Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Mon 29, 2021 6:10 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Field Coil Rewinding
PostPosted: Sep Fri 17, 2021 8:28 pm 

Hello I am looking for someone to rewind a Speaker Field Coil. Would anybody have the time and know how to do it? Please PM me for details. Thank You ;paul

Post subject: Re: Field Coil Rewinding
PostPosted: Sep Sun 19, 2021 2:09 am 

No offense, but try building one. A few years ago, I had to rewind a field coil for a electromagnetic speaker. So, I made mine from K'nex and it worked!! :lol: The speaker still works to this day!

PostPosted: Sep Sun 19, 2021 10:48 am 

I made this a while back,
https://ehscott.ning.com/forum/topics/m ... il-speaker,
better than replacing with resistors.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 19, 2021 2:29 pm 

Our radio club in Birmingham Alabama has a field coil winding machine. PM me and I'll give you the tech's number. You can watch a video of him using the coil winder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SwWuILlH4Q&t=18s

PostPosted: Sep Sun 19, 2021 4:41 pm 

I bought an inexpensive hand crank coil winding machine on ebay which has been very useful. It doesn't do fancy winding patterns, but just having something to count turns and hold the bobbin makes rewinding a lot easier.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2021 2:55 am 

I would think that “scramble winding” would be fine for what is essentially an electro-magnet.
If so, it would be pretty easy to use and electric drill to wind it.

Peace,
DrRick

PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2021 3:04 pm 

The issue I thought was that the wire is pretty darn thin. Seems you would need to gain some skill laying it on tight but not breaking the wire. Also I had a field coil apart that was bad recently. Supposed to be 610 Ohms. Measured the wire gage and then referenced a wire resistance calculator to see how much it took to reach that resistance. Came out to maybe something like 6000 feet? Over a mile. Forget it! I installed an old vintage PM speaker and a 10 watt 600 ohm metal case attached to the chassis for heatsinking. It works. Besides, the construction of the speaker was such that the field coil was captive in the frame and not easily removed or reinstalled.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2021 3:56 pm 

The field coil I made has roughly a mile and a half of wire, scramble wound.
With a coil winder, I have one of the open gear chinese ones, the coil can be wound in a couple of hours.
I would not hesitate about reparing a field coil speaker having made one from scratch,
it helps keep the radio original.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2021 7:03 pm 

wazz wrote:
The issue I thought was that the wire is pretty darn thin. Seems you would need to gain some skill laying it on tight but not breaking the wire. Also I had a field coil apart that was bad recently. Supposed to be 610 Ohms. Measured the wire gage and then referenced a wire resistance calculator to see how much it took to reach that resistance. Came out to maybe something like 6000 feet? Over a mile. Forget it! I installed an old vintage PM speaker and a 10 watt 600 ohm metal case attached to the chassis for heatsinking. It works. Besides, the construction of the speaker was such that the field coil was captive in the frame and not easily removed or reinstalled.
Replacement speaker, fine, if it is a one of...

There are methods for adding tension and de-spooling wire. These can be made with simple materials. Winding is a relatively easy skill. Though YouTube offers "some" teaching. Looking for manufacturers vids is often far more informative. Pressing into service materials like gummed tape and hard pressed paper from the art store.

chas

PostPosted: Sep Tue 21, 2021 4:55 am 

Determine the right gauge and length of wire needed, allocate a solid evening's worth of time, and it can be done fairly easily. It just requires patience and some care. About 12 years ago I rewound the field coil for the speaker in my 32-volt L-Tatro farm set, which had been fried when someone plugged it into 120VAC. It works well.
R/ John