Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Tue 07, 2021 3:36 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Triplett 630 questions yet again
PostPosted: Apr Thu 08, 2021 2:05 am 

tym wrote:
ttx450cap wrote:
thks for info

reminds me of chasing down #6 screw. I dont have a thread gage of that erra. spent 20 bucks so far and have not found the older coarse thread screws. precision apparatus, and many others used them in the 40s. need about a dozen, should prob post in classifieds.

I think I have some 6-40 screws kicking around, but I wouldn't describe those as coarse thread...

I will post a pict sometime soon. it is a very course thread. I spent 20 bucks buying screws and had not luck so far :( not sure if they are made anymore. thks for offer. need to post a close up pict.

PostPosted: Aug Fri 20, 2021 8:43 pm 

Maybe I'm missing something, but the screws that hold the case together on my Triplett 630 (under the rubber plugs discussed in detail above) are the very common 6-32 thread used to mount wall receptacles to a receptacle box. The same threads are used to mount the switch plate to the receptacle, but those tend to be tapered for countersunk holes in the switch plate, so not a good idea to use in our application, as they may tend to crack the case. The ones that come with wall receptacles, however, are pan-head (not tapered) and are working well in mine. They aren't as pretty as the originals, but can barely be seen without the plugs, and are invisible with them. Since the thread size is so common, I'm sure fancier ones can be found quite easily, if so desired (McMaster-Carr 91793A150 appears to be an exact replacement in stainless steel). Be sure to obtain the right length or cut them down, as the standard lengths used in most wall receptacles are too long. Mine are 5/8" from below the head.

PostPosted: Aug Fri 20, 2021 10:26 pm 

Bruce1956 wrote:
Maybe I'm missing something, but the screws that hold the case together on my Triplett 630 (under the rubber plugs discussed in detail above) are the very common 6-32 thread used to mount wall receptacles to a receptacle box. The same threads are used to mount the switch plate to the receptacle, but those tend to be tapered for countersunk holes in the switch plate, so not a good idea to use in our application, as they may tend to crack the case. The ones that come with wall receptacles, however, are pan-head (not tapered) and are working well in mine. They aren't as pretty as the originals, but can barely be seen without the plugs, and are invisible with them. Since the thread size is so common, I'm sure fancier ones can be found quite easily, if so desired (McMaster-Carr 91793A150 appears to be an exact replacement in stainless steel). Be sure to obtain the right length or cut them down, as the standard lengths used in most wall receptacles are too long. Mine are 5/8" from below the head.

Hi Bruce,

I was referring to chasing down precision apparatus screws in a signal generator. BUT, now that you brought this up. I restored a Triplett 850 and the case screws are all to long. The only thing that is holding it together is the center screw in the back. All the screws are about 1" to long and do not tighten up against the case. I did not catch this until I was putting it back together and was a little puzzled. I forgot about it, now that you brought this up I bet its about the same size as your Triplett 630. Thanks for reminding me :)

update - My 850 are 6-32 and finished length needs to be around 5/8" like in your 630. Mine were about 1" to long, left them 1 thread past 5/8" and cut them. They just screw in a short brass insert in the meter, not much. Really surprised the meter was not destroyed by over tightening the screws.

Last edited by ttx450cap on Aug Sat 21, 2021 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Aug Sat 21, 2021 12:07 am 

Hi ttx,

Sorry for the misunderstanding, but I'm glad it led to a satisfactory resolution of your screw-length problem!

Bruce

Quote:
I was referring to chasing down precision apparatus screws in a signal generator. BUT, now that you brought this up. I restored a Triplett 850 and the case screws are all to long. The only thing that is holding it together is the center screw in the back. All the screws are about 1" to long and do not tighten up against the case. I did not catch this until I was putting it back together and was a little puzzled. I forgot about it, now that you brought this up I bet its about the same size as your Triplett 630. Thanks for reminding me :)

update - My 850 are 6-32 and finished length needs to be around 5/8" like in your 630. Mine were about 1" to long, left them 1 thread past 5/8" and cut them. They just screw in a short brass insert in the meter, not much.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 06, 2021 5:15 am 

stevebyan wrote:
Quote:
So, I think the best options are either the Schaff No. 357 bumpers ...

I tried to buy from Schaff, and they would not sell to me. I searched on Amazon after that call and found these: https://smile.amazon.com/Horizontal-Bot ... 08LQ35CSW/.

They arrived quickly (I have Prime), and I got a pack of 50, which is currently unavailable, but the above link is to 25 from the same company. They are a very snug fit, but I see that as a positive. No modification was necessary to get them to work. They are not so snug that they can't be removed fairly easily when necessary to change a battery, however. I think most purchasers from this group will find them very satisfactory, as I do.

Bruce

PostPosted: Sep Mon 06, 2021 5:20 am 

https://www.howardpianoindustries.com/s ... on=product

PostPosted: Sep Mon 06, 2021 5:01 pm 

Bruce wrote "I tried to buy from Schaff, and they would not sell to me.". That's been their policy since before the mid-1980's when I had set up my Schaff account. I think their reasoning is that they don't want their parts being used to botch up otherwise good pianos; so they require proof of a related dba.....which, as you see, opened a "niche" for some other vendors such as Howard's, who gladly sell anything from Schaff inventory, but at a significant mark-up. I've heard that these vendors buy from Schaff at the highest bulk discount, for their business model to work.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 06, 2021 9:43 pm 

Thanks for the info, guys!

I now own 50 of these, which is likely more than a lifetime supply. These are also cheaper--MUCH cheaper if you have Amazon Prime. Future readers of this thread will be aware of these options and can make their own choice.

Bruce