Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Thu 09, 2021 6:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: voice of music model 62 speakers - what to do?
PostPosted: Sep Wed 22, 2021 6:04 pm 

Hi to everyone, I have a pair of vom model 62 speakers almost mint. I am not trying to sell them here. so please mr. moderator, please do not delete this. What I am trying to find out is do these things have much of a following, or am I better to just donate to goodwill, etc. By the time involved to pack and ship something, it has to be worth something. Were these high end speakers, or just garage or white van speakers?

my thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: voice of music model 62 speakers - what to do?
PostPosted: Sep Wed 22, 2021 10:04 pm 

Here's a pair that sold for a whopping $11 on the Goodwill auction site.

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/79859427

Not exactly audiophile or even classic audiophile. No Jensen, Magnavox, or Altic Lansing speakers anywhere but it does have an impressive crossover...two capacitors, one for each speaker. I say best donate it to Goodwill or to a local independent stereo shop where they might be able to sell it for a few bucks.

Last edited by Indiana Radios on Sep Wed 22, 2021 10:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 22, 2021 10:08 pm 

They don't look like anything special to me. Closed/completed eBay sales show nothing. There are a few listings currently. You can follow those and see if they sell.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 22, 2021 10:14 pm 

Not high end speakers, but not junk either. They're compromised by the design goal of a thin enclosure, but I rather liked the set I had.
Attachment:
V-M Model 62 advertising brochure page 1.png
V-M Model 62 advertising brochure page 1.png [ 568.46 KiB | Viewed 638 times ]

Attachment:
V-M Model 62 advertising brochure page 2.png
V-M Model 62 advertising brochure page 2.png [ 537.5 KiB | Viewed 638 times ]

Edit: But don't expect to get money much for them.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 22, 2021 10:36 pm 

I expect there is a very small demand from a few owners of VM stereo equipment that would like to have a pair of genuine VM speakers to use. They are very basic speakers though, and 14,000 on the high end of response is not truly high fidelity, although they probably sound OK with a 10 or 20 watt amplifier of that era.

But as you point out, shipping is out of the question.

The value would not be very much, so I like the idea to donate them now and get them out of the way.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 23, 2021 1:05 pm 

Voice of Music equipment has a very small cult following, but virtually none of their equipment other than tube amplifiers fetch any appreciable money. The company was known best for economy minded record changers and tape recorders. One of their best and respectable solid state receiver models, the 1520-1 was up on the auction site a month or so ago with no reserve, and there was not even one bid on it. They weren't garbage or white van speakers, but as you can see internally were just the typical low end consumer items that VOM was famous for.

-Mark-

PostPosted: Sep Tue 28, 2021 7:28 pm 

I have a pair hanging on the wall behind my computer desk as computer speakers. They don't sound bad, but it did take some work. The cabinets are nicely made, and the reverse magnet woofer is interesting.

As found, mine lacked bass, and had too much mid range. The woofer goes pretty high into the mid range, and the 3" tweeter goes pretty low. The mid range driver overlapped with both, and just made the treble and bass seem even weaker. I suspect they wanted to be able to advertise them as 3 way speakers, and boost sensitivity for working with their own low powered amplifiers.

The cloth woofer surrounds had stiffened with age, so I replaced those. They were still mid range heavy, so I completely disconnected the mid range and added an inductor in series with the woofer. I forget if I changed the tweeter cap's value, but I can check my notes if anyone is interested.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 08, 2021 1:01 pm 

ac wrote:
I have a pair hanging on the wall behind my computer desk as computer speakers. They don't sound bad, but it did take some work. The cabinets are nicely made, and the reverse magnet woofer is interesting.

As found, mine lacked bass, and had too much mid range. The woofer goes pretty high into the mid range, and the 3" tweeter goes pretty low. The mid range driver overlapped with both, and just made the treble and bass seem even weaker. I suspect they wanted to be able to advertise them as 3 way speakers, and boost sensitivity for working with their own low powered amplifiers.

The cloth woofer surrounds had stiffened with age, so I replaced those. They were still mid range heavy, so I completely disconnected the mid range and added an inductor in series with the woofer. I forget if I changed the tweeter cap's value, but I can check my notes if anyone is interested.

Now what I would do if I had a pair is figure the necessary inductor value for the midrange and put it in series with it as that will form a low pass filter so that the midrange and tweeter didn't overlap.

Given the 14KHz response I'd either replace the stock tweeter with a dome tweeter or I would add a dome tweeter crossed over at about 13KHz and I'd put an inductor in series with the stock tweeter so that it has a low pass equal to the crossover frequency of the dome tweeter.