Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise


It is currently Nov Tue 30, 2021 12:33 am


All times are UTC [ DST ]





Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Recent glut of gonset communicators from civil defense?
PostPosted: Jun Fri 11, 2021 2:59 am 
Member

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 1530
Location: Auburn, AL
There seems to be a glut of gonset communicators on the auction site at the money. Is this just random happenstance, or did some government agency recently get rid of them? I’m a little surprised at the prices they’re asking, as I think I gave 50 (maybe 100??) for a really nice 2 meter rig and linear amp combo at Stone Mountain some years back, maybe 2010?

I saw one batch of nice “ordinary” communicators and other gonset gear come up from a collector in Nevada, but this civil defense stuff seems to be located in the north east. I imagine these were distributed through the country when new, though probably there would have been more of them where there were more people.

_________________
filling in the gaps in my education...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recent glut of gonset communicators from civil defense?
PostPosted: Jun Fri 11, 2021 3:52 am 
Member

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 3717
Location: Monterey California USA
Last year there were a bunch auctioned off from the hoard of Hal Guretzky, who ran Land-Air Communications in Queens, NY and had massive piles of everything. Maybe from there. A lot of the stuff auctioned off then quickly went to eBay. Civil Defense things are hot among collectors at the moment so there is interest in these yellow boxes.

I got several Communicators II-III at local hamfests for something like $ 15-25 in the 2000 era and that was all they were worth at the time. They certainly made a large number of variants - - some of the II's have quite a few crystal sockets, others just a few or one. Some II's have PTT, others don't.

I think these are being bought by people who are just using them as shelf queen decoration rather than restoring and getting them on the air, which is too bad. I have no one to talk to on 6M AM here on my pile of Communicators.

I guess it's important to remember that eBay is always the most expensive venue to find anything, and also that eastern prices are quite a bit higher than west coast levels.

_________________
WB6NVH
California Highway Patrol Radio
Bell System Mobile Telephone History
http://www.wb6nvh.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recent glut of gonset communicators from civil defense?
PostPosted: Jun Fri 11, 2021 6:30 pm 
Member

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 1530
Location: Auburn, AL
Send me one of your 6m communicators, and I’ll try to call you from Alabama :mrgreen:

_________________
filling in the gaps in my education...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recent glut of gonset communicators from civil defense?
PostPosted: Jun Fri 11, 2021 6:38 pm 
Member

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 1530
Location: Auburn, AL
I’m good with them being shelf queens if it keeps them out of the landfill for someone to potentially enjoy in the future.

_________________
filling in the gaps in my education...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recent glut of gonset communicators from civil defense?
PostPosted: Jun Sun 27, 2021 5:08 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul Fri 21, 2017 9:58 pm
Posts: 3064
Location: Erie, Pa.
anchorman wrote:
There seems to be a glut of gonset communicators on the auction site at the money. Is this just random happenstance, or did some government agency recently get rid of them? I’m a little surprised at the prices they’re asking, as I think I gave 50 (maybe 100??) for a really nice 2 meter rig and linear amp combo at Stone Mountain some years back, maybe 2010?

I saw one batch of nice “ordinary” communicators and other gonset gear come up from a collector in Nevada, but this civil defense stuff seems to be located in the north east. I imagine these were distributed through the country when new, though probably there would have been more of them where there were more people.


I think I bought all of them.

My shed is full.

Not to worry, none of them will be thrown away.

Two or three are functional, the rest are shelf queens.

_________________
"Invisible airwaves crackle with life
Bright antenna bristle with the energy"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recent glut of gonset communicators from civil defense?
PostPosted: Jun Sun 27, 2021 11:36 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: May Tue 05, 2009 2:30 am
Posts: 1124
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
They do make a pretty good looking curio to stick on the shelf, especially in CD livery.

_________________
Another day older and deeper in debt.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recent glut of gonset communicators from civil defense?
PostPosted: Jun Sun 27, 2021 4:51 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul Fri 21, 2017 9:58 pm
Posts: 3064
Location: Erie, Pa.
marko wrote:
They do make a pretty good looking curio to stick on the shelf, especially in CD livery.


I have a Gonset MK 4 and a Gonset HF rig.

Imho they are gorgeous.

_________________
"Invisible airwaves crackle with life
Bright antenna bristle with the energy"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recent glut of gonset communicators from civil defense?
PostPosted: Jun Sun 27, 2021 6:08 pm 
Member

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 1530
Location: Auburn, AL
I’ve got two gooney boxes, and they’re probably my favorite pieces of equipment to look at. Still have to go over them before firing them up, to see if they’re enjoyable to use also. One of these days!

_________________
filling in the gaps in my education...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recent glut of gonset communicators from civil defense?
PostPosted: Jun Sun 27, 2021 7:12 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov Sat 07, 2009 11:37 pm
Posts: 2949
Location: Sayreville, NJ 08872
Had several of these Communicators over the years and got rid of them all. All had noisy front-ends and they all drifted. I didn't want any shelf queens so personally didn't care what happened to them after they left my hands. In all, the only thing left from my 2 meter Communicator stash are two original 19 inch whips that came with the CD version and maybe some knobs.

