021 6:23 pm 

I'm about to start in on my next project: an RCA VICTOR T-60. I'm going to need to strip the veneer, but there's one particular decal that I find interesting and historically significant for this 1939 radio (see attached): "DESIGNED FOR TELEVISION ATTACHMENT". However, I don't see a replacement on Radio Daze.

Attachment:
20210603_200635.jpg
20210603_200635.jpg [ 1.05 MiB | Viewed 1531 times ]

I saw on another thread that Alan Voorhees mentioned preserving such a decal, but did not go into detail. Can I simply mask the decal with blue painter's tape? Is the decal on top of the original finish and therefore vulnerable to masking tapes? Any other ideas about how best to preserve this original decal?

Post subject: Re: Preserving a decal during veneer stripping?
PostPosted: Jun Fri 04, 2021 7:05 pm 

The same decal was used on several different RCA models. RadioDaze has them, however not as a separate decal. You have to buy a sheet with other items included. Try this:

https://www.radiodaze.com/rca-2-sets-decals-dcl-rc-t63/

PostPosted: Jun Fri 04, 2021 7:46 pm 

Thank you, Greg. I don't know how I missed that.

Now, knowing that I CAN replace it, do any of the experienced restorers here have strong opinions that preserving an original decal like this is preferable to replacing it?

PostPosted: Jun Sat 05, 2021 1:53 am 

Probably more trouble than it's worth. I suppose you could mask it off, strip around it, and then try and blend the old finish with the new...but the color is likely to be off, so you'll be trying to match finish color, sheen, etc. If a replacement exists, I'd just strip the cabinet, refinish, replace.

Peter

PostPosted: Jun Sat 05, 2021 2:07 am 

Thanks Peter. I love problems with straightforward solutions

I'll start a new thread for my next question: restoring vs replacing dial glass.

PostPosted: Jun Sat 05, 2021 9:37 am 
Site Admin

I preserved a decal by stripping the finish fairly close to the decal snd then using sandpaper to feather the finish right up to the edge of the decal. I then did my normal shellac/stain/finish procedure for the cabinet and went over the decal at the same time. Absolutely invisible repair, but a bit tedious.

PostPosted: Jun Sat 05, 2021 10:26 am 

Thanks Alan. Did you mask the decal? And was the extrs effort worth it? Did you have the option of using a replacement decal?

PostPosted: Jun Sat 05, 2021 2:00 pm 
Site Admin

I didn't mask anything. I ysed stripper up to about a half inch from the decal. I then lightly sanded with 120 grit paper, followed by 240 grit, and then 400 grit. The sanding was very light, just to feather out the finish between the decal area and the stripped area.

It was a Philco decal, so probably could have found a repro one, but keeping what was already there was quicker.

PostPosted: Jun Sat 05, 2021 4:43 pm 

Thanks for the details, Alan. Since this is my first cabinet job, I should probably keep things simple and just replace the decal and the dial glass (being discussed in another thread). But I have to confess that I like the challenge of retaining these original parts if possible. Worst case: if I screw up, I can always fall back to the replacement parts.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 06, 2021 7:58 am 

Alan Voorhees wrote:
I preserved a decal by stripping the finish fairly close to the decal snd then using sandpaper to feather the finish right up to the edge of the decal. I then did my normal shellac/stain/finish procedure for the cabinet and went over the decal at the same time. Absolutely invisible repair, but a bit tedious.

I have a similar method, I strip to about the distance away from the decals, then go back with an artist's brush and apply more stripper to within 1/16''-1/8'' of the decal, scraping the remaining finish away with a razor blade. You could also switch to acetone, rather then paint stripper near the decal, as it it a little more forgiving in that it will soften the lacquer rather then lifting it right off.
In answer to the original poster's question 99% of the time the original decals were clear coated over with lacquer. However on some 1938-39 model Canadian G.E, and RCA sets, the ones with the curved decals around the controls, they did not for some reason, and they are almost always rubbed off in places.
Regards
Arran

PostPosted: Jun Tue 08, 2021 1:58 pm 

Thanks Arran, and also for your reply to my other thread about dial glass.

I had an epiphany last night and am re-prioritizing my queue: I'm putting the T-60 on the shelf for a bit and switching to my Heathkit HW-16 and VFO. I've been mulling over restoring & selling them, but really didn't want to deal with ePay and shipping and fees...but it occurred to me that there's a big hamfest coming up in NH in October so if I clean it up now, I can just drive up there and sell it directly, hassle free (mostly). Off to find HW-16 threads!

PostPosted: Jun Fri 11, 2021 3:56 am 

bfrederi wrote:
Thanks Arran, and also for your reply to my other thread about dial glass.

I had an epiphany last night and am re-prioritizing my queue: I'm putting the T-60 on the shelf for a bit and switching to my Heathkit HW-16 and VFO. I've been mulling over restoring & selling them, but really didn't want to deal with ePay and shipping and fees...but it occurred to me that there's a big hamfest coming up in NH in October so if I clean it up now, I can just drive up there and sell it directly, hassle free (mostly). Off to find HW-16 threads!

That's probably the best way to sell old Ham gear, then whomever is thinking of buying can inspect it, then it's cash and carry, even unrestored, fleabay is just not worth the hassle. Though summer is probably the best time for refinishing cabinets if you can squeeze it in. I was just thinking that those talking about connecting a blue tooth or phone to a radio should look for a set like yours, it has a double set of jacks in the back, one for the phono, another for a TV, no butchery needed.
Regards
Arran

PostPosted: Jun Sat 12, 2021 1:41 am 

Yes! When I looked at the DESIGNED FOR TELEVISION wiring I had the same thought: the perfect solution for connecting today's technology to yesterday's radios (without paying tomorrow's prices!). :)

I suspect I will revive this thread before too long. Although the HW-16 is clean on the outside and has low mileage, I opened it up this week and discovered that while it was on extended loan to friend, he stored it where a mouse got into it. No gnawed wires or components, thankfully, but several spots of mouse urine corrosion. I also discovered that my newly-restored Triplett tube tester doesn't have test data available for most of the HW-16 tubes, and doesn't even have a socket that will handle the Compactron final. Senior ARF contributor Fred Scoles is giving me lots of good info about how to upgrade and get the most out of my Triplett, but as far as the HW-16 goes, I think I'm just going to clean it up and sell it as is and let somebody else restore it. Too much work with too little enjoyment, and I'm not emotionally attached to the HW-16 like I am to some of my older equipment. So I think I'll be back to the T-60 before August.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 17, 2021 4:33 pm 

You can refinish over decals/photofinish. This entire radio less legs and top, is a decal. You just have to be very careful with sanding - no stripper - unless he/she helps :evil:

Attachment:
IMG00156-20110120-1538 (Medium).jpg
IMG00156-20110120-1538 (Medium).jpg [ 111.93 KiB | Viewed 1083 times ]

RCA R-78 Bi-Acoustic from 1932 - Very loud, uses an 82 rectifier - "His Masters Voice"