Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Thu 09, 2021 6:21 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Now, Paypal wants my cell number
PostPosted: Aug Sat 28, 2021 9:41 am 
Site Admin

In 2018, a government survey found that almost 55 percent of households use cellphones exclusively, up from less than 10 percent in 2005. Another 36 percent have both a mobile phone and a working landline. Just over 5 percent of those surveyed said they relied entirely on a landline, compared with over a third of households in 2005. The remaining 3 percent said they didn't have a phone.
Attachment:
mobile_v_landline.jpg
mobile_v_landline.jpg [ 90.28 KiB | Viewed 449 times ]

PostPosted: Aug Sat 28, 2021 10:13 am 

Indiana Radios wrote:
The people responsible for making PayPal's rules and maintaining it's website are all young people, many of whome grew up in a world without landline telephones. To them, all phones are considered cell phones which is really lazy thinking. They think of landline phones as being part of the past, just like the party line crank telephones are. Many of them don't understand why some people still cling onto landline phones in this day and age. It's going to get more like this as time goes by so you better get ready to deal with it.

People who insist on clinging onto landline telephones are now considered to be a minority and catering to their needs are of little concern to many businesses, especially new high tech businesses.

Young whippersnappers! They can take my landline wired phone when they pry my cold dead hands...

This thing can also act as a club in case of a home invasion. Try THAT with a plastic cell phone, Mr. Smarty pants!

PostPosted: Aug Sat 28, 2021 10:44 am 

OldWireBender wrote:
This problem is similar to the radio contests I-Heart (?) runs from time to time. "Text <some number> to xxx-xxx-xxxx for a chance to win $1000." Can't enter if you don't have a cell phone. It's just assumed everyone has one.
John

That's similar to the discounts that they print on the receipts at Dollar General. I went to try to use one, and they said "Oh, you have to use the DG app on your smart phone to redeem that." :roll:

PostPosted: Aug Sun 29, 2021 9:45 pm 

My "landline" phone is actually VOIP through my cable modem. I can plug my candlestick phone into the VOIP modem (adapter plug), and it works fine for receiving calls. Can't dial out, but on incoming calls, the candlestick actually has better voice quality than any modern phone I own.

PostPosted: Aug Mon 30, 2021 5:57 am 

A lot of employers & landlords now require SSNs not for criminal background checks, but for credit rating checks. Depending on your type of work, employers simply don't want you if your credit rating is bad or nonexistent.

PostPosted: Aug Mon 30, 2021 6:59 am 
Site Admin

fifties wrote:
Wow! You have one with a dial on it! Very modern of you.

PostPosted: Aug Mon 30, 2021 7:56 am 

Alan Voorhees wrote:
fifties wrote:
Wow! You have one with a dial on it! Very modern of you.

It was upgraded in 1945... :wink:

PostPosted: Aug Tue 31, 2021 4:18 am 

Hahaha! I remember on KEZW 1430 I called when I was 14 years old, and got to talk to Rick Crandall. It was a contest who could Identify the film clip from the sound. Me, who has see "It's a wonderful life" starring Jimmie Stewart, and Donna Reed, knew it instantly. I called the number (303-631-1430. Don't even bother. It is now a sports betting station), and won! I got tickets to an arts and crafts show. I met this wonderful lady there.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 31, 2021 9:51 am 

I've had over 500 transactions on eBay with never a problem using PayPal, but the security has been enhanced.

Some sales go straight through with no problems, even a new shoe cupboard I purchased a few weeks ago for £300. But for anything electrical or similar from around £50 or more, before you can complete the purchase, Paypal send me a verification text to my mobile to enter to complete the sale. It just takes seconds.
I've no problem with that.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 29 posts ]  Moderator: Lou deGonzague Go to page Previous  1, 2