Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sat 04, 2021 11:47 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Are covers of popular songs ever as good as the original
PostPosted: Sep Sun 26, 2021 5:26 am 

Hi all. How about a song from Burt Bacharach & Hal David wrote and was recorded by Richard Chamberlain in 1963, Dionne Warwick 1963, she had a rerecord with a 1964 release, Dusty Springfeild recoreded it in 1964 but released it in 1967, Burt Bacharach released a version after the hit in 1971. It was covered by many others but the cover that was the most successful was done by Karen and Richard Carpenter and the song was They Long To Be Close To You released in 1970.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 26, 2021 2:17 pm 

Audioman wrote:
Hi all. How about a song from Burt Bacharach & Hal David wrote and was recorded by Richard Chamberlain in 1963, Dionne Warwick 1963, she had a rerecord with a 1964 release, Dusty Springfeild recoreded it in 1964 but released it in 1967, Burt Bacharach released a version after the hit in 1971. It was covered by many others but the cover that was the most successful was done by Karen and Richard Carpenter and the song was They Long To Be Close To You released in 1970.

They were incredible writers. Another song was "Always something there to remind me" by Naked Eyes, originally done by Dionne Warwick. I'm assuming they wrote that too. According to Wikipedia RB Greaves recorded it too and was released in 1970.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 08, 2021 4:07 am 

The well done covers that come to mind are songs that were written by brilliant songwriters who didn't have especially good singing voices. Bruce Springsteen is one, and Leonard Cohen is another. So a lot of their songs were covered many times by other artists. Some of those covers were mediocre, but others were brilliant. Here are two that I like.

Bruce Springsteen's Born to Run performed by Frankie goes to Hollywood
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqbwOyr5Alc

Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah performed by k.d. lang
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYiMJ2bC65A

And BTW, k d lang's covers of Roy Orbison's songs are also very well done. Don't know if they're better than the originals, but they're very good, as are her duets with Roy Orbison.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 08, 2021 5:04 am 

"Because The Night" performed by Patti Smith was a great song written by her and Bruce Springsteen.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 08, 2021 12:18 pm 

westcoastjohn wrote:
What band or group does that cover of "Hooked On A Feeling" with the weird noises instead of the original arrangement with the Vinnie Bell electric sitar and BJ Thomas, may he RIP? Never mind, I don't wanna know. It' a bad earworm, that one.

Elvis did some great covers, but mostly new songs as he was a super star and people brought their music to him. But there is one notable exception we discussed before - "Suspicion" by Terry Stafford sounds so much like Elvis, it's actually better than the Elvis original. The musical arrangement with the horns, background singers and the organ or is that an early synthesizer? all came together for that particular cover, and it was a major hit that still gets airplay.

I recall the Stafford version being played frequently on 77 WABC, NYC back when it charted, never heard the original. I figured Stafford was doing a tribute to Elvis thing. If I had the task of producing another cover of the song I would take a pass. The Stafford version production is perfect and I can't think of any way to change it that could be an improvement.
The "synthesizer" sound is likely a mellotron. They are capable of producing a vast array of instruments including a full drum set and percussion. The samples in this case are a number of tape loops recorded and played back at 30 ips. When tuned up mechanically and with fresh loops their sound is stunning.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 08, 2021 12:33 pm 

mblack wrote:
I was just reading that somewhere. I don't think I knew it before.

Santana formed his Santana Blues Band in 1966, so nominally early in the San Francisco scene. But when they playedat a Family Dog concert in 1967, Chet Helms told them they'd get no where with the latin influence. Which is apparently why they "suddenltpy" appear in 1969, an album andWoodstock. The latter because Bill Graham was helping , and wanted his act on the bill. He was managing them.

Carlos held off on signing a recording deal until he could get one with Columbia. His musical hero Miles Davis was on Columbia. Carlos wanted to be part of the the same esteemed company.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 08, 2021 12:38 pm 

mblack wrote:
I was just reading that somewhere. I don't think I knew it before.

Santana formed his Santana Blues Band in 1966, so nominally early in the San Francisco scene. But when they playedat a Family Dog concert in 1967, Chet Helms told them they'd get no where with the latin influence. Which is apparently why they "suddenltpy" appear in 1969, an album andWoodstock. The latter because Bill Graham was helping , and wanted his act on the bill. He was managing them.

Carlos held off on signing a recording deal until he could get one with Columbia. His musical hero Miles Davis was on Columbia. Carlos wanted to be part of the the same esteemed company.

FYI, the reason there are three of these replies is that my ISP was offline when I hit the reply button, and it came out in triplicate when they went back on line. Mod, please remove two? Thanks.

PostPosted: Oct Sat 09, 2021 11:20 pm 

The Stranglers cover of Walk On By.

Better or worse then Dionnes ?

Matter of taste and criteria , but certainly a strong version.

PostPosted: Oct Sun 10, 2021 3:44 am 

"Get Together" was written by Dino Valenti, later of Quicksilver Messenger Service.

The Youngbloods had the version most have heard. But the Kingston Trio recorded it first, then the We Five. David Crosby too. I've never geard any of those, and only because of wikipedia do I know about them.

But, Jefferson Airplane recorded it on their first album "Jefferson Airplane Takes Off", which is a way better album than credited. I've had that for 42 years, and unless I have the Youngbloods version on a soundtrack album, it's the only version I have.