_________________
Pete, WA2CWA - "A cluttered desk is a sign of genius"
https://www.manualman.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recent glut of gonset communicators from civil defense?
PostPosted: Jun Sun 27, 2021 10:53 pm 
Member

Joined: Mar Sun 14, 2010 2:51 am
Posts: 611
Location: Newport, Oregon, 97365 U.S.A.
I worked in a Seattle electronics surplus store and i recall a quantity of CD stuff showing up somewhere in 1977 - 1978. This possibly could have correlated with the end of HF AM at close of 1976, as the Navy got rid of the last of its AM equipment then, and also all the old 2 MHz boat radios were retired. The CD sets we got to sell were Gonsets, Sonar CD-2's and a couple Harvey Wells TBS-50. I think some of these sets had the CD triangle painted on the side. In storage i still have a yellow painted wooden box from this load of gear, i think the box has the CD logo on it also and maybe i should bring it back and offer it for some CD collector. The VHF AM Gonsets never in the least attracted me, but i thought the SONAR CD-6 ( 6 meters model ) was a very interesting good looking set. I have only seen one at a hamfest and that was at Seaside maybe 15 years ago, but at the time it seemed larger than i had remembered, and i concluded the (size + weight )/ fun quotient was probably not high enough for me. Now i would be tempted to buy one just to learn what's inside, then pass it on to some other collector. Have a look at the SONAR CD-6 or CD-2 and tell me that isn't an intriguing, proper looking radio. Come to think of it now, that yellow box i have is about the right size for a Gonset VHF radio.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recent glut of gonset communicators from civil defense?
PostPosted: Jun Mon 28, 2021 12:50 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov Sat 07, 2009 11:37 pm
Posts: 2949
Location: Sayreville, NJ 08872
Sonar CD-2

Attachment:
SonarCD-2.jpg
SonarCD-2.jpg [ 275.1 KiB | Viewed 871 times ]

The Sonar CD-2 was also reviewed in QST Magazine, May 1955, page 38

_________________
Pete, WA2CWA - "A cluttered desk is a sign of genius"
https://www.manualman.com


Last edited by manualman on Jun Mon 28, 2021 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recent glut of gonset communicators from civil defense?
PostPosted: Jun Mon 28, 2021 1:25 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul Fri 21, 2017 9:58 pm
Posts: 3064
Location: Erie, Pa.
Hue Miller wrote:
I worked in a Seattle electronics surplus store and i recall a quantity of CD stuff showing up somewhere in 1977 - 1978. This possibly could have correlated with the end of HF AM at close of 1976, as the Navy got rid of the last of its AM equipment then, and also all the old 2 MHz boat radios were retired. The CD sets we got to sell were Gonsets, Sonar CD-2's and a couple Harvey Wells TBS-50. I think some of these sets had the CD triangle painted on the side. In storage i still have a yellow painted wooden box from this load of gear, i think the box has the CD logo on it also and maybe i should bring it back and offer it for some CD collector. The VHF AM Gonsets never in the least attracted me, but i thought the SONAR CD-6 ( 6 meters model ) was a very interesting good looking set. I have only seen one at a hamfest and that was at Seaside maybe 15 years ago, but at the time it seemed larger than i had remembered, and i concluded the (size + weight )/ fun quotient was probably not high enough for me. Now i would be tempted to buy one just to learn what's inside, then pass it on to some other collector. Have a look at the SONAR CD-6 or CD-2 and tell me that isn't an intriguing, proper looking radio. Come to think of it now, that yellow box i have is about the right size for a Gonset VHF radio.


Found the Harvey Wells, sharp transmitter!

Couldn't find an image of the Sonar!

_________________
"Invisible airwaves crackle with life
Bright antenna bristle with the energy"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recent glut of gonset communicators from civil defense?
PostPosted: Jun Mon 28, 2021 1:26 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul Fri 21, 2017 9:58 pm
Posts: 3064
Location: Erie, Pa.
manualman wrote:
Sonar CD-2

Attachment:
SonarCD-2.jpg



There it is!


:D

_________________
"Invisible airwaves crackle with life
Bright antenna bristle with the energy"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recent glut of gonset communicators from civil defense?
PostPosted: Jun Mon 28, 2021 3:25 am 
Member

Joined: Jun Sun 15, 2014 5:37 pm
Posts: 1483
Location: Montreal, Quebec
With double conversion receiver, that CD-2, would have been better than a Communicator, and other low end rigs.

Though, you couod hook a shortwave receiver to the IF to improve reception, the Communicator gaving an IF above the broadcast band.

In 1968 there was a mod in "73" , add a crystal oscillator so an IF stage is acting like a mixer, and change an IF transformer or two. Get double conversion, and better selectivity.

A bit closer tothe Heathkit Shawnee and Pawnee.


Top
 Profile  
 
Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 14 posts ]  Moderator: Sandy

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: wd5jfr and 8 guests



Search for:
Jump to:  




































Privacy Policy :: Powered by phpBB